Aging - Gigging - Aches and Butt Pain.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Dec 22, 2014.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

:neutral:

There are lots of bad jokes about our parts going to hell when we pass 50.

I'm starting to think that there is no joking.

I turned 50 this year and I just don't understand how one passing year can make such a difference in aches and pains from lifting things.

I gig a Deluxe Reverb. I have to carry it up and down a flight of stairs at home.

I have two JBL 1 x 15 + horn cabs that weigh 47 pounds each. I have to carry those up and down stairs.

Our other guitar player has some nice 1 x 18 subs that go under my JBL's. I go over to his house and help him put those in his truck.

I have two Crown power amps and wireless mic rackmount gear and vocal effects and a 16 channel mixer in a DJ rack mount case. That cube is heavy (maybe 70 pounds) and we lift it into the truck together.

Lights don't weigh much. Drum cases are easy. Our bass player has a 64 Bassman and cab (it's kind of heavy but two of lift it).

We played at a local pub on Saturday and I feel like someone beat me with their fists. I feel like a pulled a muscle in my rear end and I'm walking funny at my office. I'm eating Motrin like there's no tomorrow.

It's pathetic really. Seems like I shouldn't get hurt moving this.....

[​IMG]

What's happening to me? Do any of you older guys ache after gigs? I hope you'll admit it. I'm laughing at myself.

I'm on the right. Old farts rocking. I got an AARP card in the mail the other day. I don't understand.

[​IMG]

Does anyone else's butt hurt?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

One of my bands got a little bit of online rib-poking, for being old. I just laughed and told the guys "Y'know, any kid can rock. It's when you are old, and you ache and things are giving out and have responsibilities like career, mortgage, family, and you're STILL at it, that's friggin HARDCORE!!!"

Sat afternoon I about threw my back out on our big finale IN REHEARSAL. The drums were going crazy and I was hitting the big last chord and I slid to my knees, bent over backwards...... and had a hard time getting back up. We gigged Sat night and luckily by then I was good to go

3. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

you can pull a muscle at anytime in life...but you are also more likely to pull one as you get older

maybe its time to get lighter amps...or start working out a bit to increase your strength...maybe do some stretching before lugging the amps from one place to another

4. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

My butt's fine (thanks for asking).

That's some "footprint" you guys have there!

5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

You have too much gear......Or maybe you need it.
    We only use our own gear as sound , PA only for singing. One Dynacord Powermate mixer , and two JBL 15´s , if we are just supposed to show up at an event. If there is no time for a sound check , we just use the same levels as in the practice room.
    From we roll in to the first count 10- 12 minutes , if the drummer hurries up....
    BTW , I will be 50 in two days time , and I use Super Reverbs almost exclusively.
    When the drummer is ready , I have had ample time to set up the jbl´s , 3 mic´s and the mixer , and its 1-2-3-4....
    I know you cant do that everywhere , but we mostly play these kinds of gigs and it is a blessing.....
    To be fair , as often as I can I lure my son into lifting the Super Reverb ,LOL

6. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I woke up this morning and thought I was dead. Nothing hurt! Then I moved...

Getting old is not for the squeamish or faint-of-heart. I'm 65 now, so I'm officially old and have the Medicare card to prove it.

Getting old certainly beats the alternative!

7. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

I carry lighter stuff around nowadays.
    Powered mixer,no subs,light Tele,small suitcase.
    I have a real small PA as well that weighs less than my 2 x 12 amps do.
    Light stuff is better !

JJ

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm an old wreck.
    Discectomy, hernia, etc.
    Both as the result of "humping gear".
    I just pretend it didn't happen.
    I'm also much more careful, and I use simpler, smaller, lighter gear.
    Most of my comrades in arms are my age, or older, and equally infirm.
    I circumvent back and booty pain by standing, moving (a little) and only sitting
    when playing (semi) demanding instrumentals.
    Works for me.
    I almost never do gigs where the PA has to "thump".
    I actually love Roland Cube amps and "stick" PAs.
    The phone keeps ringing, so, so far, so good!

9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

We are all about 60.
    Got a botique amp that weights under 28lbs
    Switched all our main pa to NEO plastic cabs.15" super light..
    Have not bi-amped since 80's...have power mixer
    I ache....have a beer when I get home...watch gilligan island reruns...mellow right out..
    Not too bad..

10. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

I would have thought of something pithy to post in response but I would end up being the butt of my own joke.

11. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

that is one heck of a big stage area you guys got there. I am envious!

I don't bring much gear, but every bit of it seems heavier than it should.

I recently switched to bass - I needed an amp RIGHT NOW and I bought a 450-watt head with a 4x10 cab that weigh more than all my other amps put together.

Even my old P-bass, which is remarkably light, became too heavy for those 4-hour shows. I bought a little tiny toy bass and that akes it all much easier.

12. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

I play in a seven piece classic soul band. We happily pay a sound guy on all but the smallest jobs. I play a Super Champ XD and line it out or mic it on the larger jobs. If I needed more stage volume than the Super Champ, I wouldn't want to play in the band.

Feeling beat up after a gig can be the result of many factors including hauling heavy gear, playing in a smoky place (thankfully rare to non-existent these days), drinking too much beer and not enough water, not getting enough rest before the gig, and, as mentioned, not getting enough regular exercise. And yes, playing too loud.

Hard rockin' can be hard on the body, but that doesn't mean you can't still kick butt. You just have to be smarter about your approach.

13. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

stretching everyday will do wonders, as well as nutritional consideration. The best medication is the food you eat. Mustang III sounds good is light and is much easier to carry up and down steps, especially back steps/fire escapes/basements that we are forced to deal with at clubs sometimes.

14. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Just wait, it gets worse. It sounds like you have a lot of gear and every time you lift you have a potential for straining something. There are a few times I strained something before a gig which makes for a very uncomfortable night. I am more likely to strain something at the end of the night when I am tired. I got a collapsible dolly to limit my risk. I have found I am straining my back far less now that I am using the dolly.

My bigger issue is hand soreness from arthritis. It has gotten especially bad this winter, more so than any previous year. I also developed a little carpal tunnel soreness in my wrist and hand from construction work this past summer.

15. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Our drummer is like most drummers , he takes up wayyyy too much space unless he is kept on a short piece of string...I always keep nagging on him to use as little space as possible

16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's your "huckleberry". Bose has them priced pretty steep but they have very little competition at the moment. I think that will change soon. But they do offer 10% discounts on them from time to time and free 12 month financing. Some version of a PA rig like this seems to be in many of our futures if we plan to keep playing out.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ass-module-and-tonematch?rNtt=bose l1&index=8

17. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

I'm having to look at lighter amps and speakers. I still use lumpy old all-tube gear and it's hard work lugging this stuff around, particularly after the gig. Never had this trouble when I was younger. I'll be 70 in a couple of weeks. Same age as Clapton, younger than McCartney and a whole decade behind John Mayall. If only I had their roadies!

18. Shorecaster

Shorecaster Tele-Holic

I see what you did there. Or not? :p

19. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I haven't gigged out lately due to health issues but, I agree with everyone about the aching back and butt - and I'm only 38. I, unfortunately, don't do a lot of exercise - and I know I should change that - but it even hurts to exercise with a bad back and just general rough health (Having Cerebral Palsy sucks during these winter months much more than Summer months).

When I gig out again, I''ll try to take it much easier. I actually have been having to sit down, period, to play the guitar. I tried standing up for a brief period one night and could barely move after the gig and had to be helped off the stage by my Stepfather and the bandleader. :( That was a bit embarrassing....:oops:

20. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

You bet moving gear hurts.

By looking at your photos, I see you have some gear
    packing to do. By the other pic of you guys playing
    you might want to consider some weight lifting in
    your off time. Believe me, at my age of 55 in a few months
    that extra amount of muscle will not only help you with
    the equipment, but overall your body as it ages starts to
    decline in muscle mass.

There are a few doctors on this forum, they'd probably
    be better equipped to tell you how to age effectively.
    Lifting gear properly is also important. Maybe get yourselves
    those warehouse lifting belts that velcro around the waist.

Gigging is still very doable at your age, but play it smart.
    If the rig is too big for the two guys hauling it, you might
    wanna downsize or get extra hands. Especially when you tell me
    you are hauling 15" cabinets and amps up and down stairs
    by yourself. Are you kidding me? Get yourself some help
    and don't be too proud about it.

Maybe move some gear closer to the door and use that as your
    staging area.

Dude, you are hot after a great performance
    and then you gots to pack and go out in the cold
    and load the vehicle? No wonder your body
    feels tweaked! May I suggest you read up
    on Magnesium supplements to help keep
    those muscle aches down.

I've been a stagehand and live audio engineer
    for almost 30 years. I load and unload gear
    everyday at work. Staying fit and safe is
    priority. You'll feel good about yourself too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.