Aging wood

Telecaster582

Tele-Holic
I reliced a strat and I need to know how to make the wood look aged, without using a lamp. The relicing has already been done, and it can't be undone, so no controversy please.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
You could try some amber tint in an inconspicuous spot and see if that “ages” the wood enough. Stewmac used to sell it in small quantities for touch up.

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
Stain pens are available in grey.

Monty's sells a wax/stain combination called Montypresso intended primarily for darkening fretboards, but it also can be used to darken bare spots on the back of a neck. Brown rather than grey, but it does pretty well at making pale dry pau ferro look almost like nice rosewood.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I have an guitar that had already gotten the relic treatment from MJT, but I wasn't happy with it. I used a pretty complex approach to make it more to my liking. Coffee, ashes, powdered graphite, and carnauba wax were all involved; I'm leaving the rest (solvents!) out because it would guarantee disaster if you tried it.

That said, you need to use something to make it penetrate a bit. Mineral spirits and a smidgen of fretboard oil, walnut oil, linseed oil, or TruOil should work. You can rub the crud in with extra fine steel wool or ScotchBrite pads, and rub it off the same way if you overdo it.

I haven't tried vinegar, but it works.

I've seen the Strat. You went way, way too fast and too far in many places. Be more patient and gradual if you can.

Last edited:

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
For this pallet wood diddley bow I used a base layer of brown stain, light sanding, followed by a clear stain based mixed with fine dirt and ash, light sanding again, then a layer of lightly applied sun bleach stain for accents, sanded again, applied nitro clear coat.

My suggestion is to build one or more of these fun instruments to try out your techniques and see what works and what doesn't before you commit to your guitar.

20211211_080859.jpg

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I think you can smooth out the rough edges, particularly on the inside curves, and substantially improve what you have already.

When something is overworked, sometimes even more work can make it better, if that makes any sense.

Telecaster582

Tele-Holic
This is the strat if anyone wants to see it.
Note: the piece behind the bridge actually chipped off and I did not mean to do that part
IMG_20220127_095159856.jpg
IMG_20220127_095203447.jpg
IMG_20220127_095152732.jpg
IMG_20220127_095210938.jpg

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
The third picture shows the part that really meeds smoothing out, IMO. Maybe the exposed wood on the back, too. The rest is pretty good for a first try.

Did you save the chip? You can always glue it back on.

Last edited:

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Graphite, dirty engine oil, wood stove soot, many sources of dirt and grime to rub in and make look old. Small can of Minwax 'true black' or 'ebony' (ebony is less black than true black) applied lightly and wiped off will gray the wood.

Are you through the 'fuller plast' into wood? or just chipped off the color coat? If you are not down to wood you won't get any wood aging tricks to work out.

Lol, steel wool. So many players suggest using it (typically to clean fretboards) and it is really the devils tool around guitars. The wool bits break off while using them and get attracted to magnets very easily.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's

Graphite, dirty engine oil, wood stove soot, many sources of dirt and grime to rub in and make look old. Small can of Minwax 'true black' or 'ebony' (ebony is less black than true black) applied lightly and wiped off will gray the wood.

Are you through the 'fuller plast' into wood? or just chipped off the color coat? If you are not down to wood you won't get any wood aging tricks to work out.

Lol, steel wool. So many players suggest using it (typically to clean fretboards) and it is really the devils tool around guitars. The wool bits break off while using them and get attracted to magnets very easily.

Talk about learning the hard way!

Telecaster582

Tele-Holic
I am through to the wood. I think it takes more guts to age the wood ain the guitar than to chip and sand the paint off!