1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Airplane Crash

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P Thought, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I loved the ad for , I think it was Cadillac, where they used the Kink’s “I’m not like everybody else” .

I was being charitable.

There definitely are bands from that scene that I still love and/or like.

JA is definitely not one of them

So dated and and their good song/embarrassing song ratio is ridiculously lopsided.

Toto'sDad, rad1, aerhed and 2 others like this.
  2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Some don't understand the outrage. Some are tired of the methods and tactics of an industry whose intention is to manipulate desire and behavior, to create perceived need for things that aren't a real need. Those people are encouraged to watch the documentary The Century Of The Self. Never mind Jefferson Airplane, I take issue with an industry that will go to nearly any length to convince a person to part with money (often hard earned) for things that we don't need, and often may not even really want.

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  3. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    The mistake a lot of people make about the 60s and the generations that represented that era, is that everyone was a "Hippy" or "peace love" protagonist. It's commonly made by people who weren't there and have only heard sensationalistic and/or negative biased writing.
    It's an easy thing to do since the media just writes about that one aspect and people get the wrong idea about a whole generation. They assume everybody believed and lived the same way. That couldn't be further from the truth.
    I was a teenager in the 60s. I know quite a bit about those days. I was a working musician in addition to being a student, so I was able to see the entertainment side of things first hand. I was also an intern at The Los Angeles Free Press and got to know a few world class journalists during the year I spent there. That paper covered everything about the 60s, good and bad.

However, we will always be flagged as a group of useless "hippies". Just like the Generation X'ers and Millennials been flagged unfairly and incorrectly. Too bad.

unfamous, Greggorios, Dave W and 4 others like this.
  4. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

LA Mike: LA Free Press! Yes.

Back to regularly scheduled muttering...

P Thought likes this.
  5. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

The VS commercial is one of my all-time favorites. I am convinced that Dylan only agreed to his song being used so long as he could personally star in the commercial, skulking like a creeper near the billowy curtains, pretending to take in the lovely view of San Giorgio Maggiore while we get a close-up of some satin-clad bosoms. It's a minor work of art. Well done, Sir Bob.

tomkatf, elihu and RyCo1983 like this.
  6. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

#AlphaMove

aerhed likes this.
  7. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

We need to pass a law that requires all cruises to use this song in their commercial regardless of brand:

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

The reason that the millennials rub the Gen Xers, in particular, such the wrong way is just that : nihilism/jaded/ironic meets sincerity/idealism. We both just roll our eyes at each other...

That’s a very condescending view.

Are you saying you realize when you’re being marketed to, advertised to, manipulated, but you feel sorry for the unwashed ignoramuses that don’t realize it and are having their desire buttons pushed unbeknownst to them ?

As someone who was in marketing, I generally can recognize the stuff a mile away but I also appreciate a solid effort ! :lol:

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  9. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Put up some safety nets, and I’m in!
    It’s been quite a few years, but I’m game.

10. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

What if they gave you acid and there was no ship...

11. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Ehhhh. Pop songs are little advertisements anyway so if they’re reappropriated to sell something else decades later I can’t get too fussed about it.

12. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

It doesn't bother me any. l can't see any song actively selling cruises - or anything else for that matter - but perhaps some of the younger generation will be curious enough to check it out. Who knows where that may lead them (musically, not geographically).

13. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

14. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

The first time I ever heard Iggy and the Stooges' Search and Destroy was on a Nike commercial 25 years ago.

Skully and Manual Slim like this.
  15. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I wonder how much of this goes to who actually owns the rights to the songs?

Take Neil Young, for instance, who was always proactive about protecting his image and seems to have avoided the latter years sell-outs. Grateful Dead too but they recently soundtracked the SF football game buffer music...

Greggorios and P Thought like this.
  16. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Shots fired!!!! I wholeheartedly agree, but you should know the median age of TDPRI is ~65. Let me get that popcorn in the microwave.....

17. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Bang on in my case, but I'm not at all pissed off at 'classic' songs in ads :)

RyCo1983 likes this.
  18. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Aren't the Dead sort of a franchise deal nowadays?

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  19. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Man, that Iggy Pop cruise was waaaaay out!

rad1 likes this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

The boomers are self-aware. They know this about themselves.

Plus, as someone pointed out, though we were all to some degree aware of it, most young people back then were just kids idolizing or identifying with hippies .

Now, those people in their 30s (soooo old..:rolleyes:) that were at the Grateful Dead show I saw as a 16.5 yr old in August 1980 ?

Those were authentic stinking filthy hippies!* :eek:

Of the 40 or so people that came up to me and asked me if I needed “hits for the show man ?” only two or three didn’t scare me ! :lol::lol::lol:

*Hardcore Deaheads, way before the frat boy/trustafarian Deadhead scene post-Touch Of Grey.

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.