1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Aftermarket Baja-like Neck?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Daywalker, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Daywalker

Daywalker TDPRI Member

Hey everybody,

I've recently had the ultimate joy of picking up a Baja Tele. I am sooo in love with this V neck. So much so that I'm looking into purchasing an aftermarket neck with the same size and feel to install on a Strat.

I have the pleasure of owning a 57 ReIssue Strat with it's V neck, but would prefer the larger size of the Baja on this build.

Does anybody have any insight on what brands and styles would be as close to the Baja cut as possible?

Attached Files:

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Allparts TMO-VEE. Size is similar, other things are not.

That AV57 is not too far away as compared to the "average" Fender neck, but the Hot Rod 57 is bigger and closer. the HR52 Tele is similar but not; the MIM James Burton Standard and G E Smith signature necks are a little larger and also excellent.

I posted this question in 2007. I wish there was more but there's not.

One thing is true: the closer a neck is to a Baja, if it is good quality, so the value is greater.

People like 'em!

:D

[​IMG]

3. CC Ryan

CC Ryan Tele-Meister

I bought an actual Baja neck from eBay. Put it on a Squier CV and it was no problem at all.

4. Daywalker

Daywalker TDPRI Member

See that would be great, if I was building a Tele... But this would be for a Strat.

5. hopper

hopper Tele-Meister

The neck on my Buddy Guy signature model Strat is very similar to the neck on my Baja. The profiles seem the same to me, very nice necks.

edit: I'm referring to the Made In Mexico model. Fender calls it "Buddy Guy Standard Stratocaster"

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  6. boris bubbanov

Quite so.

Allparts normally always has a Strat or "S" neck model that is an "analog" to any of their "T" model necks.

I personally felt like the Buddy Guy neck was one full size smaller. That HR57 might be your only "factory take off" choice.

7. hopper

hopper Tele-Meister

BG Strat neck

I'm not sure what 'one full size' is. I don't think there's that much difference in size, if any. The shape is the soft V, like the Baja. I only have one example of each. ;)

I'll compare them more closely he next time they are together...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  8. boris bubbanov

I think I will defer to your opinion.

Asked many times on the Strat forums "where are all the big Strat necks" and got no mention of the BG. I have only spend good seat time once on the Buddy Guy and that was in Thibodaux almost 2 years ago.

You've got the guitars side by side; your opinion prevails! :D

9. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

I strongly recommend USACG. You can get the exact profile and size within 1/100 of an inch.

10. hopper

hopper Tele-Meister

"You've got the guitars side by side:..."

Unfortunately, not right now. The Baja is stored at a relative's house, along with some other stuff.

When I read the original post to this thread, I remembered the last time I had my BG out, how similar the neck felt to my Baja. The BG sounds very Tele-like using the bridge pickup (I replaced the pot-metal bridge block with an early Callaham upgrade kit),... I want to do something to brighten up the other two pickups. No-load tone pots might do it, or Uncle Fezzter's mod...

Daywalker: I didn't mean to highjack your thread. Saying the Buddy Guy neck is very similar to the Baja's doesn't really get you much closer to finding an aftermarket neck.. But, if you can find a BG to try out (they're easy to spot with the polka dots), that might help.

11. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

How about a Baja like neck w/strat headstock? Im thinking of putting some cash down for one.

12. Daywalker

Daywalker TDPRI Member

That is exactly what I'm looking for, with the option of a rosewood fretboard and a 10 or 12 inch radius.

I'm building a humbucking power strat designed to dominate 80s rock type songs.

I'd love the baja profile with some modifications to increase playability for those sweeping glam rock solos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.