1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Aikiguy's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by aikiguy, Mar 13, 2012.

1. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

WOW Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

WOw that is exactly what I think I want. Now I will print it out and take it to the body. Thank you so so so so much for reading my posts, and even more for solving my problem!

I will let you know if I need something different than the 1/4 inch dimension after I do the print out.

Thanks a lot!!!!

Guy
    :)

2. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Next phase

Ok so last Friday a week ago I had a little time to work on the guitar.

First thing I noticed was that I had forgotten to plane down the neck blank to allow for the rosewood fretboard. So into the safety planer for a little material removal.
    [​IMG]

Then once it was in the safety planer, I flipped it over and planed down the peg head. Forgetting that I had not yet drilled the pilot holes using my template. So I had to then align the template on the back, and drill the pilot holes through the back. This was a lot more difficult than drilling the pilot holes through the neck before you thin down the peghead, and I don't recommend it. :)

[​IMG]

Next up a little clean up to get the truss rod to fit perfectly. A sharp carving chisel is my preferred way of doing this. I like my truss rods really tight in the neck.

[​IMG]

Hey lets attach a fretboard to this:
    First a little prep work. Make sure that the fretboard in not going to move on the pattern with a little, or erhhh a LOT of two sided tape.

[​IMG]

Next I set the depth of the saw using a index card that I have marked the fret depth on like this:
    [​IMG]

Then it is back and forth in and out of the Stew Mack mitre box, move the stops a little, check again, repeat till it seems like you are never going to get it. So a question for the amazing readers out there: How do you set the correct depth on your miter saw box for the fret slots?

Then we saw away:
    [​IMG]

Then align the fingerboard with the neck blank. Which can be hard even with some chalk to highlight the mark.

[​IMG]

Then clamp it all up with a lot of clamps AND most importantly a curved clamping caul that applies the pressure to the sides of the fretboard as well as the middle of the fretboard.

[​IMG]

Drill the holes for the wiring in the body. I have to get a bigger drill for this, the wires get a bit hard to pull through the holes sometimes.. The big drills are hard to find locally, so I am going to have to hit up Amazon again!

[​IMG]

Hoping to get more work done today, including the part that is my personal Challenge about this build. Ok the first part of my personal challenge.

Guy

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Good progress, guy. It's coming along nicely.

4. czook

czook Tele-Afflicted

Nice work. I am looking forward to the personal challenges you are going to do.

I suspect the board that cracked had internal cracks from the drying process. I got those on the surface as well as the edges of a blank I made from lumber that was not totally dry. I expected the cracks, but I have not seen that happen with ash.

Don't worry about the smiling thing. People think I am pissed off when I smile. :)

5. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

More photos coming soon. Busy week at work trying to get some Tele built time in! Ryden your pattern worked perfect for what I wanted to do! Wait till you see it!

Guy

6. Ryden

Ryden Tele-Meister

Glad to hear that Guy!

I've been curious about what you've been up to, come on and post some pics already! The suspense is killing us!

7. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

More Photos

Whew the boat show is over, so here are some photos and a catch up to where I am on the process.

Using Ryden's wonderful drawing, (Thanks again!), I made this pattern using the band saw and the sander.

[​IMG]

Then routed it out with first a 1/4 inch round bottom router bit, and then a 1/4 inch flat bottomed bit. Keeping it moving was a bit hard, and I had to fill my template with some 5 minute epoxy after I burnt an initial grove in it routing a scrap.

[​IMG]

I like the idea of the look of a binding, without the hard edge that it makes on a telecaster. So I needed a channel to put something in. Since the "inlay" goes below where the pickguard is going to be it was not necessary to route it all the way around. I was a little worried about the lower horn till I realized that the pickguard was going to cover that area and I would not need to have the inlay there.

After that I rounded the corners using the router table and a 1/4 inch round off. This is a little bigger than the stock Telecaster, but I like a little softer edge on my forearm, and have found it looks good too.

[​IMG]

Then on to the Jackhole, I use a forstner bit for most of the drilling then a 1/4" bit for the finish, this way I have less of a tendency to blow out the back of the control cavity and slam in the opposite wall. Also not breaking your wrist helps play the guitar better.

[​IMG]

Then the four holes for the neck. Here you can see that I routed a little farther around than I should have with my soft edge, I am going to have to work that by hand with some sandpaper, and take it into account when I make the neck plate.

[​IMG]

Then a little work on the nut slot with a chisel that a friend ground to the exact right width.

[​IMG]

Then sand a polish the fretboard, using a straight edge made of a steel beam that was surfaced by the same friend that made the chisel for me.

[​IMG]

Then a quick mock up.

[​IMG]

Yep I think that will do.

I was going to get fancy with the abalone on the fretboard, but I thought it would be too much with the pick guard and the inlay that I have planned for the body, so it just got nice abalone dots. Some people like MOP better on a rosewood fretboard, but I like the abalone.

Thanks for watching!

8. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

That's going to be a very pretty design element. Good job.

9. Ryden

Ryden Tele-Meister

I thought that's what you would do, looks good!
    What are you going to fill it with? More abalone or the Apoxy Sculpt everyone else is using?
    If it's something interesting, I'd route the whole body and trim the pickguard to fit inside.

I'm glad the drawing worked out as well as it did

10. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

That is an interesting idea.

The inlay is going to be copper, haven't decided if it will have an etched design on it yet or not. The pickguard will also be copper, and have a design etched in it for sure. The two elements are going to work together in design.

More to come!

Guy

11. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

That looks great - can't wait to see the copper in it.

12. Ryden

Ryden Tele-Meister

Sweet!

13. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Ok working on the inlay. Trying to figure out how to have an inlay not get color coated when the rest of the body does get color coats, then everything coated in clear.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Guy

14. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

This is really shaping up beautifully Guy! I cant wait to see the copper inlay !

I'm no expert but i wonder if you brushed the copper with a lil clear before you do the color coat if that would protect it?

15. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Inlay worked into rough position and length. I think I am really going to like this.

Attached Files:

16. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Ok got a full day in on the guitar project.

Will post photos tomorrow.

Does anyone know a place to get recipes for paint colors using Mixol? Or any other way to get Nitrocellulose a specific color? This always seems to kick my butt?

I have the body painted red, but not quite as red a red as I was hoping for.... Sigh.... Photos tomorrow with a full narrative!

Guy

]

17. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Looking sweet Aiki!

Barncaster

18. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Further Progress

So I had some time yesterday to work on the challenge project.

First up was finishing the neck off.

I like to break the edge of the fret slots a little so that if and when the guitar needs a refret job it doesn't result in the fingerboard being all screwed up.

[​IMG]

Then I pressed in the frets, I have hammered them and pressed them, I like pressing them a little more than I like hammering them. Personal preference, either way works.
    [​IMG]

Once the frets are in I level with a leveling tool built by a friends of mine. (A surfaced piece of steel with stick on sandpaper). It takes maybe 8 minutes with this tool.
    [​IMG]

Then tape up the whole fret board, which is one of the things I like doing least. (Has anyone used the stew Mac masks? Do you get more than one use out of them?) After taping then crown polish and polish and polish the frets.
    [​IMG]

Then carve the back, one of my favorite parts of the entire build. This one has a bit more of a V shape, but not too much. Something that I want to see if I like, if not I can always reshape it a little bit softening the V and respray it later.
    [​IMG]

I like the look of a slightly more labor intensive transition from the neck back to the head. So I use a wrasp and smooth out the transition with some soft curves. Doesn't change the way the guitar plays at all, but it does look better to me.

[​IMG]

Next up was preparing the body for some sealer. Since this is an Alder body we don't need to grain fill, so we should be able to get some color on tonight and get a feeling for what things are going to look like.

[​IMG]

Then there is the question of how do I mask off the channel for the inlay? Seemed the easiest way was to place the inlay in the channel. That way I can run a razor blade along it later and pull it out, and sand it off. Yeah that should work. In the mean time lets get some sealer on it.

[​IMG]

One more look, a wipe down with a tack cloth and here we go.
    [​IMG]

Sealed with the inlay part way in being used as a mask!
    [​IMG]

Ok then the night started getting strange. I am using Mixol colors in my Nitro Lacquer. I couldn't seem to get the red I wanted. Anyone have a better way of doing this? Really this is a question, how do you get recipes that work out the way you want them to for color?

Here is my first try.
    [​IMG]
    Right after this I added too much black trying to get it a little richer and darker, had to throw out the whole batch and try again.

Here is try two. Looks red here in the jar right?
    [​IMG]

The recipe:
    [​IMG]

First Mist coat for color:
    [​IMG]

Filling out second coat:
    [​IMG]

Getting the edges:
    [​IMG]

Notice how it looks a lot more roasted tomato color rather than a sharp red. It doesn't look horrible, but not the sharp red that I was after.

Anyway then I wound up two sets of pickups:
    [​IMG]

Grabbed a burger and headed off to bed.

19. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

One of the best reds I've ever seen is on my 1991 Ducati. It almost seems to glow under the right lighting (slightly overcast). Any who's, the secret is, you lay down a pink ( yes, pink) undercoat and then go over that with a red tinted clear until its the shade you want.

Good luck matching it when you need to make a repair though. Don't ask why I know this...

20. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Ok Pink it is

Ok I'll try anything.

So I sanded out the not quite red red, and painted it pink.

Unfortunately I got in a hurry and now have a bad run on the back that I will have to sand out tomorrow.

I hope this works! I want RED!
    [​IMG]

Red!!! But lets start wit pink to get to red???

[​IMG]

Sorry for the cell phone photos didn't have the big camera with me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.