Airline amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jhiatt1, Jun 2, 2020.

1. jhiatt1

jhiatt1 TDPRI Member

Posted in a few other threads but so far no luck. Want to see if any has ever seen or has any info on this airline amp and cab? No other info other than what is in the photo. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Be careful.... ppl get angry when you post the same thing ova and ova.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  3. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

The Magic Google has some info.

Jlwctn likes this.
  4. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Never seen one before but pretty cool though. Looks like they have a bloodline with Danelectro, Valco & Supro also quick search suggests they are a re-badged store brand. May be sleepers?

5. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

I literally posted a link to an Airline owners club on this forum (in his other thread). Seriously???

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Solid state amp sitting on top of a cab with unknown speakers in it. I wouldn’t give more than $10 for it. If it works, play through it.

Silverface likes this.
  7. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

If the OP would have looked,
    There are 3 other examples of
    Airline 62-9013a, over in
    The Airline Owners Club...
    2 combos, 1 converted head.

8. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’m a fan of the Valco Airlines. This one looks to be one of the Danelectro made Airlines. I don’t know anything about those.

But the Valco ones are a great way to get an original Supro circuit for a little less.

BTW, Airline was a Montgomery Ward store brand, just like Silvertone was a Sears-exclusive product.

9. Wally

10. jhiatt1

jhiatt1 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info everyone. It is a variant of the 62-9013. The guy is selling it for $60. I am asking to see if it works. If it does I might pull the trigger an buy it. Thanks again.

11. Wally

If it makes appropriately loud sounds for the wattage it should make, maybe it is worth $60. One can anticipate doing works on the amp even if it makes loud sound. If you are paying fair money for tech work, get ready to spend $150 minimum. That would be using the tubes that are in the amp now. If the amp does not make appropriately loud sound, imho it is not worth $60, imho. Ommv... The speakers in the cab might make me think differently.

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

If it does you'll still need to have it gone over by a tech before using it, and if it's never been fully serviced it'll b roughly a $150-250 bill on top of the purchase price.

Every Airline and other Valco-made amp that's crossed by bench has eithewr never been serviced, has only ben partially serviced or was done but is way overdue - since it should be on its FOURTH set of filter and bias caps by now!

Power filter caps have a service life of 15-20 years and amps I see usually still have originals. The amp might work but may be weak,, have hum - or in some cases work perfectly, yet could blow with zero warning...and not just blow the caps, but take out the power transformer.

If it's a fixed bias amp the bias cap will also need replacing, plus all the cathode bypass caps need to be checked, voltages tested. and probably a few tubes replaced.

A $60 amp is generally a $250-350 amp before you can play it safely - and you would be well advised to NOT play it AT ALL until it's checked out by a qualified tech and all normal maintenance taken care of!

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.