Aion Vector Delay

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Feb 28, 2021.

1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Back in November-ish my good ole Visual Sound Garage Tone Axle Grease delay (phew, that's a long name!) gave up the ghost. When I popped the circuit out to troubleshoot I was confronted with an SMD circuit. While I have worked on SMD's in my late 20's, I drink way too much coffee now to realistically have a chance to repair it. Plus back in the day, I had the tools available to me as I worked in an electronics shop. Now I just have my Weller station, Chem-wik and a solder sucker. Rather than getting frustrated, I just decided to replace the guts with an Aion Vector board, clone of a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, especially since I had some PT2399's hanging around.

The Axle Grease delay, as well as the rest of the Visual Sound Garage Tone line use a folded metal enclosure, plenty of room for a through hole circuit. I just had to use flying leads for the pots since the board was designed as a two up one down pot arrangement. I completed wiring and testing yesterday, it works quite nice, I think it sounds a little better than the original. It's a warm sounding delay, typical PT2399 sound. This is the Aion legacy board rather than their new 125B configuration.

VisualSoundAion delay top.jpg VisualSoundAion delay.jpg

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

That circuit does sound great. I have built a lot of Aion projects. I love that you repurposed that housing. Very cool build and nicely done!

zippofan likes this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Thank you! It's a good sounding delay circuit, and any time I don't have to drill holes I'm a happy guy lol.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.