After all these years - string suggestions

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
I found 9.5 to be my lucky number.
1660597398865.png

Use these on Teles, LP Special, and Junior - all with fantastic results.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I used pretty much just Ernie Ball Power Slinkies only, from about the mid-90's until sometime in the 2010's, hence my handle. So I guess that's roughly 20 years or so...

I started to develop joint problems in my hands in my later 40's, so I dropped down to standard 10 sets at that time. I also realized that there were a lot more deals to be had on bulk packs of 10s than bulk packs of 11s.

I've used quite a few of the different 10-46 sets, and honestly don't really have a favorite. I mostly just buy whatever I can get in a bulk pack at the lowest price. That's most commonly either D'Addario or EB Regular Slinkies, but I've also picked up Dean Markleys, GHS GBL Boomers, and yet other brands.

And since I have issues with the joints in my hands, I'm trying to be proactive, and ordered a few sets of EB Hybrid Slinkies (9-46). They'll probably go on a couple of my 25.5" scale length guitars sometime in the next year.

I know that at least years ago, there were really just a small handful of actual string manufacturers. So even though I loved my Power Slinkies, I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually made by D'Addario. That's probably why I can't really notice a difference between D'Addario 10s and Regular Slinkies, or other brands. I'd imagine it's probably a similar thing with the Dean Markleys and such. Or maybe I'm just not that picky...

Last edited:

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

I can’t really give advice on gauge. I mostly stick to what I stick to, & thus don’t understand how different things might or might not be with different gauges.

However, I do recommend trying Curt Mangan strings. I really do hear an actual difference with them. Sure, not the proverbial ’game changer,’ but definitely to me, fuller and with more ‘body.’ I originally bought them on a whim and was quite surprised at the results I got. I also think they feel ‘easier’ for the gauge they are. Again, quite surprised.*

I use the ‘Muck Here’ set from That Pedal Show. But, you can find lighter at Curt Mandan’s site.

Pax/
Dean
* caveats abound: I guess it is a YMMV thing though.

effzee

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
After many years of D'Add XLs I gave the Fender pure nickel strings a try, on a whim, and I like them a lot. Same 10-46 gauge but they feel softer, bend easier, sound fuller or "thicker", durability and tuning seem absolutely OK. And they're cheap. I'll probably use them for the next ten years before the next whim hits me.

51vDISd8w8L._AC_SY780_.jpg

Last edited:

thankyouguitar

Tele-Meister
Heck, I feel like a noob posting this!

I am looking for suggestions on trying out new strings. I have been playing GHS Boomers for probably 20+ years. I use GBM - 11, 15, 18, 26, 36, 50. I play in a trio (classic/southern, country, blues, etc) and I've always liked the fuller sound that the heavier gauge provided with only one guitar in the band. I haven't used any other strings over all these years... (and no, I don't mean I haven't changed my strings for 2 decades!)

As I get older, my hand strength isn't what it used it used to be, so I am looking to try something like a 10 - 46 set. I haven't tried any other brands in forever, so I'm just curious if the collective TDPRI brethren might have some kind of consensus. I see lots of D'addario and Ernie Ball fans, but I know there's lots more.

FWIW, this is for my mostly stock '63 Tele. It's my one and only Tele, so I can't do a fair comparison with my other guitars (LP style, different scale length, different pups, etc.)

I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit without having to buy a bunch.

Thanks for your opinions and advice!

Cheers,
Doug
I have really fallen for Fender Super 250s: Nickel-Plated Steel 9 to 42. I am really not a huge fan of plain G, but these strings feel great and just as importantly sound great to me.

My all-time favorites are still Dean Markley Jazz

effzee

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I have really fallen for Fender Super 250s: Nickel-Plated Steel 9 to 42. I am really not a huge fan of plain G, but these strings feel great and just as importantly sound great to me.

My all-time favorites are still Dean Markley Jazz
Give the pure nickel a test drive, you might really liked them 👍🏼

John Stephen

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Heck, I feel like a noob posting this!

I am looking for suggestions on trying out new strings. I have been playing GHS Boomers for probably 20+ years. I use GBM - 11, 15, 18, 26, 36, 50. I play in a trio (classic/southern, country, blues, etc) and I've always liked the fuller sound that the heavier gauge provided with only one guitar in the band. I haven't used any other strings over all these years... (and no, I don't mean I haven't changed my strings for 2 decades!)

As I get older, my hand strength isn't what it used it used to be, so I am looking to try something like a 10 - 46 set. I haven't tried any other brands in forever, so I'm just curious if the collective TDPRI brethren might have some kind of consensus. I see lots of D'addario and Ernie Ball fans, but I know there's lots more.

FWIW, this is for my mostly stock '63 Tele. It's my one and only Tele, so I can't do a fair comparison with my other guitars (LP style, different scale length, different pups, etc.)

I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit without having to buy a bunch.

Thanks for your opinions and advice!

Cheers,
Doug
Well Doug, did you ever decide on a new string set? If so, how did it work out?

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
I have used Dean Markley or Ernie Ball for years but for your hands I would go to 009's and if you are worried about tone I would change to those strings and then after your next practice ask your bandmates if they noticed anything different about your tone. A lot of what we perceive as tone can be influenced by how we feel with our hands ect... I do believe we chase our tail a lot on this subject and I am no exception but make a radical change then ask those who know your tone well (bandmates) and see if they noticed anything before you tell them what change you made.