Aging wood

Wyatt

Tele-Afflicted
Well it's my first time so I don't expect it to be perfect. Also, keep in mind that it's a polyurethane finish

Yep. Trial and error is the only way. The more work you do, the more you become familiar with how the materials respond. Professional distressers in the art and antique world are walking encyclopedias of materials and chemistry, but they learned through experimentation.

The steel wool trick works well, there is a good overview of different ways here. They don't actually want to let it set so long that the steel wool rusts, that turns the mixture orange.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
I haven't had any problems with steel wool dissolved into vinegar rusting - I used regular cider vinegar and de-greased steel wool.

I made up a jar full a couple of years ago, and I'm still using it - as recently as a month or so ago on some repairs I did on an old Gibson so they would blend in with the rest of the guitar's beat-up finish.

UV light is a powerful tool for aging wood - if you don't want to use a lamp - just put the guitar in direct sunlight - you'll see a difference in the color of the wood from just one day's exposure ;)

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
Could throw it outside for a while, I've never done it but it might work great. I have thought about hanging a Pinecaster body i have out on my back fence, hmmm, maybe i will.