1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Aftermarket pickguards that don't look terrible?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by loopfinding, Sep 19, 2020.

1. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

Hey all, I'm going to soon be needing either a p90 or mini-humbucker guard for my tele. I've bought aftermarket pickguards in the past and was only happy once I bought a legitimate fender part.

There are always three problems:

1) the parchments are too green, and the aged whites are cartoonishly cream (whereas the Fender is the perfect off-white)
    2) the curve on the upper left bout of the guard where it meets the neck is always a weird sharp angle
    3) the material is always too thin and it feels cheap

Anyone know of a good easily available replacement that rivals the Fender guards?

I'd modify this pickguard once I'm commited, but I'd like the option to switch back without getting banged another 30 dollars (and I'll probably do an bad job to boot).

Any help much appreciated.

2. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

I only know of Allparts and WD and I can't speak first-hand for the quality of either.

3. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

Anytime I get something from Allparts it never seems to fit.

Edit: it’s probably been a decade since I’ve gotten anything from them. Could be better now.

4. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

https://stratosphereparts.com/

RhythmFender likes this.
  5. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

I've been very pleased with Warmoth. Over the years I've gotten two Strat and three Tele guards from them.

All but one were three ply parchment. Color, fit, and quality have been consistently great. They can do a P-90 or mini hum rout for you, no problem.

xtelesquirex and rstaaf like this.
  6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It all comes down to the right material and the right template.

W.D. does all right IME. I have had problems with the templates that they themselves have created. But anything they've copied from an actual existing pickguard is fine. And they have enough materials to choose from.

7. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I have had good luck with Stew Mac and Guitar Fetish...I have only about 6 total 4 from Stew Mac and 2 from GF.....Strats and Tele....no problems

8. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

I've not had any of the issues you mention with even $9.99 pickguards off eBay. If you stick with 4 ply guards, you won't have the buckling around the screw holes like the 3 ply. Color wise, it's all a crap shoot as photos all vary with the lighting. Fender of course is the most consistent color-wise for their plastic parts. If you're shooting for matching knobs, pickup covers and pickguard you have to go all Fender Parchment or Aged white. I've never seen a cream pickguard I actually liked on a guitar other than a Les a Paul anyway so I never bother with them.

9. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

last one I got was from Dragonfire on fleabay. like it a lot. here it is on my freshly painted dumpster find

Attached Files:

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Allparts always fit for me, but of course Tele bodies vary and even Fender guards seem to vary.
    I buy lots of guards and that seems to help...

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

99A4F2E6-6B03-4737-9663-3177CB08394A.jpeg Most of these look nice but not all fit all bodies right.

scotartt likes this.
  12. Chandlerman

Chandlerman TDPRI Member

E5RSY and Lost_N_Austin like this.
  13. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

A common problem and it's a hard mark for such companies to hit every time.

I have a friend who says "WD" stands for "wrong dimensions". But, that's really just their off-the-rack stuff. As noted above, if you send a good tracing, you'll almost certainly get a good guard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.