1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Aion L5 Preamp

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Apr 17, 2021.

1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I remember looking at the Norlin Lab Series guitar amps when they came out back in the 70's, our favorite music store had a big display of them. Much later I found out the Lab amps were a solid state amp designed by Robert Moog and a favorite of BB King, among others. I saw some built units on Reverb from Alchemy Audio and figured I should give it a try. To make a "pedal board" amp, I'm pairing it up with a 10 watt class AB power amp from TH Custom, just waiting on some power supply caps that will fit in a 125B.

Aion and TH.jpg THCustom amp.jpg

I have different cabs with 8, 10 and 12 speakers to try with it, closed and open back. This setup may be connected to a Randall 1x8" with a MOD speaker most of the time. Should put out 7-10 W into 8 ohms.

Urshurak776 and SbS like this.
  2. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I regularly kick myself for not buying the finished enclosure when it was available

3. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

They are available from time to time. Email Kevin he may have some.

zippofan likes this.
  4. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I think I got the last enclosure from Kevin, I've drilled plenty but I wasn't eager to drill 12 pots, 6 switches and 3 LEDs perfectly, then make a decal that is fragile at best on an oversized 1790NS. The enclosures he's had made are perfect and have the Lab Series aluminum plate screwed to the top, very cool.

While I'm waiting for parts I figured I'd stuff the board for my next challenge, a 1590G sized build from Madbean, the 4:1 optical comp. Wouldn't you know I'm out of 100nF film caps :mad:. I could get away with an MLCC since it's a power supply bypass cap, but I need them anyway. And a couple low profile 3PDT switches too as I'm working my way to my first ever A sized build (a Madbean Rangemaster), figured I'd start with a G first.

Building pedals is fun, stocking and inventorying parts is not!
    4-1 build in progress.jpg

Urshurak776 likes this.
  5. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

That looks like quite the build!

Good luck!

zippofan likes this.
  6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Ursh! It certainly is the largest pedal I've ever seen except for some multi-effects processors. An old friend of mine was telling me about an L5 he had back in the day, wish I had heard it then.

The only solid state amps I have experience with other than beginner/practice amps are another friend's JC120, which is an awesome amp, and the old Kustom tuck-n-roll gear that was around when I first started playing in the late 70's. Those I just remember as being LOUD!

Urshurak776 likes this.
  7. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I'm ready to box this Lab preamp, but in the meantime I built a Madbean optical comp in a 1590G for fun, sounds good:
    4to1compressor build.jpg Comp complete.jpg

and a 10 watt power amp. It didn't work when I first fired it up so I shelved it for awhile. The replacement TDA2003 chips came last week, so I popped them in this afternoon, now it's nice and loud:

THCustom amp.jpg

Working before meter.jpg

I got the original chips surplus and when I was troubleshooting no output I suspected they might not be good, so I got more off eBay and Boy Howdy! its a loud little sucker.
    I'm going to install an LED "power meter" when I get the parts I ordered for it, should be just enough room. I also have a bit of noise with an open input which is odd, so it's getting a shielded input cable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.