1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

After the challenge, continuing - "La Mentirita Especial"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jimdkc, Feb 26, 2010.

1. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

I just learned something interesting. The drink that we call a "Cuba Libre" (Rum and Coke) is called a "La Mentirita" by Cubans.

Cuba Libre = Free Cuba

La Mentirita = A Little Lie

Jim

2. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Time to make a template!

I started by printing out the ubiquitous Terry Downs drawing on 4 sheets of paper. I then used my Precision Template Alignment Tool (aka: sliding glass back door).

[​IMG]

Does DiWiDi Technologies have the patent on that???

And, yes, for the first day of spring, Kansas City woke up to a couple inches of snow!

Jim

3. Clem

Clem Tele-Meister

Bargain indeed. That's about £16.50 for us on this side of the pond... which isn't even half a tank of petrol/gas in my Ford Fiesta. It probably works out at about five pints of (rather fine) beer too, which is gone all to quickly - this neck could last a lifetime!

4. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Cut out the printout just outside the line, spray-glued it to my MDF, and gave it a couple thin coats of lacquer.

[​IMG]

Then rough-cut with a jigsaw.

[​IMG]

Ready for the spindle sander.

Jim

5. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

After spindle sanding...

[​IMG]

The spindle sander itself was also an eBay bargain. A liquidator had a bunch of them, nearly brand new, up for auction. I put $25 maximum bids on several... not expecting to win any. I won one with a bid of $21 ($29 shipping, and it's still a bargain at $50.)

Jim

6. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Afflicted

Good deal on the sander, that looks like the one they have at Menards for $100+

7. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

It's the same one they sell at Harbor Freight for $119 (or $99 on sale).

Jim

8. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Minor setback... I ordered my neck and bridge from the same eBay seller at the same time. Got the neck last week... still no bridge. I notified the seller and they are shipping me another one.

Jim

9. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Put together an improvised router planing jig from my miter saw stand and some scrap wood:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I don't have a decent bit to use in it. I'm going to order a 1" dish carving bit from Grizzly. In the mean time, I'll replace the clamps by screwing the rails to the base so I can access the full length of the jig.

Oh... and... No! I'm not a lush! That's my empty beer bottle stock in the background. My other hobby (which I haven't actually practiced for a while!) is homebrewing beer.

Jim

10. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

Awesome. Another guitarbuilder/homebrewer!

Cheers!

11. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

OK... I'm pretty sure that I'm NOT going to meet my personal challenge (see post #2 above) of bringing in the whole project (including shipping and sales tax) for under $210!

I had bought some cheap Chinese tuners for this project... but I found a really great deal on a set of Grovers on eBay. I REALLY wanted those Grovers on this project instead of the cheapies, but they're going to push my total cost over $210.

I'll still be WELL within the Challenge guidelines if I don't count shipping and taxes, however. I just decided I wanted those higher quality tuners on this guitar more than I wanted to meet my personal challenge!

Jim

12. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

If you check the rules thread, you don't have to count shipping and taxes! Never say die!

13. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Yes... I know... but I had set an additional challenge for myself! :lol:

Jim

14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I agree with you about the La Cab pickguard shape Jim. I like the prototype guard too.

15. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Here's the source of that pickguard shape (kinda...): The Fender Custom Shop Tele Jr. Sort of a Gibson-ish Tele. Chambered mahogany body, mahogany neck, set neck construction, P90 pickups, hardtail Strat bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, mine won't have the neck pickup or control plate cuts.

Jim

16. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

I wanted to make a close copy of a Tele Junior pickguard... but there's no chance of actually getting my hands on a Tele Junior! Here's what I did:

I opened Terry Downs Tele PDF file in Photoshop. This creates a line drawing with a transparent background.

I added a layer behind this drawing with a white background.

I inserted a middle layer and pasted the photo of the blue Tele Junior from my previous post into that layer. I adjusted the opacity of that layer so that I could still clearly see the outline of the guitar and the lines on the PDF drawing.

Next, I used Photoshop's Transform tools (Scale, Rotate, Skew, and Perspective) on the photo layer to match the photo guitars outline to the line drawing as closely as I could.

I then saved this composite from Photoshop as a PDF file.

I opened the PDF file in Adobe Reader, and used the Snapshot tool to select the pickguard area.

Print (with no scaling)... and I now have a fairly accurate, life-size copy of the pickguard shape that I can cut out and adjust to my liking!

Here's a screenshot taken just before I printed:

[​IMG]

Jim

17. Fernder

Fernder Tele-Meister

^^Thats a really good idea. I like that PG a lot. You probably could have saved yourself a couple of steps by drawing a marquee around that area in photoshop copying all layers and then opening a new 8.5x11 document and pasting it in. That way you'd only have to use one program. Looking forward to seeing this finished =)

18. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Transferred Tele headstock shape to paddle. Center punched tuner locations.

[​IMG]

Jim

19. IHateTeles

IHateTeles TDPRI Member

Hi

why do you use lacquer? Is it to prevent the paper from detaching while sanding? That always happens to me and I'd like to fix it.

The photoshop idea is pretty smart! I need to remember that (although I can only afford the gimp:lol:)

regards

20. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

I read that a light coat of lacquer prevents the edges of the paper from fraying and tearing so badly when you're trying to sand to the line. It worked pretty well!

Jim

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.