After the honeymoon period, which ones?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by robt57, Dec 3, 2013.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

My Goodsell 17. Just keeps getting better all the time as I learn to control
    my guitar vol and stomp vol better......slightly diff settings for diff pickups..

Got it last summer..

2. SlideGuy123

SlideGuy123 Tele-Meister

What uriah said -- I dug my Super17 mk3 the second I tried it, and the more I learn how to use it, the better it sounds. I'm holding the amp back, not the other way around...

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

This one has not had an issue. Your tale is not the first I have read about Egnaters. I will be pissed if it goes funky, when I think that it just do that eventually I wonder if I should not let it go before it does.

4. Stonehead

Stonehead TDPRI Member

Sold my beloved Mesa 5:50 2x12 in February and went tone chasing in the spring/summer and bought then returned most of these amps:

Vox AC4TV
    Fender EC Tremolux
    Traynor YGL2
    Traynor YCV20WR
    EVH 5150 III 50 Watt & matching 2x12
    Gretsch Electromatic
    Marshall JMP1h
    Marshall Offset
    Fender Princeton Reverb
    Marshall DSL100 with 1960AX cab
    Marshall DSL 40C
    Marshall DSL401
    Traynor YBA-1 Mod1 with Matching vertical 2x12

Few weeks ago went out and bought a Mesa 5:50 express Plus. Happy again. The old saying "never realize what you have till it's gone" fits here perfectly

There was something to like in each amp that I bought but when compared to the 5:50 most were left wanting.
    The only amp I would want back out of that list would be the Traynor YBA-1 with the 2x12. Just a killer amp that will probably find its way back into the collection one of these days.

5. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Good Question, I have gone through a few amps. The amp I play the most is my little Fender C600 with the Boothill 5F1 in it. Its got a Weber Alnico Sig 6 in it along with NOS RCA 6V6 and Sylvania 12AX7 (I think, its been a while since I actually looked at what tubes I got in it right now). I plug my 84' MIJ Squier 70's RI strat and I am in heaven. Get a big ole' smile on my face every time I play that combo.

Absolutely loved my Blues Deluxe but it was just so dang loud! I traded it off on an AC15 and never looked back. I had a bit of fun with a full Marshall Stack for a little while, but again if I wanted to turn it up past 1 I had to be standing in the front yard so I wouldnt go deaf. There were a few others that were never meant to be keepers that I found them cheap to flip.

I have learned quickly that as long as I kept them to a reasonable size, I didnt have a falling out with any of my amp purchases. It goes without saying that there is a certain amount of playing around with speakers and tubes that goes along with it though. All my amps do their own thing and seem to do them well. If they sound bad its definitely not their fault :D

Right now the most powerful amp I own is a Ceriatone Jubilee 2550 which to keep it tame I play through a 112 and keep it on the half power. I can sit on the couch and get some nice good old fashion dirt out of it without pissing the neighbors off. Otherwise everything is 2-15 watts.

I am much more likely to sell a guitar after the honeymoon stage. I have two up on consignment right now and just got finished selling a third. I am not on a mission to downsize, I just am finding that I have been going to the same 3-4 guitars and ignoring the rest. I dont like letting things sit around and collect dust when I can turn them into new toys! There are only a handful that have actual sentimental value, all the others could go tomorrow if they had to.

6. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

@ Duke: Really nice looking 5E3 and tele!

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had my Mesa Mark V head for four years, and I'm still feeling the honeymoon thing with it. I like a lot of different styles, and it delivers on all of them.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Duke, that pine Tele and 5e3 clone... Yow!

On the incoming side, I couldn't decide between a PRRI or an Allen Encore (1x12 kit).

Got both.

Really enjoying the Princeton. Had a blast building the Encore, and the cab should arrive before Christmas.

GASsing for a Tone King Imperial, and an as yet unidentified 5e3 build. (And yes, my next Tele will be pine ;)

A Fishman Loudbox Mini should arrive tomorrow. Fingers crossed I like it.

On the outgoing side, I have a perfectly nice Blues Jr, with way too much money into it: C-Rex, most of the billm mods, new reverb tank, NOS Mullard power tubes, and V1. I don't see myself playing it anymore, not with these other beauties, but I can't seem to bring myself to list it.

I just returned a Kustom Sienna 30 acoustic amp. I told myself I didn't want to spend much on an acoustic amp. I really should know myself better after 56 years. It sounded pretty bad, and reverb didn't work. It got such good reviews, too...

9. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

What the brother said. I had a chance to do some minor repair on one (new handle and blown filament fuse) and I liked it so much I found a guy in Omaha who had one and wanted to trade for a Super Reverb reissue I had. I don't use about 80 per cent of what it can do but the digital delay and a Gretsch lets me get in touch with my inner Carl Perkins any time.

Here's a review I did. If you have an Alchemist get some spare filament fuses, they're 8amp 5x20 size. Hard to source locally, I bought a pack from Mouser for spares.

http://judyboxamp.blogspot.com/2013/07/bogner-alchemist-2x12-service-review.html

10. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

It's always important to take OP raves from NAD threads with a grain of salt. :D All too often, the relationship after the honeymoon can be luke-warm at best.

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are we still talking about gear? :D

12. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

I bought and sold a bunch of amps until two years ago, when I bought my Carr Rambler. It has completely killed my amp GAS. Any guitar I've ever plugged into it - Teles, LP's, various P90s, even my poor neglected Strat - have all sounded great and, more importantly, like themselves. I feel like I'm still in a honeymoon period with it.

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

13. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I have a Epiphone FT-130 acoustic that I have had since the late '70s. In the words of a reviewer on another site, "it does everything wrong, all laminate, bolt neck etc., but like many bands the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" Mine is held together with hot glue, screws and a bit of luck. I have bough many better guitars to replace it all have gone, I have bought two more of these, they don't sound the same, gone.
    On the electric side I have a 1x15 Sunn cab w/ a CTS square mag speaker, a budget model, it handles any sub 100 watt head or combo you plug into it, works for bass, keys and guitar. bought it 3-4 years ago for pocket change, thinking I could flip it, but it's so useful that it just stays on.

14. robt57

I like a laminated acoustic for plugged in use personally. Has it's place there IME :cool:

15. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Just about a year since I traded a lovely Reverend Jetstream 390 for a Gries 20 amp. Turned out to be the very first 20 David Gries had ever built. Changed the stock speaker out for a CRex, threw in some favorite tubes and rebiased ... and quickly came to love this thing. A do-it-all, extremely versatile amp. I'm not lacking for interesting amps here right now, and the Gries 20 gets played more than any other. As good as it sounds in my basement, it sounds way better on stage. And surprisingly, does quite well outdoors. I get compliments on the sound all the time. This honeymoon won't quit!
    MD

16. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

The Tone King Imperial is one of the coolest sounding amps I ever played through. I should have bought that when I had the chance. The playground in that big old mid range... I couldn't pull up a bad sound.

17. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

I opted for the sky king to get more headroom over the imperial. I liked it for a week, the. Had my doubts all summer. With patience, it has become my all-time favorite amp. I just had to mess with it/break it in, I guess!

18. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

I've had my PRRI for several years now, and it just keeps sounding better.

One of my buddies keeps offering to buy it off me. I just laugh.

DSC07820.jpg

19. robt57

Well. I sold the Rebel 20 after puling the NOS RCA and Mullards. Figures, but needed the cash for something, and it was the tube amp most likely not worth fixing most if it broke out of what I have.

So I am not worthy to be in my own thread anymore. ;)

I will make a head cab for the PV Classic 50 maybe and move it to the front of the line...

20. robt57

Your pickups are just breaking in...:cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.