After all these years - string suggestions

ddewerd

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Heck, I feel like a noob posting this!

I am looking for suggestions on trying out new strings. I have been playing GHS Boomers for probably 20+ years. I use GBM - 11, 15, 18, 26, 36, 50. I play in a trio (classic/southern, country, blues, etc) and I've always liked the fuller sound that the heavier gauge provided with only one guitar in the band. I haven't used any other strings over all these years... (and no, I don't mean I haven't changed my strings for 2 decades!)

As I get older, my hand strength isn't what it used it used to be, so I am looking to try something like a 10 - 46 set. I haven't tried any other brands in forever, so I'm just curious if the collective TDPRI brethren might have some kind of consensus. I see lots of D'addario and Ernie Ball fans, but I know there's lots more.

FWIW, this is for my mostly stock '63 Tele. It's my one and only Tele, so I can't do a fair comparison with my other guitars (LP style, different scale length, different pups, etc.)

I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit without having to buy a bunch.

Thanks for your opinions and advice!

Cheers,
Doug

DavidP

Friend of Leo's
If you're coming down from 11-50s, try a set of D'Addario EXL 110+ (10.5 -48), and see how they work out for you. If still uncomfortable, then move down to 10-46s -- I'm perfectly happy with EXL 110s for that gauge.
Good luck in the search for the perfect string/gauge!

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Elxir 9s sound fat for size. Nano not poly. Comfy too. Billy Gibbons uses 7s. Good on old fingers.

Attachments

• AC38FF32-05FE-4A90-A1E1-68A1E9CE3098.jpeg
    AC38FF32-05FE-4A90-A1E1-68A1E9CE3098.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
These will knock your SOCKS off. The heavy bottom just gives you the thump of a bass guitar, the cobalt lasts a very long time....
1659308719407.png

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
On my previous tele I've always liked 9.5 on the high e..... to 42. I take it easy on my fingers. Can you make up for any real or perceived loss of tone by tweaking your amp(s)?

playforfun

Tele-Afflicted
EB hybrid 9-46 is a good starting place. I just bought 9 packs of them for our guitarist who is having some trouble with his hands. He went through several different gauges before settling on these

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Elixers sound really nice. I also use EB. Currently trying out 9's on my guitars but my latest build is a Tele type top loader and 10's feel pretty loose on it.

Cali Dude

Friend of Leo's
I really enjoy Elixir strings, as they sound fresh longer. If you don't mind changing strings more often, I would go with Ernie Ball strings. However, Elixir nanoweb 10s are my favorite electric string. I can relate to the weakened hand strength. I went from 11s to 10s a few years back for that reason.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Holic
I think you'll find tuning down makes a bigger difference and won't affect your tone as much. Like, try tuning down a step and capoing below the second fret.

I'd stick with GHS and try the rollerwound pure nickel Rockers. The oval winding adds stiffness without adding tension.

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
I’ve been a DR guy for decades, I can literally play them until the winding comes off the D string before I actually break a string. Pure Blues or Veritas. They seem to feel somewhat lighter than their actual gauge to me.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
You don't have to declare for life, just keep trying new ones until you find a set you love (and check that assumption with new sets). I keep the old packs for strings I've tried and it's fairly ridiculous, the variety of stuff I've gone through.

I was an Ernie guy forever in 9s, played 11s for a year or so on my Tele, 10s another six months or so, and am back to 9s, where I've tried every one of their variants (Paradigm, M-Steel, etc). I've tried 8s, they just don't feel chonky enough for what I like to play and practice. Tried D'Addarios 9-42s for a while, very nice and slightly preferable to the Ernies. But! I just put on some D'Addario half-rounds in the same gauge yesterday; I like them too, but rarely leave strings on much longer than 6-8 weeks and usually far less time than that.

My Gretsch (3161) wears Thomastik-Infelds flat 10s the last few weeks (changed from D'Add flats) owing to the many recommendations I saw here. Phew, that's as lovely a string as I've ever played. I'll try them in 11 at some point. $30+ a set, I probably will not experiment quite so much, but that's still pretty cheap. Like tires on a car, it pays to get it right.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
I just put on a set of D’Addario 10-46 balanced tension strings. I’m kind of liking them.

That's what I use on most my electrics as well. I also buy bulk individual strings from Just Strings for quick replacements and for testing builds and such.

Kamen_Kaiju

TDPRI Member
I like Ernie Ball Elixer and/or Fender Bullets

D'addarios don't last for me. Something in my sweat kills them in a day.