Ain't Got the Blues for You

ddewerd

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Here is a working draft of a song that I helped write a couple of decades ago. Would love to get any opinions on it.

Back in the 1990's I played a bunch with a great blues singer in Houston (Paula F). I wrote the music and she did the lyrics for this song way back then, but sadly, she has had some health issues and can no longer sing.

We never played it live or recorded it. I was chatting with her a few months ago and it came up as a long lost memory. I thought I would see if I could get a decent version to surprise her with. No delusions of grandeur or big plans for it, mainly a fun gesture for a dear friend.

So I put it into Band in a Box, and then in Reaper. BIAB is doing drums, bass, organ, and a second guitar, while I added rhythm guitar and solo tracks, plus a rough version of the vocals.

The song is written from a woman's perspective, but I wanted to capture the vocal melody as best as I could (before I forget again!). I am working with another singer to try to get her vocal take on it, so this is really kind of an interim thing. It needs to be sung at least an octave higher (maybe 2) and have a "real" singer's vocal embellishments (at best, I am just an OK singer on a good day, downhill, with the wind...)

But I would love to hear any opinions - the good, the bad, or the ugly. I am still pretty new with Reaper and BIAB, so I know I have plenty to learn.

Cheers,
Doug

P.S. Also posted in "Recording in Progress" forum

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
I like this song. You're right that the melody right now is pitched pretty low, but consider also moving it up a third (which is often the "harmony melody"). Right now, the notes of the melody very often duplicate the roots of their chords. If you start the overall melody on B instead of G, you'll get more color and "lift" in the melody itself.

Cheers!

ddewerd

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I like this song. You're right that the melody right now is pitched pretty low, but consider also moving it up a third (which is often the "harmony melody"). Right now, the notes of the melody very often duplicate the roots of their chords. If you start the overall melody on B instead of G, you'll get more color and "lift" in the melody itself.

Cheers!
Thanks ndcaster

Like I said, I don't really have any intentions of me singing the final version, I'm just not that good of a singer.

I'm mainly trying to give a reference for the female vocalist who I hope to do the final version. But I will pass on your suggestion to her.

This song was written over 20 years ago, and this is my best recollection of the melody. And I haven't played it with the original singer in pretty much the same amount of time. So "close" is good enough for me right now.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Cheers,
Doug

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Except for the word woman, it's fine as a man's or woman's song.

The singing tends to be a little flat, maybe because it's not a good key for you, maybe because you're not really into singing. Not a fatal flaw. Sinatra and Cash were flat sometimes, so you're in fine company.

The song is good. Righteous blues changes and playing. "I got news, I ain't got the blues for you" is a terrific repeating punch line.

For comments from TDPRIers who write, scroll down the forum menu to Writer's Block and post your question there.

Rene Asologuitar

Tele-Holic
This is a superbly-written song.
The melody is so original, and the lyrics are the blues!!!
Love the guitar solo.
Thanks for sharing.
Rene