1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Aikiguy's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by aikiguy, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Aiki,

My favorite red is an Audi color from 7 or so years ago. Totally a deep blood color. Just beautiful. Left vampires weeping everywhere. Check it out.

Barncaster

2. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

OK is there some magic on figuring out what formulas to use to get what color out of your Nitro Lacquer? Really I can't believe that we are all just guessing on the color.

I think that the issue with my first red on this may have been the darkness of the wood shown through, so the white in the pink I am hoping will lighten things up and let the red shine through.

The building I have down well, just this coloring the finish is driving me crazy on my builds, they look good when done, (I like my blues and my naturals built earlier), but I really would like some better way of doing this.

Thanks,
    Guy
    :)

3. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Ok I am in how do I get my Nitro to look like that color any ideas?

Thanks,
    Guy

4. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

If I had known you were going to jump in feet first I would have spent more time explaining... :lol:

I'd say it's more of a pink tint to a white base than pink with white in it... The guy who worked on mine at first thought that the red had bled into white undercoating but eventually figured out that wasn't the case.

I tried to get a picture of the undercoat and final color but A) the bike really hasn't gotten any significant rubs on it (Most of the nicks go through to the base) and B) any sort of flash really washes the color out. (Not much natural light this time of day) And of course different monitors would show the colors differently... but I did go down and take a few pics anyway.

I just don't remember what I did with the camera now... :oops:

5. Barncaster

Hey Guy,

You can get the color in Duplicolor rattle cans. Try Dupli-Color 8802037 (5oz can). The color is called "Tornado Red". Supposed to be very close. :cool:

Barncaster

6. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

not so much on the rattle can

Finishing is one of my personal challenges, I can get really good results with a spray set up and a half good spray gun, I get nothing approaching good with a rattle can.

I am going to try to call or write Mixol today and see if there is a better way of going about this coloring thing. If not I am going to look into seeing if there is a way to get one of the local autopaint guys to help me out with this if they mix their own paint. If they don't use that as a springboard to who does and keep going up the line. I have a feeling that I am going to not get anywhere with that because everyone just buys the paint the color they want to match the car they have to fix.

Ugggh.....

Anyway trying the red over the pink today!

Guy'

7. Barncaster

Hey Guy,

Any good automotive paint store should be able to mix you up a quart of that color. Granted here in California it won't be nitro.

Barncaster

8. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

I know when I'm mixing colors with RIT Dye, I start by mixing two different mixtures
    to see which route I like. For example, in my "Orange Burst", I started first by making
    my own Orange by mixing Red into a Yellow base, and the in a separate container,
    I started with RIT's Orange and added several drops of yellow and red to brighten it up.
    When I was finished with both, I then took a 3rd container and mixed those two concoctions
    together and I ended up with the exact color Orange that was in my head.

I think it's just all about experimenting with any type color and remember to have a
    scrap piece of whatever wood you're finishing to use as your test-piece.

9. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

OK Finally got Red!

I had to purchase an $88.00 quart of TONER for Nitro from the local paint supply place. (Anyone want some awesome red red toner, I have three or four lifetimes worth of it!)

I shot three light coats over the previous pink and here is what we got.
    [​IMG]

All of this painting problems has cost me some time however. I was going to cast my own Bigsby for this guitar, and show you all how to cast aluminum, but sadly I won't get that done by the end. So we are going to install a store bought bigsby on it.

The pickguard, and copper plating will start this week however, so you will all get to see how to copper plate parts!
    (I know you really wanted to see the casting, and I really wanted to show you too. Maybe next build not in the contest I will cast up some Bigsby type stuff).

Any way here it is with the color coats on it. The motorcycle is Honda Red, and is for a comparison.

Red Red gorgeous RED.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More soon!
    Guy

10. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Well there's your problem right there, it should have been Ducati red!

[​IMG]

Seriously though I'm glad it worked out for you.

11. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Or Vincent black.

12. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

The red looks great! Please explain how to cast aluminum!! I reaaly want to try that some time but I'm a little afraid of the red-hot alu exploding in wet sand...

13. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

It is going to be tight time wise

My copper plating kit for the bigsby is not going to get here in time, it seems to be backordered till at least the 15th.

However I have managed to get the painting done, (but am holding off till the last minute to buff it.)
    I needed to touch up after tapping the inlay in place. The issue was that the inlay was tight enough to stay in the guitar no mater what, but that trying to get it in to the channel when it was that tight resulted in it rocking a little while trying to get it in. This chipped some of the paint on the very edges of the channel.

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the repair. I don't think it is going to visible in the end.

[​IMG]

Next while waiting for that to dry, lets vacuum the pickups we previously wound in the vacuum chamber.... (Ha HA HAAAAAAA every time I say vacuum chamber I have to laugh like the evil villain in some B movie.... Especially when my vacuum chamber looks like this one!)

[​IMG]

This is a serious vacuum chamber that we use for investment casting.

This is what it looks like when it is bubbling. I vacuum them for about a minute. The wax actually boils almost instantly, the foam on the top is the water boiling off of the wax. It does that every time since I use a double boiler to melt the wax.

[​IMG]

Next up lets Lacquer the neck. Used some vintage amber and I thought it turned out to be a little too yellow. So I will fix that next.

Sorry about the cell phone photos someone made off with the camera that lives at the shop apparently, bummer!

[​IMG]

Add a little toner to the first couple of clear coats and we have a color that I think is going to look good with the red and the copper.

[​IMG]

An added bonus for the build challenge guitar that will tie the neck and the body together.

[​IMG]

After cutting the pick guard out of copper a lot of sanding and buffing is needed. A lot.
    [​IMG]

Yeah that looks like we are slowly getting there.

[​IMG]

A quick dry fit to see how everything is going to fit together.

After the contest the bigsby will get copper plated. But even now I think it looks really good. The Control panel is going to be copper but I haven't cut it out yet.

[​IMG]

And another dry fit shot from a different angle.

[​IMG]

More on Saturday when it will hopefully be done!

14. Barncaster

Oh Josh,

The average motortcycle mortal is not ready for Vincent forbidden knowledge.... They still make just about every motorcycle ever produced look lame. And the song is cool too!

Barncaster

15. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Almost done

Alright we are getting down to the wire. Have to finish up today and get a video and some glamor shots.

Sanded and polished, and polished and polished.

Then drilled out the neck and installed the inserts, sorry no photos of that. installed the neck into the body.

Ok now for the Bigsby installation.... Look honey it comes with a strange poster. Nope that is the directions. Well really half directions....

[​IMG]

Much head scratching ensued.. Mounting the bridge cover was a more than a little nerve wracking. On a normal tele build all of the drilling is done before you paint. Drilling after you paint makes me nervous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then setting up the Bigsby itself.

[​IMG]

OK mostly mounted. Ready for the wiring and some strings.

[​IMG]

I need to finish the nut up, strings and the like and then get the photos and the video uploaded.

16. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Nice job! This Challenge was my first time intalling a B50, too... that fiddly little red string really just got in the way, IMO.

17. Barncaster

Hey Guy,

This looks phenominal! The red and the copper work really well. Now to get the Bigsby copper plated........ Can't wait to hear it.

Rob

18. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Copper plating the Bigsby

Yes that was one of the goals for the challenge to copper plate the Bigsby, the Telecaster Style Knobs, and the tuner knobs.

Unfortunately the copper plating kits are on back order, and I won't receive them until the day after the contest is over. :(

I will pick up a new thread in the builds to talk about the copper plating after the challenge is over.

At that time I am also going to cast one or two Bigsbys out of Aluminum and will do a little tutorial about it.

I looks pretty stunning even with the Bigsby in polished aluminum. Right now the peg heads balance the Bigsby visually quite nicely. Some better photos this evening should show it off nicely.

Thanks for looking!
    Guy

19. Barncaster

No Worries Guy,

Just get it together, make your photo and video and worry about the ultimate gingerbread later. We want you over the finish line!

Rob

20. tklaavo

tklaavo Tele-Holic

Very nice design, good job! And red rules as always.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.