1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

After using my modeler frequently for more than a year...

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Digital Larry, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got an Eleven Rack, which as you probably know is 10 years old roughly, but you can get them for sub $200 fairly easily. For monitoring I take one of the amp outs to a Headrush 108 on a pole about 6 feet away. It is too cramped to place it near my feet. I also use headphones sometimes and take a single XLR to my mixer for recording. Yes, this means I don't get stereo sounds but at the moment it's not such a big deal. I had used an FCB-1010 with Eureka ROM for awhile but at the moment I just push buttons on the front panel.

- I gravitate towards cleaner sounds.

- I've gone through all the Fender and clean amp models, set up patches with each, then A/B them and I can hardly tell any difference between the amp types using them this way.

- Probably more differences would pop out when overdriving or turning up the gain.

- I do sometimes crank the gain, but it makes me feel self conscious. Like who am I kidding?

- I don't really go for modulation - chorus, flange, phaser, univibe. Tremolo - sometimes. One common complaint about the 11R is that it hardly has any effects. It's starting to look like a benefit for the way I use it. There are so few options I don't waste time with them.

- I almost always use a little reverb, even when recording. At the DAW I may add more when mixing.

- Delay - sometimes, slapback to 250 msec usually. Sometimes I add some modulation in the delay block then later I freak out because I can't tell where it's coming from.

- Some of the aspects of modeling parameters make me mad. Like the "Head" parameter of the Tape Delay. What does it do? Per the documentation, it "changes the tone" of the delay signal to emulate tape head misalignment. Ah... what? So, I want to cut some low end, independently of adjusting the high end cut in the delay. THAT is what makes sense to me. But no, I have to adjust the amount of "Head" (cough). Of course, I turn it up all the way, because...

- Sometimes I flip through the cab options and pick something else. But rarely. I'm actually glad I can't load IRs into this thing.

- I have a REALLY hard time with the mic emulations... they are mostly really subtle and the names mean nothing to me. I think "could I take a little brightness off" so I go to the amp block and turn down the treble. Am I supposed to really know the inherent characteristics of the 10 emulated mics and somehow correlate what I'm after to the not-quite-correct names?

- Compression - sometimes.

- EQ (parametric/graphic) - sometimes

- I set up banks of 4 patches for a given guitar. E.g. I have Tele type and a 2 HB type. When I get the set of sounds good for one, sometimes I audition those with the other. It's clear that I am using the modeler's EQ to compensate for differences between the guitars so that whichever guitar I am using, I can go from warm (neck) to bright (bridge). Of course the guitars still sound different, but it does give me pause about the value of having 6 guitars if my tendency is to try to make them all sound more or less the same!

I'd probably be OK using a tube amp with a load box and some effects, BUT:
    - It would cost 10x at least
    - Tube amps don't generally save presets
    - More fiddly and cables everywhere

So don't get me wrong, I love the modeler, but I use it in a very simplistic way and have a hard time relating to the bleeding edge stuff, even though the technology and available tones are beyond impressive.

2. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thanks for the detail, Larry. Do you do live gigs with the same rig, or mainly recording? (Sorry, I don't know your background and it wasn't clear in your post.) My impression of most modelers in live situations is that they tend to get lost in the mix and don't sound like a guitar amp in the same room. That probably changes with bigger venues where it's almot all PA being heard, and I gather Kempers and similar are becoming standard for big acts.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been using digital gear since the early 90s, and it really is a different approach compared to running through a few pedals into an amp. You can simplify it to that level if that's all that you want to do, or you can dive all the way in and at that point you're more or less playing the role of recording engineer as far as setting up the full signal chain.

4. Digital Larry

Don't gig, and really haven't for 25 years. If I had the opportunity to go jam on guitar with a friend I might buy another simple guitar amp. I sold my Katana so at the moment do not have a guitar combo to my name. The guy I am most likely to go play with has a collection of Fender amps so I could just use one of his.

5. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Cool. Any song samples you've posted somewhere to listen to? (I had a Boss VF-1 I used for a while for direct recording (guitar -> VF-1 -> SPDIF out to audio card), which worked pretty well for it's day with amp, cab modeling, but have been away from recording until recently.)

6. Digital Larry

Thanks for your interest. Here's a few from the past year. Hey I had a VF-1 too for many years! Hardly ever used it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.