Agile guitars..opinions?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Strato50, Jan 18, 2018.

1. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

I've played loads of them over the years since I began playing in 1995. LPs, 335s, SGs, etc. My brother's Agile was as good or better than any of them.

K1121 likes this.
  2. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I want an Agile electric sitar, basically a copy of the original Danelectro Coral Sitar. The used market seems dried up, but Rondo still offers them on their site.

3. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

I've owned two Agiles (LP style and Tele style) and I deeply regret selling both.
    Been looking for a 12 string Agile Harm for a while, but, they discontinued them a few years ago and I haven't found a used one that the seller didn't want crazy money for.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I own a bunch of agile hollowbodies and one LP copy, and an explorer copy. They are all awesome

5. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

lol. i've played some Agile guitars and if you said they're on par with Epiphone I would believe you or at least take you seriously. but good on you and enjoy your agile!

ac15 likes this.
  6. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

7. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a wide-neck (1 3/4" nut) blueburst AL3200 and AL2500 12-string. Fantastic guitars.

8. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

If you are looking for a really good entry level guitar I say go for it. My brother has an ES335 knock off and it plays well and feels nice .... maybe just a bit on the heavy side. I'm more of an Ibanez guy but probably in a different class than the Agile so you can't really compare them.

9. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

My brother may have gotten lucky with the cream of the crop. It's the only Agile that I've handled.

K1121 likes this.
  10. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

This is the one I've always been quite keen on, an AL-3100MCC in Sea Foam Green...

agileal3100mccseafoamgreen.jpg

Tried to order one last month, but Rondo doesn't send out pix of the actual guitar you're buying, so since I couldn't see what the top was going to look like, I passed (for now).

dswo likes this.
  11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Those are discontinued now. They were a great bargain new. Occasionally you'll see them for cheap.

I own the AD201 & a few other LP's, Tele copy, DC Jr. Got all of them off CL except the AD. It was a trade. Nice necks. Mine came with some upgrades already- a Wilky bridge & Gibson P90.

[​IMG] Mine's not heavy at all. I can't imagine the weights vary through the line so much.

12. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I just picked up this AL2500 from Rondo as a Christmas present to myself. It's my second Agile. The first one was an AL3100 that I gave to my Son in Law a few years back. My take on these guitars is....

Playability - Both needed a little set up work but so have every other guitar I've ever owned.
    Materials, workmanship fit and finish - Outstanding
    Cosmetics - You decide but I think she's a looker
    Pickups - For many players the factory pickups will do just fine. On the other hand upgrading the pickups turns the guitar into a first class pro level player for relatively small bucks. I put a set of duncan "59's' in this one and it now goes toe to toe with my Studio and even my ES 137 for that matter.
    Value - Spec wise this guitar is now right up there with my Gibson Studio and even after throwing in the cost of the new case and pickups it came in at around 1/3 the price.

Whats not to like?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about an Agile guitar. They're a great bang for the buck guitar.

14. Buckman

Buckman TDPRI Member

I have three Agilest now and had the AD-201 for a while. It was excellent but I sold it as I'm not a P90 guy. It was an excellent guitar. Played great. Fit and finish was excellent and the neck was really fast. Got mine for 140 used and sold it for 200.

15. Buckman

Buckman TDPRI Member

Now I have a 3100 black burst, a 2000 goldtop, and an AD-3000 doublecut. All three are excellent but the 3100 is a cut above the others.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I have a single pickup one that I bought around that same time, early 00's before Gibson made them modify the headstock...

[​IMG]

I switched in black hardware because I liked the look and I wanted a Badass style bridge.

Overall, I haven't really liked this guitar due to it being on the heavy side and rather dull/dead sounding. I've tried several things to get it to sound better but nothing has really worked well. I've kind of written it off as a dud. It is well built, but just doesn't sound that good.

As for Agiles in general, they're well built guitars, easily comparable to Epiphones, maybe better in some areas. The main problem I've had with some of the LP types I've setup for friends is the weight. They tend to be a lot heavier than average. The pickups, electronics and hardware are quite good and shouldn't need to be changed aside from personal preferences. Rondo's customer service is very good as well.

I've actually liked Rondo's cheaper line of SX guitars better, probably because I like Fender style guitars over Gibson ones with the possible exception of Jr style ones.

Zepfan likes this.
  17. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

They are heavy.

18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I have this same guitar. In all my years of owning it I can't recall anyone else having one.

I got it for an absurdly low price from CL because it was cutting out. I fixed it, but it has begun again. I might need to just build a new harness for it.

I really like mine. Neck is perfect.

19. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

I had a dc 2 P90 Agile for a few years, but stopped playing it when I got my PRS SE soapbar. The Agile was a fat wide neck, well made, decent pickups. But not as yummy as the PRS…I traded it for some pedals, no regrets.

20. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

I have a Agile 3500 LP that's not in production any longer that scratches my LP itch. It's not just a good guitar it's a great guitar that I'd be hard pressed to replace without spending a ton of cash!

Agile1.jpg

Otis Fine likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.