Age and Wisdom Perhaps

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by slauson slim, Sep 15, 2019.

1. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

I answered a musician wanted ad on CL and last Friday night went to play with the guy who placed the ad. Pretty good singer and rhythm guitar player, had a many nice guitars, including a lovely double bound sunburst tele custom, but had never been in a band. We ran through 12-15 songs older and contemporary, and in-between, with me on bass. Great fun.

At the end of a Byrds song he told me he liked playing with old guys because they know all the old songs. He's in his mid-'50s.

I took it as a compliment. But it did make me stop and think.......

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

For what it's worth, I've never been "in" a band, but, as a sub / accompanist / side guy, I've played with many.

I like old guys and girls too. Even if they don't "know" know the song, they'll have heard it enough to fake it. And generally, they are fluent in stage speak.

That, and I'm an old guy too, so there ain't much can surprise me.

3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I am 57 and think of the acts from the mid to late '60s as "my music" because those are the recordings that were available to me when I started to listen & play. I didn't have a great deal of pocket money as a teen so I borrowed records from the library, and older cousins and siblings of friends; later when I was able to drive I hit yard sales. It's only recently that I realized that these are now "old men" ( and women) . It gives one pause.

Milspec and rolandson like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The truth doesn’t hurt!;):)

8trackmind likes this.
  5. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I'm in my mid 40s and answered an ad from a guy the same age who wanted to jam. I've been into a lot of "older" music since I've been playing with older guys. So a lot of I IV V stuff.

If we ever get togtehr we agreed to send around a list of stuff to bone up on since it might not be as much in common as age. Kinda odd like that.

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I’m 50 in a couple of months. I’ve never gotten stuck in an “era” so to speak, and have pretty much listened to and played current-at-the-time music throughout the past few decades. Sure, if a classic song comes on the radio I enjoy it (to me classic could be anything from stones and beatles to van halen and AC/DC) but rarely go looking for it.

Here’s a weird thing I discovered about today’s generation and music though: with the internet streaming services that have developed in the last 10 years like Spotify and Apple Music, suddenly decades of music is available on your smartphone. My kids listen to Queen, Bowie, current pop, and even Korean music for crying out loud. It’s ALL new to them. When I was their age, I would not have listened to my parents music and they would certainly not have listened to mine! Heck, my youngest son (bass player) is a total 80s metalhead! Ozzy, Megadeath and his absolute favourite is Iron Maiden - his idol is Steve Harris.

Myself, I currently play lead on a modern Praise and Worship team. Lots of ambient stuff, melodic lead lines and big heavy guitars. The band leader is not 30 yet - some of the other members are in university and even one in high school. Everyone else that was in their forties has left the music to the “young people” lol! I mentioned to the leader that I felt like the old man on the stage and she assured me otherwise. When we talk music we are all on the same page - when we talk life, they value my experience.

Weird time to be alive!

Chunkocaster, elihu and hemingway like this.
  7. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

Don't be scared of getting, or being old.
    There's only one other alternative...

mkdaws32 likes this.
  8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The older I get, the younger 75 seems...

When I consciously think about it, sure, we're 19 years into the new millenium. But when someone says a certain thing happened back in '99, like it was the Stone Age, and then they mention they were in kindergarten then... I feel like screaming. The 90s aren't very long ago! Hello!

Kicking and screaming, into that good night... :lol:

Chunkocaster, beagle and f69tele like this.
  9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I'm the oldest member of one of the bands. No-one thinks I'm wise, I hope. I turn up, reliably, for rehearsal and gigs. I never turn down a gig and I look after the PA. I forget stuff- lyrics, keys, middle eights- and I once mislaid my guitar strap, when it was on my shoulder. :rolleyes: Dunno if I was any different, thirty years ago.

The older I get, the less I think I know. That's as close to 'wisdom' as I can manage.

One thing I certainly do know, from another thread- history sure is written by the winners. When you're old enough to remember history being made- and sometimes was part of that process- you are painfully aware of it's manipulation, over time.:(:mad:

10. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I strongly prefer “old guys” when I need assistance with my guitar. When I can’t do something with maintenance I feel a lot better finding the “old guy” who was been working on strats and Teles longer than I have been alive. They are also better because they have lived through all the fads of different gear. They grew up with all I gear I like. They are the guys I wanna play like too.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I'm 63 and the older I get, the better I was.

slauson slim likes this.
  12. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not the man I used to be. Thank god.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

In one band, we get compliments all the time on our tune choices - always from grey headed peers, lol. Its a pleasure to play with [similar] older folks, play FOR older folks, and celebrate the music that helped us all get to be older. I'm still 17, and been 17 for almost 4 decades now. How else would music from that era be so familiar and gratifying?

slauson slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.