Age when you started playing?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by KyryllK, Jul 17, 2014.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

For decades, I have remembered my age when I started as 14. When I try to pin it down, though, it gets fuzzy. Was it when I was 13 going on 14 in late 1967, or 14 and a bit in early 1968? I really don't remember for sure.

2. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Eighth grade, so 14 I suppose. At least thats when I got a guitar and started learning chords. It was the biggest piece of junk guitar ever made. Not that I didn't appreciate it. It was a gift from my grandmother who was the sweetest lady who ever lived. She wouldn't know a good guitar from a bad and didn't have the money for a good one anyway.

I really started playing as a freshman in high school when I saw these guys playing guitar at lunch with a bunch of girls hanging around to listen. I suddenly became very ambitious about it.

I asked one of the guys to teach me how to play. He said he had the perfect thing for me. Next day he brought in the Beano album. He handed it to me and said the first thing he wanted me to do was learn every one of Erics riffs by ear, then come see him. I spent the next couple weeks locked in my room. At first it seemed impossible but after a while I started picking out some riffs and before long I was learning the songs.

I brought the album back to school and handed it to the guy and asked whats next? He asked if I learned every riff. I said yes. He said; "Great, now you can play."

3. freejamesbrown

freejamesbrown Tele-Meister

4. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I started at 34. Practiced every day for 6 years. Started a new job and now I don't have as much time to practice. All together I've been at it for about 8 years. Just long enough to realize I really suck.

5. KyryllK

KyryllK TDPRI Member

Those are some great reviews for Guitar Zero. While statistically I get the picture... I have more questions than answers now lol

6. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I was 14 when I bought my first electric guitar. Some crappy old thing called a 'Jason' with rocker switches for the pickups if I recall correctly.

Came in a nice hard case though. Wish I still had the case!

I'm now 54 & I still can't play.

7. TELECULT

TELECULT Tele-Meister

It was about '78 as a young punk rocker in London when the ethos was "anyone can do it",and by 1980 I had formed a band doing mostly original songs along with a couple of Sex Pistols covers and was gigging the local youth clubs and then pubs.This lasted for about 15 years and after the last band split up,I more or less gave up.I have just started playing again after a break of 15 years as I am not fit enough for any physical pastimes and have to do something to relieve the boredom and depression of being married!
    I will be 51 next month,I still can't play very well, but it's fun trying.

8. KyryllK

KyryllK TDPRI Member

Thank you guys, although I hope everyone around will share their story as well. I got an idea for another question thanks to you...

9. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I remember the day I had my first guitar lesson…June 16, 1968. Got an electric guitar for my Bar Mitzvah. My father didn't want to buy it for me…thought it was going to set me on the road to drugs, alcohol, gratuitous sex, poverty and the depraved life of a musician. I proved him wrong…I think...

10. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Same here, but it paid off because in 1966 the only teachers I could find were making you play the worst stuff in which you had zero interest.
    Now, just about any music store has some guy who can break Hendrix down for you.

My brother had to take lessons as a condition of getting a guitar and I think it may have hampered his development.

I was a Beatles freak and got a songbook and taught myself chords to their songs, even though the transcriptions were often wrong. I was blessed with a very good ear, thank god.
    I found my own way and, for me, it has been the best way.

11. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Age 15, bought a '79 Stratocaster, shoulda took lessons then!!!

Still have that guitar, I am seriously thinking of taking lessons now!!

12. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

I started when I was 12. Right after my first concert, AC/DC, and was so bummed when I couldn't pull off Angus after hours of trying.:D

13. elbohead

elbohead Tele-Meister

I know I was in the eighth grade, Mr. McDonald's guitar class, so I must have been about 19.

14. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

14 or just at 15? I took lessons to read music for a bit after but mostly learned
    things from older players, song books or by ear. Later studied music theory
    to curb frustration. It is amazing what is out on the internet now for learning
    things.

15. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

I was 13 when I started,now I'm 50 and still suck!

16. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

I first bought a guitar when I was 17 but it stayed in the spare room for a year
    then I bought a book Bert Weedons "Play In A Day" and gradually learned enough chords to back myself on simple folk songs. Just before I got called up for National Service (in the UK) I bought a Hofner President and turned up at training camp with a suitcase and guitar. Played thru' service years and then after in various bands. Moved to Western Australia and played in a few bands, then worked solo with my own recorded backing tracks until I had to retire thru' medical reasons in 2001. Medical stuff fixed in 2006 so now I play for a couple of hours busking on a Saturday morning in our local Mall but the ol' arthritis is taking its toll on my hands so I can only strum chords now, I've lost my speed for lead pickin'.. S:(

17. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

I started around 12 but progressed at a turtles pace until I was around 45.

18. Signal

Signal TDPRI Member

19. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

17-20 - cowboy chords.
    Stopped playing 25 years.
    45-49 - restarted but not playing chords. Now just learning scales & modes.

Eddie.

20. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

36 almost 37, so a little over 6 years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.