Airline 9013a tune up

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
In such a case, I might think either 4 or 8 ohms would work with the caveat that unless the work I mentioned above, all bets are off as to what the amp does. I always recap and service an old amp..even before I started to do tech work. I was my tech’s best customer until he left town, and I had to take the work up.

Augustin187

TDPRI Member
I’ll look for a tech in brooklyn to help me out. I tried to read this thread see if I could sort how to do it myself. Prob not the best plan. Thanks a lot! I’ll let you know how it goes.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Guru?? LOL.....half-raving lunatic is closer to it for me. I am sure someone here knows of a good tech near you. Hopefully they will chime in.
If you want to gain some level of understanding of these amp circuits or even get to where you can tech your own amp, I would suggest reading. Check this one out....one of the best books as an understandable 8ntroduction to guitar amps...You can buy one on Amazon for $43 or read it for free here..
https://trinityamps.com/ForumGaller...R-uK8zEQQSpXffu_0pDI-hU6AoKRqkcWZHK9IkoSSWr4s

Even if you never start teching, reading this book is of value imho. On an even more basic and understandable in,layman’s terms, Tom Mitchell’s book “How to Service Your Own Guitar Amp” is a good one. Rob Robinette’s site is a good place....for free. He is Robrob here on the TDPRI. Aiken’s Amps is a site I like....Tech Info section. There is so much for free these days that had to be paid for not so long ago.

Augustin187

TDPRI Member
Years and years later ;)

I had a great guy work on my airline.
Sounds great and dark and boxy and fun. I love it.

A local amp tech said it’s not unlike an 8 ohm speaker of this age to read 5 ohms…..

I’ve read here and elsewhere that the airline is 15 watts and sometimes 12 watts.

I’m not sure about the speakers rating.

I’ve put input jacks on all my combos so I can use them as a head and a cab….. mix and match.

Does all this then mean I could use my orange rocker 15 (15 watts / 8 ohms) and my Princeton (12 watts / 8 ohms) with my airline speaker?

Will they blow the speaker on the older airline?
Afraid the impedance and power mismatches might not be mismatches but perhaps misinformations!

Any guidance would be great!

Thanks
Thomas

corliss1

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
The answer, like most things, is "it depends"

The speaker will likely handle either of those amps fine, with the caveat that clean sound stresses a speaker much less than distortion. Either of those amps cranked, or the Airline cranked, could cause an older speaker to blow. Lots of people save vintage speakers in case they decide to sell the amp. Your particular speaker doesn't seem to be a particularly valuable collector item, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd run both amps normally through that speaker without hesitation, just maybe not on 10.

Augustin187

TDPRI Member
The answer, like most things, is "it depends"

The speaker will likely handle either of those amps fine, with the caveat that clean sound stresses a speaker much less than distortion. Either of those amps cranked, or the Airline cranked, could cause an older speaker to blow. Lots of people save vintage speakers in case they decide to sell the amp. Your particular speaker doesn't seem to be a particularly valuable collector item, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd run both amps normally through that speaker without hesitation, just maybe not on 10.

Very helpful thank you.
At the end of the day is the airline 15 or 12 watts? Is the speaker 8 ohms? Maybe I’ll by a couple backup speakers! I like them.