1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Aion Vector Delay

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Feb 28, 2021.

1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Back in November-ish my good ole Visual Sound Garage Tone Axle Grease delay (phew, that's a long name!) gave up the ghost. When I popped the circuit out to troubleshoot I was confronted with an SMD circuit. While I have worked on SMD's in my late 20's, I drink way too much coffee now to realistically have a chance to repair it. Plus back in the day, I had the tools available to me as I worked in an electronics shop. Now I just have my Weller station, Chem-wik and a solder sucker. Rather than getting frustrated, I just decided to replace the guts with an Aion Vector board, clone of a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, especially since I had some PT2399's hanging around.

The Axle Grease delay, as well as the rest of the Visual Sound Garage Tone line use a folded metal enclosure, plenty of room for a through hole circuit. I just had to use flying leads for the pots since the board was designed as a two up one down pot arrangement. I completed wiring and testing yesterday, it works quite nice, I think it sounds a little better than the original. It's a warm sounding delay, typical PT2399 sound. This is the Aion legacy board rather than their new 125B configuration.

VisualSoundAion delay top.jpg VisualSoundAion delay.jpg

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That circuit does sound great. I have built a lot of Aion projects. I love that you repurposed that housing. Very cool build and nicely done!

zippofan likes this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Thank you! It's a good sounding delay circuit, and any time I don't have to drill holes I'm a happy guy lol.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.