After All of These Years, The E-Bow Has Some Compitition

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Paul in Colorado, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

From what I can gather, it was a good concept but flawed delivery. I was lucky enough to have been given a job doing menial tasks at Strawberry Studios in my home town when 10cc were in there recording and they were a really interesting and innovative bunch. Sad that this didn't work out for them but maybe what they did helped others.

telemnemonics and scrapyardblue like this.
  2. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Ebow has been dropped a few times. It was also super-glued once and works the same as ever.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  3. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

I've been an ebow player for the last 15 years or so (I mean, I pull it out for songs 5 or 6 times a year). I feel incredibly confident in what sounds I can get and how to get them. There are a few improvements I could see, but this doesn't seem to address those. And ergonomically, it just seems harder to control. That could change if I had one in my hands, but it just looks more difficult to use.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  4. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

ive been on quite a "mesmerized by Mutt Lange" phase and i hear a bit of sustains in there for sure.

looks like it works fine but seems awkward to hold, maybe i would like a wriststrap friendly reshape ?

5. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Weird. I’ve had my black one for 30 years and countless gigs with no such issues.
    But not all plastics are created equal. Maybe the ‘00 models were made of lesser stuff.
    I bought a gray one as backup during that era. I didn’t care for it and moved it along pretty quickly. There was no comparison to mine.

pdmartin likes this.
  6. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I've watched/listened to a guy in the Great Lakes Swimmers use an ebow in a "folk context" very nicely. Don't recall his name or what kind of guitar he was playing.

7. jasyr

jasyr TDPRI Member

i bought my chrome/red light back in the day... 70's... the chrome is wore off the tracks but still sounds like the day i purchased.

kafka likes this.
  8. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I remember seeing one of those in a book and wanting one. I went up to the local guitar store thinking that maybe I could ask if they ever saw used ones. It turned out they had just gotten their shipment of the first 80s reissue, so I got it then and there.

That said, I haven't really used it much. Still fun, but I've never really had a good musical use for it. Maybe I'll write an eBow song this weekend.

scrapyardblue likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

On their website, TC lists the Aeon under stompboxes :confused:

10. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

IMO, this was the most practical approach. Too bad Fender couldn't make any money on this pedal because of licensing fees with Softube (and probably not much sales):

scrapyardblue likes this.
  11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This is why I wanted an Ebow....

12. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Digitech makes a feedback pedal. called the Freqout. digitech_freqout_productphoto_top_original.jpg

13. You-Tele-Me

You-Tele-Me Tele-Meister

The Gizmo used 6 individual discs which 'bowed' the strings through physical contact, so it was a rather elaborate mechanism with a motor. The E-bow and the Aeon use varying magnetic pull to 'excite' the strings. The Fernandes Sustainer is similar to the E-bow but it uses a pickup at the neck position to 'excite' all six strings. It saves you from holding an extra piece of gear, but palm muting takes on greater significance.

I have the first reissue E-bow from the '80s (with the logo in white) and the later version with the red logo as well as the grey one. One produces the fundamental, one produces an octave up and the grey one has a switch to choose between the two. The Fernandes has a switch which allows you to choose fundamental, octave or both. I have installed one in a Yamaha Pacifica, and it's a great deal of fun too.

I've never had any problems with the E-bows all these years and they have been nabbed by gravity frequently. I'll definitely give the Aeon a try.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”After All of These Years, The E-Bow Has Some Compitition”

Congrats, take E-Bow!

You-Tele-Me and 4pickupguy like this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Oddly I've always wanted to try one but never bought one out of curiosity.
    Never saw one used or in a friends possession.
    I generally play with more volume and gain than needed if I want sustain, then mute the whole squirming bag of screaming cats so only one or two can get out at a time.
    A Zen Drive or Muff among other things help.
    Really, I consider the ability for endless sustain to be a pretty essential part of playing electric guitar, which gets me in trouble for playing too loud. Hmm.

Now I'm curious again, just not sure I would trade my RH technique for endless sustain.

Anybody switch back and forth between sustainer and pick during songs?
    Where do you put the sustainer?
    Can't really hold it with your pinkie and keep playing, right?

I didn't even know as many people used them in the whole world as came out in this thread!

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The battery clip on mine broke. I was able to cut the wires and install a new one in, but it is pretty annoying that it's not really serviceable, there are no screws, the case is just glued.

Not that the TC Electronic one is any different as far as I know, and really I have no idea.

17. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Just hand on guys ... I'm going to develop one of these that fits in your pick. May take me awhile but I'm working on it ;)

18. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Only in the studio so far and either sat it on a music stand or shelf, but you won't be holding it while you're picking.

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. You-Tele-Me

You-Tele-Me Tele-Meister

With a Sustainer that's installed in the guitar, you would be able to maintain your RH technique, but you'd be able to manage that at even whisper levels of volume. I hear rumours that Steve Vai keeps his on all the time.

With an E-bow, it's a whole different technique. You're playing one string at a time and resting the device on the adjacent strings. It's still possible to keep a low E droning while playing a melody on the D or G for example. You can get some quick attack with hammer-ons, but usually it'll be a volume swell (hence the 'bow' part of the name.) Basically you're using the E-bow as a 'pick'.

How fast you can switch from E-bow to pick will depend on whether you can palm it, or how close the handy horizontal surface is. I tend to just keep one on the pedalboard and pick it up for a nice legato solo, or to throw it into the background on a loop. The fact that it's able to come in out of nowhere has been handy in theatre work where stage volume by necessity has to be below un-amplified voice. It's also a fun trick to pull out on my 12 string acoustic during a campfire jam.

See if you can try one out in a store, but it can take a bit of woodshedding to get up to speed.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.