Aging - Gigging - Aches and Butt Pain.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Dec 22, 2014.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Take a gander at this one I use. It's a 250w 1x15 but they also make a 250w 2x10 if you prefer. Mine goes 37lbs, sounds great, and can handle any gig I can throw at it alone or run direct to a PA.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...eprint-slots?rNtt=tc electronic bg250&index=1

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...eprint-slots?rNtt=tc electronic bg250&index=3

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Magnesium keeps the hangovers away , too !

3. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

It's not the years it's the mileage ;)

4. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Gonna be 58 soon. Doing more gigging now than ever and the only time I really feel it is when I have to set up the entire PA myself (which is most of the time actually) in a crowded place. What helps is having Peavey PR12 mains; plastic cases and light as a feather, but can handle the volume we need. Powered floors, eh, not so light. The other guitarist bought a Quilter MicroPro 8 and loves it. I may join him in that before long. Like carrying a lunchbox with two sandwiches inside, it's nutty how small and light it is but still brings the noise.

The worst thing is narrow stairs. Don't book gigs at places like that.

5. MGibson

MGibson Tele-Meister

This. I mostly play gigs with house PAs.

6. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Bose PA gear is great on old bones.

7. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

I've seen a band use one of these at an outdoor show and also an indoor ultra quiet show and they sounded great both times. I think of that every time I grab one of our speakers.

8. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

The biggest barrier to older players adopting lighter gear is an outmoded idea of what sounds good - that is, the "I can't get my tone at that volume" idea or the "we can only play as soft as the drummer" idea.

I have news for you. Almost universally, the audience would prefer it if you were not so loud. Unless you are playing for a rave, or possibly for a really rough hard-drinking crowd, the subs and the high-gain wailing is an annoyance, not an enhancement.

I like a little thump and a little scream as much as the next guy, but I've recalibrated my ears and my taste. Seeing other bands produce high-volume sonic oatmeal which obscures their out of tune vocals reinforces my thought process.

Small, efficient amps, small drumkit, and emphasis on clarity are the priorities. This doesn't mean I never use overdrive, but I find myself using less and less of everything except my SP compressor, as a solid tone with just a hint of edge and verb cuts through better.

I guess it helps that I got the loud, screaming, effects-laden thing out of the way (mostly in my 40's!), but I know I'm not going back there.

9. scraf

scraf Tele-Meister

Turning 50 is just temporary, you'll be alright again when you hit 52.

Well, that's what happened to me.

10. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Did a show Saturday but we didn't have to bring a PA. But, I had to park a block and a half away from the venue due to lack of parking spaces so my wife, the bass player, and I humped the amps, guitars and other stuff to the venue. Played for 3+ hours and reversed the process but this time we were able to pull the car cross the street from the front door.

The next day my knees, back,and shoulders were aching. Things would have been worse if I wasn't wearing my Doc Marten shoes. Playing on hard surface for extended periods can really do a number on your lower back.

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

It my knees that are going. If I'm playing bass then my cab is a killer carry. Need an weight based upgrade sometime.

Got heavy duty casters on most of the other stuff though which helps a lot. Also small, folding trucks/trolleys are a godsend for moving the heavier PA cabs in one band I play with.

12. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

yep sounds like you might have twisted a lower vertebrae which can really make your lower butt ache. gotta watch how many of those motrin you take before they start making your stomach acting up. have someone else carry your heavy stuff.

13. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

Try one of the small Markbass amps. The weight makes me jealous every time I pick it up.

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

That's all very thoughtful but we're not that loud and we play lots of melodic 70's stuff. There's no screaming gain or off pitch vocals. Not sure why you're making assumptions but that's on you. Our singer is a grade school music teacher who directs two remarkable church choirs. I'm a classically trained first tenor. I think you have us confused with someone else.

We have one pair of JBL full range speakers and a pair of subwoofers. We play in big bars that hold 150 + bodies. We can't gig with a Bose pole like I do when I play solo at a wedding with a Martin guitar.

I do appreciate the insight and levity.

When I was in college my band had a pair of double 15" scoops and big 4460 1x15 mid cabs and horns. We had 5 Peavey CS800's in a big rack. Remember the early 80's CS800's that weighed as much as farm equipment? We used to load out at 2:00 AM and no one had an ache or pain.

You have to have a sense of humor as you age. It sure helps.

15. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

This is an important point to keep in mind: how do you exercise when everything already hurts? It sure ain't easy, let me tell you. Start with stretching regularly, then you can slowly move to more demanding work. Palsy is no joke, and you deserve a standing O just for continuing to perform, tonytrout.

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen those in my local store. I intend to give them a try from looking at the reviews. The 12" combo looks nice.

Thanks. Maybe a last minute Xmas present.

17. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

The older I get, the heavier my amp gets.

18. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Trick is to be successful enough to pay roadies when you been around that long.

You think Mick and Keef 'd still be at it if they had to schlep their own gear?!

19. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

It's natural selection. Death by gear. :lol:

20. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Well, I've had to stop for now due to other breathing-related/oxygen deprivation issues which have suddenly made their ugly face appear but, hopefully, after January and they do a heart cath on me in Atlanta, GA to find out where a rogue vein is that's causing my breathing issues requiring the use of O2, I can start gigging again and ditch the O2 for good. I miss playing, to be honest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.