Airplane Crash

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P Thought, Jan 21, 2020.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

This is why Don Draper broke out in a smile at the end of Mad Men. He had figured out that there was huge money to be made in creating ads around hippie culture.

2. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I get a kick out of hearing iconic songs that were a part of my past show up in unusual places. Be it a commercial, a high school band concert, whatever, I enjoy it.

I get a big chuckle when a song with somewhat anti social lyrics shows up in a mainstream environment. That could even be the song that has been sanitized and turned into elevator music. cracks me up.

3. -PickupTruck-

-PickupTruck- Tele-Meister

I assume you mean with the Raiders gone, but it made me think of how bad the homeless situation has gotten and how the tourists and conventions are no longer coming to SF, leaving The City to just the 49ers.

Yep!

4. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

B or C rated act indeed..... I hate, and have always hated that bunch.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I, too, have seen this ad, and felt puzzled by the choice of music......what is the cruise company trying to convey? But the ads that bother me most (although I keep it in perspective) are the automobile ads that promote dangerous, aggressive driving to "showcase" their products. Are people really attracted to a car by reckless, self-centered driving?
    One of my brothers and his wife take several cruise trips every year, and it makes me ponder what is missing from their life to make them want to get away from home so much. A cruise is typically NOT like going sightseeing in Europe or Africa.....it's floating on the middle of a body of water and eating at massive buffets at all hours of the day. I just don't get the appeal......but a lot of people do. Wouldn't a better song be Styx's Come Sail Away or Christopher Cross' Sailing?....or have those been used?

drlucky, electrichead, rad1 and 4 others like this.
  6. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oh yeah? How about hearing an orchestral Muzak version of Aqualung as your Hospital’s “on hold” music?
    In 1995.

7. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Right on target @P Thought, glad I'm not alone. Wife and I say same thing every time that ad plays. It's amazing that a group of advertising professionals could be so clueless as to not foresee how offensive the whole idea would be to the target demographic.

P.S. There's another one with an aging "hippie" grandma in a peasant dress playing an acoustic guitar. I don't recall the product being advertised. It's not so much offensive as it is funny/silly. Again, hard to believe that the so-called professionals creating these ads are so out of touch as not to see that. Don't they have parents and grand-parents?

:(:)

Manual Slim and nojazzhere like this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

That ad is targeted at retired wealthy single (divorced) boomers, especially with the “One pill makes you larger” soundtrack and someone your daughter’s age on the cruise with you. The pills are the cheap part. She costs more than the cruise and she wants to fly over in the front of the jet. Do they think I’m Elliot Spitzer?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

People are still watching TV?o_O

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have no sympathy whatsoever.

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Lemmy covering the Stones, selling Acuras :rolleyes:

11. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Fly Jefferson Airplane

P Thought likes this.
  12. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I'm the target demographic, and I don't find it in the least offensive. But then I'm a breadhead maaaaaaaaan

P Thought and Greggorios like this.
  13. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    Let's see, we now have "medical marijuana" and it's available and accepted in most states. Usage of this miracle medicine knows no cultural or age boundaries. Yet a TV ad for a cruise line that uses White Rabbit as the premise for it's "trip to nirvana" is bad?
    Should they have used Cheech & Chong instead? And made the boat a Pot boat?
    I'm more irritated by Matthew McConaughey and his Lincoln ads. However I don't think I'll start a thread about it.

My band has done some Blues Cruises on the Baja Peninsula and in the Caribbean. I can state without doubt the most commonly used drugs are alcohol and aspirin (hangovers), and Dramamine for seasickness. It seems like puking, nausea and headaches are the big topics among passengers, especially in the morning.

Yes it is. I use it all the time.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
  14. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

It seems like Boomers as a generation largely sold out and long ago gave up on all the ideals of the 60s so why is it really a problem if the songs/bands/whatever sold out? That said I don't know if you can really say the majority of Boomers sold out. The hippie counterculture was probably a very small group in actuality that was overrepresented in the media and public consciousness. A lot of people (e.x. my parents) were never really part of any of that even if they thought it was kind of cool.

The whole counterculture disappeared and morphed into the "me first" generation a long time ago, certainly by the 80s.

This is why Millenials and Gen Y seem to be upset... in the eyes of younger generations the 60s promised a lot of the stuff the Millenials/Gen Y wish had happened. Then once Boomers got into power in business and government it all got swept under the rug.

I can't really figure out if I'm Gen X or Millenial FWIW. Kind of stuck in the middle. Don't have the nihilism of Gen X or the idealism of Millenials. I didn't grow up in the everybody gets a trophy era, but I was young enough not to have ever seen the 60s/70s either.

Manual Slim likes this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The commercial fails for me because I just don't see the connection. Now ... Smokestack Lightning!

16. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Old-Man-With-Electric-Guitar-60992.jpg

...at the end of the day the whole inherently generational zeitgeist is just another bs marketing device to make you feel better when you consume your "generationally appropriate" consumer goods...I got your boomer punk xyz millenial bs right here, you dig?

beninma, stevemc, Manual Slim and 2 others like this.
  17. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  18. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

It's all about the money. The 'peace, love, etc., etc.' generation sold out, if you want to call it that, long ago. It's all about the money.

And yes, I hate marketing, too.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  19. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have Black socks, will travel. :)

JL_LI likes this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Pretty sure the ad you refer to is one of MANY now touting "elder care". Already a large industry, and growing daily, care for elderly people is big business. We boomers don't want to take our aging parents into our homes as families once did, and so we need resources to help with them. Senior living places, assisted living, memory care, home health care and assistance, etc. It's expensive, and largely (as of now) unregulated. I'm especially offended when the ads say "Free service"....like A Place For Mom.......nothing is "free"....it's paid for by the facility where they are placed.....meaning it's factored into what you pay monthly. This is all a necessary and vital concern, but, like with everything, the scavengers are hot on the scent.

P Thought, stevemc and Greggorios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.