1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

After the challenge, continuing - "La Mentirita Especial"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jimdkc, Feb 26, 2010.

1. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

I'm so far behind where I want to be! Had a houseguest for 2 weeks and didn't get anything done. So I took Thursday and Friday off work specifically to work on this project... but as John Lennon said: "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." Wednesday, part of my fence was blown down by the wind, so my Thursday was spent fixing that.... And also mowing my lawn since it was supposed to rain.

So... today I'm trying to get a body put together!

Adapted my cheap laminate trim router to work with my planing jig. Seems easier to control and I can see better what I'm doing:

[​IMG]

I planed 4 boards down to just over 7/8" thick. Worked pretty well to make flat boards out of badly warped boards! Will glue them up to make a body blank:

[​IMG]

(I know... I need more clamps... and better clamps!)

This is going to be tight to finish by deadline... but I'm gonna try!

Jim

2. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Under these bricks and 2x4s, is my 4-piece, 2-layer body blank with glue drying:

[​IMG]

Drilled some tuner holes and put on the first coat of Formby's Tung Oil Finish. It darkened the maple just slightly. Here it is, hanging in the basement drying:

[​IMG]

That's it for today...

Jim

3. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

Good luck, but be carefull it is never a good thing to use powertools when you are in a hurry!!

4. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Oh, I know... my step-brother nearly lost half a hand to a circular saw encounter! But, I'm much more careful than he!

I managed to add a second coat of finish to the neck. I'm really liking what the Formby's Tung Oil is doing for the maple! It looks much warmer and the grain is coming out some. Here's a pic (sans flash... the ones with flash kind of washed out.):

[​IMG]

Jim

5. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

Can't wait to see the finished product!

6. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Made a sickening discovery today: The second-hand router I bought is junk... the collet slips and the height adjustment won't stay in place! Good thing I didn't pay much for it. I'm going to press on... with minimum router use. I'm going to cut some corners... but I'm determined to finish by the deadline. Rather than make working templates, I'm going to try to cut my body blank using my jigsaw and spindle sander.

Traced my template onto the body blank:

[​IMG]

Made some cuts to make jigsawing the body outline easier:

[​IMG]

Cut as close to the line as I dared with the jigsaw:

[​IMG]

Cleaned up the jigsaw cuts on the spindle sander:

[​IMG]

Finally, I used the router to do a 3/8" roundover on the body (didn't take pictures)... Now I have a lot of sanding to do. Hope to get the neck pocket, control and pickup routes done, and get it painted tomorrow.

It's gonna be a squeaker... and I might not get everything that I planned done (ie: pinstripes, pickguard, etc...)

On top of all that... my Grover tuners still haven't arrived! Guess I'll have to use the cheap Chinese set I bought. I was hoping the Grovers would get here on time because I have a set of ebony tuner buttons that will fit them! (The Fender La Cabronita has pearloid tuner buttons... the ebony buttons were to be my little twist on that feature!)

Jim

7. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Sadly... I'm out!

I had so much trouble routing the pickup rout and control cavity that I realized my tools simply weren't up to the job! I stopped short of trying to do the neck pocket rout.

I'm going to finish this guitar... just not in time for the contest deadline!

Good luck everybody!

Jim

8. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

Dang Jim! Sorry it didn't work out! I was really looking forward to seeing what you were going to do. But I'll keep watching, you have a nice build going there!

9. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

That is a pity...

10. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

My pickup rout started out good... but turned ugly when I was just about done. I patched it with some Plastic Wood. It's functional, but it looks like I banged it out with a rock! With the bridge and pickup in place, it looks fine.

The final straw, however, was when I did the control rout and the router loosened up and I ended up routing all the way through the body! Not something I have time to fix at this stage of the game and still get some sort of finish on it by deadline.

A decent router and table... and maybe a drill press are definitely on my shopping list. (A bandsaw would be nice, too!) Maybe by the Third Annual Challenge!

Jim

11. Leigh

Leigh Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear you're out Jim, I was looking forward to this too. Hope it can be recovered!

12. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Man, that's sad... but I hope you are going to finish it anyway!

13. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Thanks, everybody!

Yes... I am going to forge forward and complete this! But, definitely not anywhere close to midnight tonight!

Jim

14. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Jim asked me to put his build thread back in the THD (Tele Home Depot)

15. NateM

NateM TDPRI Member

I don't know if this would have applied in this case but I have found that putting some white paint into the side dot markers on the neck brings out the color of the dot being inlaid. It works on LPs when you want to make sure that the tortoise shell shows and doesn't just look black. Maybe it would work for the sapphires?

Kind of late for that now I know but I thought I would mention it for next time.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice work, Jim!

Btw ya'll, these Gretsch pup surrounds will allow you to convert some Tele bodies with an existing vintage shaped Tele bridge pup rout to a TV Jones, Filtertron, etc. Some additional routing obviously.

It will not cover up that big jog to the South that certain Fender bodies have, most notably most MIM models.

17. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

I wish I had thought of that! Or maybe putting a small piece of foil behind the sapphire.

Oh, well!! Live and learn!

Jim

18. RocknDrTom

RocknDrTom Tele-Holic

How about doing just the pinstripe in the arm rest area (not on the upper horn), and balance it out with a bit of pinstriping right on the pickguard?

What you have in your mockup looks a bit too busy all on that one side

19. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Interesting idea... however, the pinstripes are black and silver. Wouldn't look right on a black pickguard.

Jim

20. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

I've done an alternate pinstriping layout which moves some of the "busy-ness" toward the bottom. Maybe a little better balanced?

Original:
    [​IMG]

Alternate design:
    [​IMG]

Whatcha think???

Jim

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.