Aint No Grave

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Uncle Butch, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

Played this one at church this week we had a Biker service. I played slide on it and it went over well. Used my 52 Hot Rod Tele and a glass slide. I wish I had a video to post. It is an awesome song.

2. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Yes it is a great song! Bet a slide arrangement fit really well:cool:

Uncle Butch likes this.
  3. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

dougstrum, I still have that song stuck in my head. Slide did work very well, nuthin really fancy as I'm not much of a slide player. I used my 52 Hot Rod Tele on the middle position and added a little dirt and it sounded really good. Good and swampy is what the bass player said.

dougstrum likes this.
  4. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Reckless Mercy had a GREAT version of that song.

broadcaster likes this.
  5. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

I love playing slide, used to play with a gospel group where where I could use it a bit:)
    At our church only one song I use it on:( Our percussionist, rabble rouser that he is, tries
    get me play slide more often...

Swampy is good for slide, so is ethereal.

6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

The Bethel arrangement with Ricky Skaggs' daughter is getting a lot of attention around here. I don't know who added the verses but they did a good job. Yeah, it's a great song...works well with just an acoustic guitar and Brother Ely singing too! I really like the Appalachian/bluegrass flavored songs in Christian music. They seem to have more of an edge and speak to me more directly than most of what I hear on Christian Radio. I'll check out the Reckless Mercy version, thanks. I remember Russ Taff did a good version on The Apostle soundtrack.

7. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

We played that it for our Easter service and I also played slide on it. I have a Tele a friend made me with one humbucker that worked perfect for this.

Uncle Butch likes this.
  8. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Bunch of good versions of that song but never really liked the Bethel version as thought it was sloppy and undefined musically. Heard ol Ray Hughes play it on solo acoustic a few times and really liked that one. One of the best is this one IMO with Jason and Adam Crabb

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  9. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

I kinda am liking that stuff also. Strange coming from an old metal head former White Metal player like me who has always hated southern Gospel stuff ( more so the Southern Gospel players been around than the music though!!) must be getting soft in my old age LOL!
    REALLY like this arrangement of Oh Mighty Ones for example.

10. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

We ran a stripped down more mellow version of Rest Your head Weary Sinner from Crowder that i always thought came out pretty cool. We do the full Crowder version but to me it just never went over well with that crowd this seemed to. What you guys think of this? Kinda a thrown together back to basics version but I thought it worked.
    https://app.box.com/s/4g5hiq26ty9umh0h5x3qqq3k0cicdhnc

11. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

The Crabb's version (2006) is pretty close to the Russ Taff arrangement from the Apostle soundtrack in 1997. Yeah, they rock!
    Another one from that movie is this one with Patty Loveless....backwoods approved.

Ascension likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.