After tele.... 2nd electric?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by natec, Feb 20, 2019.

What next?

1. Another Tele

15.7%
  2. Another Fender

21.3%
  3. Another non-fender electric

40.9%
  4. None of the above - practice more

22.0%
  1. natec

natec TDPRI Member

I've got a Taylor acoustic (play rarely) and recently purchased a FSR MIM Tele. I find myself thinking more about accumulating another electric than I do about playing the one I have (which is awesome... I can't find any flaws with it).

Here's the softball question for the group - would you:

Buy another tele as your 2nd (MIA, MIJ, thinline, HH, HSS, etc.)?
    Buy another Fender as your 2nd (Strat)?
    Buy another non-Fender (LP Studio, Vera S2, other)?
    Stop the madness and focus on playing the one you have?

Thanks in advance. I realize this is one of those 'first world problems' that isn't really a problem at all.

Nate

2. telemon1

telemon1 TDPRI Member

Gretsch! :cool:

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All great minds think alike!
    I prefer the MIJ models being offered now.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A strat but with a humbucker in the bridge or a Les paul would be my second choice after a tele. Depends on what you want it for. I'm slowly assembling more tele's with a variety of pickups to replace other guitars. Mostly due to comfort and familiarity of feel.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Treadplatedual likes this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Play more, but it's okay to add to the stable. Don't get stuck on playing one type of guitar.

6. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

A revstar: 500 series or above. Killer guitars.

7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

If you love the Tele, then you probably need a Strat. After those, then and only then are you allowed to look at those "LP-style" and other G Guitars! :D

8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

all good suggestions, and I could add a few more -- a 335 if you want to spend some money, a Les Paul Tribute for quite a bit less, everybody needs a Strat, a Danelectro for slide -- but buying stuff is not the road to happiness. It sounds like you're not playing your Taylor and you're not playing your tele so what question are you trying to answer by buying another guitar? I say this as somebody who's got too many amps and too many guitars. The happiness I get from playing comes mainly from learning, developing, being competent and playing with others.

TigerG and Macrogats like this.
  9. jazzereh

jazzereh Tele-Meister

My Am Std HH is good enough for my one tele but for something a bit different I have a Epi ES339 and enjoy it as well. My only electrics and I'm fine with that. A Taylor and other acoustics when I'm in that mood. Practice more...

howardlo likes this.
  10. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Get something that is in a different tone family than the tele. Gibson, Gretsch come to mind.

karpis and PBO Blues like this.
  11. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I'm a big advocate of the Fender/Gibson dichotomy. The scale-length, neck shape and pickups (even P90s) will make you play differently. And that can be inspiring.

Of course, it doesn't have to be a 'proper' Gibson, just something in that ballpark.

PBO Blues likes this.
  12. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Go to a guitar shop with the biggest selection you can find. Play everything. When you're done, you'll have your answer.

13. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

For me the perfect compliment to a Tele is an ES335 style guitar. This Epi has been modded with a BCS Vintage Wiring Kit and 2x Seymour Duncan Antiquities.
    T1 (6).JPG

DanDII, Vognell, CV Jee Beez and 6 others like this.
  14. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

for me the other way to play a non fenderish guitar is something like that

Dukex likes this.
  15. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Les Paul Junior!!!

Teleman, Jupiter, 985plowboy and 2 others like this.
  16. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

BINGO!!!!

No need to double up. Think about what directions you might consider venturing into and pick up something that leads you there. Mix it up.

Now, if you're happy with where you are, by all means keep the cash for later when you do have notion. Don't buy just to buy.

17. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't sell the acoustic to get another electric, you may not play it much now, but having one can be very useful, and is often something you use more as you move along.

I have a constant search for the "second electric guitar" I have had LP's SG's, Firebirds, various Gretsch hollowbodies, some Gibby/Epiphone Semis; Strats, a few offsets, a Rick or three.

I loaded up the car w/ a bunch of trade bait the other day and went out to find the "one to be two" and came back w/ a CV, so as of now I have two Tele's... the CV w/ a maple board, & thru stringing and a Top Load Affinity w/ a rosewood. The are similar but different, and I have a budget back up, for unsecured gigs, leave in the car etc.

Howard Roberts mostly used two guitars the hollowbody he played on jazz things and the Tele that he played on most other sessions. Tommy Tedesico had a whole locker full of things but they were mostly guitar like instruments (mando/uke/banjo etc.) the bulk of his electric playing on sessions was a Tele. The whole "bring 12 different guitars and six amps to the session" is a fairly recent development. There is a book by Arelen Roth called the "Masters of the Telecaster" that in addition to exploring different players styles gives a lot of tips and trick to cover the little things a Tele was not designed to do, like bending behind the nut to get a whammy effect, and a bunch of other stuff.. of course Roth owns a boatload of guitars, but many of them are Tele's. Maybe track down a copy before going on a "guitar safari"

18. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm with @beyer160, go and test.

I went after my first Tele to S-type as I wanted to get into the trem bandwagon. However there's today a vast number of smaller manufacturers who produce extremely high quality instruments in all styles. Why would one limit oneself to the same old selection from half a century back?

19. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

If you’re a relative beginner I’d stick to one guitar and learn how to play it. If a Telecaster isn’t your thing or if you’re looking to ad a second guitar I’d look at a Gibson type guitar.

perttime likes this.
  20. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You are skating around the Traditional Trinity. Tele. Strat. LP.

First step is put a 4-way switch in that Tele! Stealth LP for $11.

Then watch for a used PRS SE singlecut 22 fret HH.
    (The 22 version will sound more LP, 24 is more SG. Used market these are priced around the used MIMs.)

If you get a Strat, stick with the SSS classic the first time out. I listened to the HSS folks and regretted it -- I missed some of the classic tones especially after getting an HH guitar. Now I start with an SSS Strat and mod it so I blend into HSH, the blending makes a much more useful guitar.

After those three, then start looking at an SG and ES-335 Hollow body. Then the graphic guitar shapes like Vs and Explorers and whatnot get danced with. And then ... you wonder why you have so many guitars kicking around and you try to unload big parts of the mess. You'll see threads all the time on the forums about folks thinning their herds. You're ahead of the game a little by asking about pitfalls -- but you're also on a GAS-inducing guitar forum, lol.

Gmountain likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.