Aftermarket car seat warmers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

so I got this brainstorm to get a seat warmer for my wife’s car. My car has a heated seat for the driver, and frankly I love it. She's REALLY hard to shop for at Christmas, but this might pleasantly surprise her.

Does anybody have one of those seat cover/pad things that plugs into your cigarette lighter jack? Or some other similar solution?

Quickly glancing at Amazon.jp I see several options, everywhere from 30 to 500 bucks...

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would rather receive a battery heated jumpsuit or Snuggie type outfit. Something you can both drive the car while wearing and spend the day lazing on the sofa or just hanging out around the house in.

Maybe a themed Jumpsuit like, Elvis, Evel Kneivel, Top Gun or a X-wing fighter pilots outfit.:)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

'Kay, I’ll put you down for one of those.

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, XXL should be roomy and comfortable and a built in ashtray, drink holder and pockets for warm snacks would be cool too.:)

This could be in the Million dollar idea thread. Call it the weekend home survival suit.

For your wife's car I would look for a cordless battery type heated cover if such a thing exists. Wires into cigarette lighter would be a bit annoying imo. Too easy to get tangled up in or break.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Shuster and Jupiter like this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Heated seats? My car has them - but I have no idea if they work or not. Actually, my daughter has used my car and she tells me they work. Even when it was -25, I never turned them on. Wait - this isn't about me...

I have my doubts - and some of the items on Amazon reviews showed that. Fire hazard if these are cheap. But many people uses electric blankets and electric mattress pads, so the seats should work. All I can add is stuff you already know "don't go cheap / check ratings / blah blah blah."

6. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here in Texas we need seat koolers;)

Fiesta Red likes this.
  7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Tushi Toasters?

Butt Warmers?

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

I have aftermarket ones on my 2013 Sienna and love them, both seat and back rest. Can't say how much they cost, I bought the van used with them already in.

There is acutally a funny story about those.

I bought the van about a 3 hour drive from here, middle of August. Driving back from the dealer in like 30°C outside, I must have hit the switch by mistake and turned it on. Didn't have a clue where that heat was coming from. I thought the van was going to burst in flames. When I realized what was going on, I started looking everywhere for a switch. Called the wife to look it up on the internet. She got the manual that showed a switch right there on the dash, but is wasn't there.

I stopped at a gaz station to air my buns, that were getting seriously cooked by then. I figured I should call the dealer who after going through the switch-right-there-on-the-dash argument, told me that the good thing was, that if I had a sciatic nerve problem it would be cured by the time I got home. Funny guy. He guy then lit up and figured it had to be aftermarket and helped me look for the switch, that is the size of a #2 green pea and is buried at the bottom of the plastic housing around the base of the seat.

By that time I was driving sitting on the front edge of the seat. I'm 6'2". Man was I happy to find it.

So now, with winter being here, I'm really happy with them.

9. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Doesnt she have her own insulation?

10. Blue J

Blue J TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jupiter likes this.
  11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I love to subtly turn on the seat heater of the other person in a car. Do it on the sly without them knowing. Watch them crack the window for a bit, then reach for the AC button. Usually takes 6 or 8 minutes before that recognize that the seat heater is on.

Childish, I know.

brogh and Fiesta Red like this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Great minds think alike. I often do that to my friends and family.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have heated seats, a heated steering wheel, and electric heating boost so I'm feeling the warmth less than a minute after I pull out of the driveway. My wife's car adds a neck warmer that blows warm air across the back of the driver's and passenger's necks. Once you've had these features you'll never go back to freezing for ten minutes waiting for the engine to warm up.

14. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

The factory ones are unbelievably expensive to diagnose and repair, at least in the case of a Nissan Pathfinder. :eek:

I like the idea of a rechargeable thingy that isn't a permanent part of the car, although you'd have to remember to take it in the house at night or whenever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.