1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

After hauling stuff - Stink from vents and AC in my truck is overwhelming

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doghouseman, Oct 31, 2020.

1. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

I was hauling some trash cans in my truck bed, the cans were all the way up against the cab, and I think there was a dead animal in one of the trash cans because now my truck stinks.

Somehow the stink from the dead animal is in the AC system now.

I have washed the truck several times, and I cleaned the inside. When I sit in the truck, I dont smell anything, it smells great, but when I start the truck and the AC kicks on, the smell of dead animal is overwhelming. It is coming from the vents of the truck.

Not sure how the stench got in the ventilation system, but what can I do about it?

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

do you have a vent filter in your truck?

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds to me like something has died IN the air intake for your truck HVAC system.

I've had two different cars in the last couple months, with mice finding a way into the housing for the fan that drives air into the passenger compartment. Those suckers brought all sorts of bedding material and leftovers of acorns and etc. in there.

I wouldn't replace the vent filter until the rest of the system was cleaned out by some means or another.

Greggorios, Tuneup, Piggy Stu and 5 others like this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The trash cans probably attracted little critters into other parts of your truck and a mouse died in the air vent system.

Pop everything open that you can and reach in there with a small-diameter Shop Vac hose to suck anything out that may be festering in there.

5. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

:D

6. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

At first glance of subject I was expecting that this was about the burning stink that comes from the vents of AC10s!

7. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Eat more beans and vodka. That garbage can odor will disappear for sure.

8. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

Once you've cleaned out the air inlets, I had a friend that used to spray a citrus cleaner into the air inlets under the hood while the ac/heater was blowing just to kill any of the funk that accumulates there.

985plowboy likes this.
  9. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Yes, the problem now seems to be finding the vents ;-)

10. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sounds like you got some slop in the vents on the rear of the cab

[​IMG]

Torren61 likes this.
  11. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Those vents in the back of the cab (if equipped) are primarily for air to exit though sometimes they dont seal real tight.

If the vehicle is equipped with a cabin filter, obtain a replacement.

Once removed for replacement, look around for any sign of an intruder. As suggested, it is not uncommon for mice to slip in and create a nest. They really seem to like the cabin filter area and material.

Before installing the new filter, and with the fan on a low speed, spray some odor eliminator in the opening for about 15 seconds, turn off the fan and let it sit for about ten minutes and then repeat.
    I recommend odor eliminator because its best not to try to mask with a strong odor. And because most of them are bad too.
    I think Ozium is still marketed. Theres also a product called "frigi-fresh" that might be available in auto parts stores.
    If the vehicle is not equipped with a cabin air filter, the odor eliminator can also be dispersed via the inlet/cowl area, making sure the recirculation flap is open to outside air. Though this method likely has reduced effectiveness.

Also note that if you find a problem with rodent entry, and your vehicle provides a means, getting in the habit of closing the recirculation door when parked is often a means to reducing that particular problem. They really like the cabin filter and blower/squirrel cage area in my experience and cant get there if the recirculation door is closed.

getbent likes this.
  12. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

I'm a mechanic. I deal with this multiple times a week. 99% of the time they die in the blower motor itself. In most vehicles this is easily accessible from the passenger side, under the glove box. It looks like a mouse wheel (go figure). They like to nest there, you turn on your blower and they get killed in the process. Usually three screws hold it in place and you can drop it out and find your dead buddy. Depending on the vehicle, it can be much more involved than that, but usually not. It is almost never necessary to clean any ducting.

13. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

Fyi the inlet to most vents are at the base of the windshield under the hood.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I dug one out of a prius once... man, that was a WEIRD experience. fixed it though!

Greggorios likes this.
  15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Here is a good one that was a mystery to me: someone filled up my washer bottle from a jug kept outside at a garage

Dead snail inside it rotted in the washer bottle and produced the oddest scent. Everyone presumed the moisture from the jet was aggravating the filter

16. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm filing this for future use, thank you!

17. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My old 1994 Saturn was smelling musty, and I sprayed a whole bunch of scented Lysol into the outside air vents as I had the fan on high and doors open. Really seem to help. Killed off whatever fungi was growing in there. Make sure it's not on recirculation when you do this.

18. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I'd buy tickets for a band named Dead Snail Washer Fluid.

getbent likes this.
  19. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Toyota Tundra here. Had this nasty smoke smell, dusty dirty smell. Buddy came over and asked if I had checked the cabin filter. He takes three parts off and pulls out the filter which apparently had a mouse nesting on the top of it at one time.
    New filter, new lease on life for the truck!

Gardo likes this.
  20. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Are you in a warm climate? In a week or two the maggots will be done with it, no more smell.

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.