Air taxis might happen before I'm gone.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
This made me smile. As a kid I loved Popular Science and Popular Mechanics and remember an article on air taxis thinking that would be a neat and fast way to get from our small town I mostly grew up in to the bigger one where I was born. Of course in 1960s everything seemed like jet power and not electric. I had equal fascination with the jet Chrysler car and kits to make planes and helicopters.

The article also mentions the multi-year repaving project that makes me glad I don't have to be in downtown Chicago as much as I used to.

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I wonder about that myself. It strikes me that air traffic control is already an area where accidents and near-accidents happen too often. Can there be fleets of air taxis operating safely without there being significant breakthroughs in airspace management?

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I wonder about that myself. It strikes me that air traffic control is already an area where accidents and near-accidents happen too often. Can there be fleets of air taxis operating safely without there being significant breakthroughs in airspace management?
Not stuff I considered when it was probably 1968, but for earlier news of this company I thought some established sizable firm or well funded new one might help push improvements to the antiquated system we have.

My feelings on some best ways improve transportation headaches like this such as BRT are just too practical and inexpensive for how our species and country likes to do things.

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Not stuff I considered when it was probably 1968, but for earlier news of this company I thought some established sizable firm or well funded new one might help push improvements to the antiquated system we have.

My feelings on some best ways improve transportation headaches like this such as BRT are just too practical and inexpensive for how our species and country likes to do things.
Our societal safety mechanisms such as licensing processes have in some ways turned against needed progress.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Not soon enough….forget (again) about taking the Kennedy…

bridges%20map.png

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Our societal safety mechanisms such as licensing processes have in some ways turned against needed progress.
NIMBY so often at the core of the messes. Bad news habits make it worse. A much needed corridor improvement finally started near me. It has been in the news and in public meetings for 15 years. Also something a few council members and mayors all announced. Now that work as started an element is screaming as if it is some sort of scam, surprise or conspiracy against the neighborhood after similar behavior was part of why it took 15 years to do such an obviously needed project.
Not soon enough….forget (again) about taking the Kennedy…

bridges%20map.png
Our kids drive to a train station and then get right downtown but that's no good for friends and family who work or live in the impacted area.

I feel very lucky the project mentioned above will only mean I must cross it vs have to use an alternative corridor for the 2 years it will take to finish the project.

Flip G

Tele-Holic
Right. Off to work now, darling. I should be home by 5:30. And I promise I won't forget to stop and pick up the milk. :)

avian_gyroplane.jpg

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
no sky cars unless they are completely autonomous and not flown by humans. I'd rather take a chance with faulty code than with Reverend Jim Ignatowski.

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
I have been to a seminar about 5 years ago where NASA was talking about this exact thing. So it is being developed

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter

I don't know, but they can control multiples of coordinated swarming drones amazingly well already.

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
You start talking air taxis and I start thinking about the first 20 minutes or so of “The Fifth Element”.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire

Just wait for the air ubers.