1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

After the honeymoon period, which ones?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by robt57, Dec 3, 2013.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

A lot of NADs post rave about a new setup, and then nothing later. Remorse? TDPRI user practicing instead of posting.. :lol:

I dunno

But I rave, then trade/sell if after the honeymoon period the thrill is gone.

What have you traded or got accidentally so to speak that a year later is still worth ranting about.

Not talking about my Fenders, although the SFDR was not for me and sold it. AC15 with the Red Fang, nice, but the weight was a deal breaker for me. Pulled the Red Fang and sold with the orig speaker...

63 Pro and VV Clone made from a BMR, are great when ya feel like lifting. Lift the VV Clone instead of an AC15 for me. A few pedals on my board get the amp @ same nasty level when desired...

But, that Rebel 20 Egnator after I stuck some NOS power tubes I had in my inventory I still dig the shiet out of. Pine Cab with a Red Fang and some low gain preamp tubes so it is just not a gain monster, clean [almost], dirty, over the top. I like this 20 watter still.

Others for me,

Black/Silver Studio Pro with a speaker change. +
    VOX 15R, this thing plain sounds good +

Almost forgot to mention the $50.00 broke Classic 50 Peavey. Quick fix and very good amp IMO, just had to unplug the foot switch form the effects loop, thank you Lord....

2. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

I am the opposite. Having worked up my GAS on this forum, wet dreams and high expectations, my honeymoon is usually a midsized disappointment with instant divorce planning. So I either get rid of the loot or I magically start easing into liking it.
    However. Ampwise, my SCX2 lost its shimmer and I unloaded it; just could not connect, even after rebiasing and sticking all kinds of tubes and speakers into it. And I remember raving about it here, right after I got it. The internets are not to be trusted...still going strong with my PRRI, though.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm still enjoying the hell out of my Roland Blues Cube 60 especially with the Emi Cannabis Rex in it and the more I fiddle around and experiment with the little 5w Bugera v5 the more I enjoy it.

I've swapped out the power tube, used 3 different preamp tubes with different gain characteristics before settling on a 12AT7 being "just right" for more clean headroom and moderate breakup. I put in an Emi 820H hemp cone speaker I call the "Chemp", and just added a 1x12 extension cabinet with an OEM Emi Legend V128 which sounds far better with the "Bug" than it did in my BC 60. Now if I can just rig the wiring so I can run both the internal 8" and the 12" external I'll have really added to it's utility.

It's given me a simple tube amp platform to mess around with and the really nice thing about it is how inexpensive it is to experiment with and modify. I never knew what a total kick it can be to have a small single ended amp like this around to play. It has it's limitations but within them it's a very good little amp both for light duty live gigs and in the studio for recording.

Maybe I'm just not hung up on chasing the mythical beast of tonal perfection. For my needs these amps and my 40w Cube are all great sounding amps. The only thing I would like to add next year, other than a 65 Amp I can't afford, is a mid powered tube head like an Egnater Tweaker that I can afford and could also use with that 1x12 cabinet.

4. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

The Bogner Alchemist 2x12 combo is an amp I just liked more and more the longer I played it. And that NEVER happens with me. I just discovered over time that I could use almost any type of guitar with it -- Fender, Gretsch, P90s, you name it -- and it would always sound right.

Given how fickle I am about guitars, that's a huge plus.

5. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

My "large amp" search was over when I got my 68 Pro Reverb back from David Allen after I bought it.

My "small amp" search is on at the moment. Thinking a Super Champ or Allen Chihuahua...

Then all I will need is that perfect "medium TWEED amp" which would make the trinity complete...

I need to get me one of those lil vox pathfinders for a practice amp. :)

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I got my tone king imperial about 5 years ago.
    I love it more now than when I first got it. It took me about 2 years to really find all of the sounds in it... so many!

I love that amp. I have no need to hunt...

7. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

Are you sure you want us to overload the server? LOL.

8. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

I bought a brand new Fender Mustang III v.1 last May . Here we are in December and the Honymoon just keeps getting better :p

I went against my rule and put it on layaway without even plugging into it first.

I couldn't try it out because the pawn shop was packed and noisy. I made sure it powered up and was confident this was a good move because it was so strongly recommended here from several regulars I've grown to trust over the last few years. I knew I was going to like it.

They had it way up high on a shelf in their display window. You had to really look to spot it. I saw the price tag hanging down, saw it was $199 and brand new.

I assumed it was a Mustang II, being that was what GC had it priced. I asked to have it brought down and saw it was an MIII, so I jumped on it. It easily lives up to the hype so I'd be doing people here an injustice by selling it short.

9. premier1

premier1 TDPRI Member

I purchsaed 2 Hayden Peacemaker 40 amps 3 years ago and have been using them ever since. I play 100 shows a year and they never leave the back of my vehicle. As far as I'm concerned they'll be with me forever. They have clean,distortion, 2 master volumes,a boost chorus and never break down. They even have their original tubes.The best part there is nothing between my guitar and amp but a chord.

10. robt57

Is the 2nd a backup? Or are you doing a dual/stereo thing??

11. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

I bought an Ibanez TSA15 head-and-cab a few years back.
    Use it whenever it is suitable (small rooms, around 50-75 heads)
    Still diggin' it.

12. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

The SCX2 into the 2x12 cabinet I built is still about the best amp I've ever owned, certainly the most versatile.

Still love'n the Visual Sound Route 66 pedal, the more I play with it the better it seems to get.

Not sure about the Line 6 M13, I can dial in LOTS of great classic tones, almost. I think it is close enough for anyone who I have played for so far, but I have not gigged it yet so I don't know how well it will do on a stage.

13. robt57

Yeah, I really liked both sides of that pedal. Only thing I have against it is how noisy the compressor gets when you abuse the squeeze. Which is exactly the effect I use when I use it, and not very often. The bass boost on the distortion side sets it apart from a lot of distortion effects/boxe IMO. But alas, other distortions/box/favs on my board, the real estate it takes up and the greed educed squeeze noise it got traded. Still on my fond of list though. ;)

14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I built a Mission 5E3 kit six years ago, and I'm still in love. Put together a partocaster a few months later, and I've been done lusting for gear ever since.

Not to say a man's eyes won't rest on pretty things, but I'm happy to read the menu and eat at home.

15. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah Im set with mt Mission 5e3 and my Vibrochamp clone.. Made the delux into A Head and play it thru an Avatar 2x10 red fang and v30. absolutely gorgeous. No gas here and I even try and look for it :p

16. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

well, a few recent amps I didn't love after the HM period, they have since departed the home site.

AC15
    Fender Custom Vibrolux
    15 watt Marshall Haze with the two Marshall cabs

Most recent amp I really like since purchase many months back

Fender Blues Jr.

17. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

After Laughter (comes Tears) :cry:

18. premier1

premier1 TDPRI Member

to robt57 I am using one for a back up. I am not one of those vintage people who think that because something is old that it is automatically something special. With that being said I am for sure a tube guy. I tried an Egnater rebel 30 but it broke the first month that I had it. I tried a Fender Hot Rod Deville too loud and puky distortion. Then I came across these Haydens and well the rest is history.

19. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Blues Deluxe
    Blues Junior
    Marshall Class 5 but missed it and bought another

I buy an amp every year. I never sell much. I hope to start an amp store in 30 or 40 years.

20. Duke

Duke Tele-Meister

I built a trinity 5e3 a few years back. I put together a pine tele and recently converted a straight six strat into an SSS with custom shop 54s. I wouldn't get rid of the amp or tele for anything...jury is out on the strat, it's a bit too surfy for me. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.