Aikiguy's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by aikiguy, Mar 13, 2012.

1. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Wahoooo!

It is going to be as lot of fun doing a build at the same time as all of you!

This will be my 5th T-style guitar!

Guy
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
  2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome! And good luck! :D

Dave

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck, Guy! With 5 already under your belt, this should be a piece of cake :D.

I've completed 1.25 so far, so there are plenty of mistakes left to make...

4. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Proof of start

It has been a really busy week at work, and since I wasn't going to try for the first to finish we finally got around to posting the proof of start photos.

A little hint of some of the things to come, the shells in the photo are Abalone, dots or something else may come out of them.

The aluminum bars, and a aluminum alloy wheel hiding under the table are going to be involved too. Not in a usual way though.

Alder for the bodies, maybe or maybe not a flame maple cap, a highly figured quarter sawn board for the necks, and some rosewood for the fingerboard.

[​IMG]

Here are the ones that we just finished at the end of last week. Wow! Sunday was NGD with 4 guitars, and now I am starting on another one!
    [​IMG]
    Guy

5. collectiveoasis

collectiveoasis Tele-Meister

Good luck, Guy! I look forward to seeing your result!

6. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Bigsby??

Bigsby? Hmmmm I like the idea, I don't have a guitar with a tremolo system on it at all......

Yeah I think a Bigsby......

What to do with the bridge though, Rocking style bridge, or fixed bridge?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Guy

7. RogerC

Roller bridge

8. rapfohl09

rapfohl09 Tele-Meister

9. RogerC

And if you go with a standard bigsby, you can still keep the 0 degree neck angle by countersinking the roller bridge

10. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Cool, but, in what way are metal bars and wheels usual in a tele? Unless you are driving your wheels to a bar that plays heavy rock.

11. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

+100 on the roller bridge. You'll be very glad you did when it comes to tuning.
    I really like the looks of a Bigsby.

Why build 1 when you can just as easily build 4, right? Good luck!

12. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Oh that is what the challenge part of my build is!

I don't want to ruin the surprise!
    Guy

13. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Digging in and getting a start

So I jointered the wood there was enough in the board for three body blanks.

The jointer was giving me fits, but I didn't think anything of it, figured I was just having an off day.

[​IMG]

Once the board was jointered I cut it in four pieces and started the glue up process. I use a glue spreader some people use their fingers.

[​IMG]

Then I clamp up the boards and wait for the glue to dry.

[​IMG]

Well since we are here, have the glue out, and the boards all jointered, I might as well joint up the big boards too. I should be able to get two more bodies out of this piece of alder.

[​IMG]

So I clamp it up. The pieces of aluminum angle are to keep the boards fitted together flush with one another during clamping. The glue tends to act as a great lubricant, and without it you tend to get one board slightly higher than the other, which means a lot of sanding or using of the plane.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All clamped up and ready to let dry. Since this is a work day, and I have other things that I have to do other than building guitars, I leave them to dry and head off to work. I will come back and do some more work on these tomorrow.

Guy

14. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

You know, in one or two of these pics you could try "smiling" a little, lol.
    JK, great update pics. Mine are all fuzzy and blurry and yours are, well, better.
    Plus, you're actually in them so double bonus.

15. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Work Day 2 of the build Challange Band saw and router

I remove all of the clamps from the alder boards, and check to see how everything has lined up, and dried. I used a little too much glue on them, so I have to do a little clean up, takes only a few minutes with sanding block and a piece of paper and the look pretty good.

[​IMG]

As you can see there is enough wood for three bodies, since we are here, and are going to set up everything anyway, might as well draw all of the shapes out and cut them out on the band saw.

I didn't get any photo while I was routing, but here is the results of a little band saw work and a routed blank. I positioned the template to keep the best grain, what little of it there is in alder, visible.

[​IMG]

On routing the third blank I ran into something I had heard of but never seen... After routing the body started cracking!!! I walked across the shop and by the time I got to the table there were several large cracks, where none had been before. So far although heavier and a bit harder to work with I like working with the ash a lot better. Less knots, and a more stable wood, but it might just be the pieces of alder available to me?

[​IMG]

So I am debating filling the body with some filler and making the guitar a solid color, or tossing it in the trash? What are your thoughts.

[​IMG]

A knot in the second body I routed out, which I thought I had set up to miss, but somehow just managed to get in the edge of the body.... I think this one will go into the future projects pile, and become a thin line...

[​IMG]

So now we have three bodies ready to move onto the interior routing stages. There is one that is clearly better than the other two for the purposes of this build, so I select that one and move on.

[​IMG]

Next Up Necks!
    Guy

16. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

I want a girl with a nice neck!!!!

Again no photos of using the band saw, however here I am routing out the necks. The wood looks nice, straight and figured, quarter sawn. I like a nice neck.

[​IMG]

Notice the hearing protection, and the full face shield. Routing is loud and frequently little bits come flying at your face.

[​IMG]

Three neck blanks, ready to g...... oh no I forgot to plane them down a little bit before cutting them out...... Hmmm well I guess we will have to deal with that later....

[​IMG]

Another shot with the proof of life paper. Do I have to keep showing this?

[​IMG]

A quick setup for a truss rod route. The horizontal clamps are my stops.
    [​IMG]

Another shot of the route for the truss rod, showing the truss rod about where it goes. I still have to drill through the heal, and do a little hand work to get the rod to drop through, but the backs of the necks are getting close to being ready to glue to the fingerboards.

[​IMG]

I like to use a rounded bit for the truss rods, that was the truss rod fits tighter and I have less to worry about when everything gets together.

[​IMG]

More routing. Sorry that I don't have any photos of me routing, but it is hard to take the photos and do the routing at the same time... Maybe a video of that at some point, but not today. The interior pockets are done.

[​IMG]

I worked a little on a fingerboard, but then figured out that someone had messed with the jointer, (I share my shop space), and had destroyed one of my new carbide jointer blades. So I ordered a new set from Amazon, and am waiting for them to arrive to radius the fingerboards.. Hopefully by the middle of the week..

Thanks,
    Guy

17. Ryden

Ryden Tele-Meister

Strange about those cracks! o_O
    I've never seen anything like it before. I've worked quite a lot in alder but I've never heard about it cracking like that...

I think you can safely dispose of the Proof of Start paper now, I think it is duely noted :)

Remember rule 8! You mustn't show more than one build in your thread or you're DQ!

18. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Only building one

I am only building one at this time.

I managed to get some building in on Friday. I plan on doing something different on the body and making that the challenging part.

Right now the challenging part seems to be getting any time what so ever to work on the challenge!

Stay tuned for some photos of Fridays work, hopefully tomorrow.

I am going to try to get to kinkos tomorrow and shrink the drawing down a little while keeping it in scale. This should be easy, but at kinkos nothing seems easy. I am trying to get a pattern to be able to route a line in the body about 3/4 of an inch in from the edge. Anyone have an idea of a better way of doing this than making a new template that is 3/4 of an inch smaller in all dimensions?

Guy

19. Ryden

Ryden Tele-Meister

You want to route a channel 3/4 in from the edge or a shelf thats 3/4?
    Either way you can't do that by resizing the body .
    [​IMG]

You need to offset the outline by 3/4 instead which is a different matter.
    I can make you an outline from T Down's blueprint if you tell me the exact offset you want, eg. is it to be 3/4 precisly or is the center of the channel to be 3/4 from the edge and if so how wide is the channel?

20. Ryden

Ryden Tele-Meister

Here's a PDF of the body with a 3/4 offset centered in a 1/4 channel.
    If you need it adjusted just let me know.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.