"Ain't living long like this" question

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Flat6Driver, Sep 14, 2019.

1. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

And Rodney on rhythm guitar too right? He also wrote this song if I remember correctly.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The song was first recorded by Rodney Crowell, who wrote it, in 1977. this ELH cut was recorded in 1978. a Large roster was in the studio or various cuts. It would be interesting to see who did what when, eh?
    And maybe you saw them do this song in Charlotte on the tour to support that album...late 1978-1979?

3. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Crowell deserves more credit than he gets. What a fine, fine songwriter.

nvilletele and Wally like this.
  5. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

It's Albert, at least on lead... this song, Luxury Liner, C'est La Vie, etc... etc... anything she did in that era included Albert, and most (if not all) of the members in the "Hot Band"... then supplemented by many studio cats.

James Burton was also on a lot of those sessions... but he had a very different sound and style.

I love this live video of Luxury Liner from the same era.... an encyclopedia of Telecaster picking courtesy of Albert Lee...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  6. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Yes, he does.

7. Wally

I saw Emmy Lou Harris here in Lubbock in the late ‘70’s around the time that the album in question was out on the market. The guitar player was a short, stocky blonde-haired fellow with fingers that looked like Vienna sausages.I don’t recall his name, but he was a great picker.

8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Albert left in 1978 to re-join Eric Clapton and at about the same time Rodney Crowell left. Rodney's replacement was none other than Ricky Skaggs (before anyone knew who he was) but I can't seem to find any info on who replaced Albert.

Ricky somewhat suits your description... could he have possibly replaced both (Crowell and Lee) at that time. He certainly had the ability with vocals and instrumentation.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Wally likes this.
  9. Wally

The fellow who was playing that night sang no vocals and was quite short. He played nothing except a blonde tele. His fingers looked nothing like Scaggs’. Mystery...
    I saw Albert Lee with Clapton on the Money and Cigarettes tour in 983. Ry Cooder and his band was the ‘warm up’ act.....and he came on stage to play an amp encore with Clapton.....all three of those great guitarists on stage with each other. Great concert. I also saw Lee a couple or three years later with the Everly Bros.

codamedia likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.