1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Aftermarket Broadcaster wiring harness suggestions

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by thejackofhearts, Jan 20, 2021.

1. thejackofhearts

thejackofhearts TDPRI Member

Hello all,

First time poster, long time lurker:)

I've recently been bitten by the Telecaster (after playing Gibson and Gretsch exclusively for decades) and recently picked up one of the new Ultras due to the neck radius and comfort.

Although the new vintage noiseless pick ups are unique, I'm really wanting that Broadcaster grit and snap. So I picked up a set of SD Broadcaster pick ups, and now I'm on the hunt for an aftermarket Broadcaster wiring harness (with the blend).

Does any one have any experience with some of the makers out there? If so can you recommend one, and share your personal experience?

Set it up,
    The Jack of Hearts

2. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Hi There,
    Welcome to Earth!
    I just finished a Tele with a Broadcaster wiring harness I bought from 920D . They advertise it as a 'Micawber wiring harness' (probably for advertising reasons). Anyhow, I am really happy with it. Gets a great jazz sound when the .047 tone cap is engaged, but it is a very dark sound. If that dark tone is not your thing, you could probably ask them to put a cap with a lower value. Here's a pic of the wiring harness: 97E4D2CB-1042-4916-881A-02112145EFFF_1_105_c.jpeg

Here's my Broadcaster parts guitar:

0E19F6C1-0FB9-4344-B460-D7C144CAB36E_1_105_c.jpeg

3. thejackofhearts

Right on McGlamRock! Thanks for the warm welcome and the photo's! That's very kind of you. I'm leaning towards that dark tone cap because I'll be able to get some heavy monster fuzz tones with the right pedal. Can I ask what pick ups you have in that Tele?

4. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Glad I could help! I've bought a couple wiring harnesses at 920D and they've been good experiences.

There are Klein Broadcaster pickups in that guitar. They're great!

thejackofhearts likes this.
  5. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I just bought a new switch & rewired my guitar myself to the BC blend with a couple of minor changes. Not terribly hard to do.

6. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I think Sweetwater carries Emerson harnesses. Nice components.

zippofan and thejackofhearts like this.
  8. thejackofhearts

65 Champ Amp likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

At the point where you can swap pickups and set up a Tele, buying a "harness" is just plain wrong.
    I can barely understand the existence of what some of us call a "wiring harness" for a Telecaster.
    Are we talking about two pots a switch and a cap?
    Wire it up yourself and at the same time free yourself from the idea that one or another year spec is some sort of holy grail for vintage tone.
    Choose your tone cap by ear, not by year.
    Super simple and much better built by the user.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

you have never seen my goober jobs. Lol.

11. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Afflicted

so, you are going to have to solder in the pickups anyway - you may as well wire up the harness yourself and save a whole bunch of scratch ... only a few components to get
    [​IMG]

12. thejackofhearts

It's not about freeing myself "from the idea that one or another year spec is some sort of holy grail for vintage tone." So I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but cool.

I'm just asking others (on a forum) about their personal experiences with any particular maker and why? Is it not good to take in new information?...Especially from folks who have the experience with the particular question? Asking the question no different than asking what kind of pick ups you prefer...or frets...or fill in the blank. Also, if someone wants a new harness (or may have purchased one in the past) that's cool too. I don't see any "wrong" in that. We all have different "vintage tone" goals and I'm on mine. That said, I still appreciate your input and I thank you.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

What I mean is that YOU are the best maker of your own Tele wiring harnesses, and I mentioned "the idea" that a particular year was better because you stated a year, but the point was that once you take the plunge and wire it up yourself, you are free to find your holy grail wiring.

Missing is the fact that I believe if we wire it up we might as well select the function based on our ear, since we are no longer limited by the mystery of "THE TELECASTER" as some set in stone thing, because you are one who takes it apart and changes stuff.

I may sound abrupt or rude but I'm actually trying to be helpful.
    And do other stuff at the same time!

14. irie

irie Tele-Holic

I like the RS guitar works pre-wired kits. I used one in my les paul and have no reservations recommending them as an option.

15. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Ditto, I usually wire my own, but I tried kdpaulus for my MIM Tele when I installed a Fralin Blues Special/DiMarzio Twang King combo. Beautiful wiring harness, I'm pretty OCD about my own, this is nicer. I went with a PIO cap, I think he does Orange Drops too.

thejackofhearts and 65 Champ Amp like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.