After going back and forth, finally spec'd out my Partscaster...

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
I had been all over the place as far as deciding on what body to use, what color, etc. Double bound, no binding, this color or that color, etc.

Scoured the internet; eBay, Reverb, locally on Craigslist, STRATosphere, etc.

STRATosphere was slim pickings, and that seems the case everywhere. I'm sure STRATosphere gets stuff in waves, but nothing that really caught my eye, and most bodies seemed a bit heavy and overpriced for what they are. Spend a little more and you can have EXACTLY what you want from a custom, reputable builder/supplier in the U.S. On the flip side there are plenty of budget bodies costing under $200, and even some around or under $100, but I was really hesitant going with one of these since there are as many threads on here from people who have had good experiences as there are bad. And since this is sort of a dream Tele, or at least something I didn't want to just throw together from random parts and want it to be a really nice guitar, I decided to go with a custom order from MJT.

Nothing but amazing things to say about MJT. My only hesitation was that they don't offer a "brand new" finish, and the closest to that is a their "closet clean" finish. After searching and looking around I got over that and ordered a 4lb. swamp ash body finished in vintage blonde. Sort of going for a mish-mosh of an early 50's Tele mixed with something along the lines of a 58AVRI with brass saddles. Fender American Original 50's neck with vintage tall frets and rolled edges with a substantial, chunky profile, Fender traditional ashtray bridge with fender compensated brass saddles and Fender OV pickups. All the parts besides the body and the wiring harness are OEM Fender parts ordered from Darren Riley.

Wiring harness will be a Mojo Tone solderless harness. Some may think that's blasphemy for a 50's inspired guitar, but it's my custom spec'd Partscaster! I'd also like the chance to possibly try other pickups and although I am very competent at wielding a soldering iron, it's jsut so much faster swapping pickups. I have the same harness in my other Partscaster and it's been fantastic.

Now all I need to do is wait for the body to be completed and shipped!

I've attached some pictures I used for inspiration:

ryNOwjSh.png

nQeqSGwh.png

STAeuYMh.png

VqRoRD7h.jpg

ARY5Mjrh.jpg

Last edited:

AKBluesDude

TDPRI Member
Well thought out on the wiring. Changing out pickups on a tele is a pain in the neck . . . having quick connects makes it quite a bit easier.

Erik1027

TDPRI Member
I have 3 MJT guitars. I'm a huge fan of them. I placed an order for a VTS body on Jan 1st this year. I haven't received it yet. I am told it will be another 4 weeks or so. My MJT special orders were taking 10 weeks in 2019. It's much slower currently. YMMV.

ladave

Tele-Holic
Good call going with a high quality body. I don't know if MJT always uses the same supplier but the one I got from them was the best shape out of the 3 different makers I have used. I like their aged finishes but ended up refinishing mine in an NOS finish just for fun. Their closer clean is almost like journeyman relic without checking.

rockclimber

TDPRI Member
A short while ago, I received a swamp ash tele body (Warmoth) that I had sent to MJT for finish in closet clean blonde. Gorgeous finish. Beyond my expectations. You will not be disappointed.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
I have 3 MJT guitars. I'm a huge fan of them. I placed an order for a VTS body on Jan 1st this year. I haven't received it yet. I am told it will be another 4 weeks or so. My MJT special orders were taking 10 weeks in 2019. It's much slower currently. YMMV.
Yes, that’s a bummer but a first-world problem, right?? Guitar Mill is also behind. They quoted me 5 months.

It’s all good though. Everything is paid for and it will be a nice surprise once everything shows up. By that time I’ll be done with grad school and will actually have the time to assemble and play the guitar!

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
A short while ago, I received a swamp ash tele body (Warmoth) that I had sent to MJT for finish in closet clean blonde. Gorgeous finish. Beyond my expectations. You will not be disappointed.
Did you have them do a high gloss or a semi-gloss? I told the. I’d be pairing the body with a brand new Fender AO neck and all new Fender hardware and they recommended the high gloss finish.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I had been all over the place as far as deciding on what body to use, what color, etc. Double bound, no binding, this color or that color, etc.

Scoured the internet; eBay, Reverb, locally on Craigslist, STRATosphere, etc.

STRATosphere was slim pickings, and that seems the case everywhere. I'm sure STRATosphere gets stuff in waves, but nothing that really caught my eye, and most bodies seemed a bit heavy and overpriced for what they are. Spend a little more and you can have EXACTLY what you want from a custom, reputable builder/supplier in the U.S. On the flip side there are plenty of budget bodies costing under $200, and even some around or under $100, but I was really hesitant going with one of these since there are as many threads on here from people who have had good experiences as there are bad. And since this is sort of a dream Tele, or at least something I didn't want to just throw together from random parts and want it to be a really nice guitar, I decided to go with a custom order from MJT.

Nothing but amazing things to say about MJT. My only hesitation was that they don't offer a "brand new" finish, and the closest to that is a their "closet clean" finish. After searching and looking around I got over that and ordered a 4lb. swamp ash body finished in vintage blonde. Sort of going for a mish-mosh of an early 50's Tele mixed with something along the lines of a 58AVRI with brass saddles. Fender American Original 50's neck with vintage tall frets and rolled edges with a substantial, chunky profile, Fender traditional ashtray bridge with fender compensated brass saddles and Fender OV pickups. All the parts besides the body and the wiring harness are OEM Fender parts ordered from Darren Riley.

Wiring harness will be a Mojo Tone solderless harness. Some may think that's blasphemy for a 50's inspired guitar, but it's my custom spec'd Partscaster! I'd also like the chance to possibly try other pickups and although I am very competent at wielding a soldering iron, it's jsut so much faster swapping pickups. I have the same harness in my other Partscaster and it's been fantastic.

Now all I need to do is wait for the body to be completed and shipped!

I've attached some pictures I used for inspiration:

ryNOwjSh.png

nQeqSGwh.png

STAeuYMh.png

VqRoRD7h.jpg

ARY5Mjrh.jpg
Turnaround time on that MJT body is going to be the kicker. Godspeed.