1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

After 40+ Years, Pickguards on '60s Strat Reissues Look Right

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Radspin, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I was in the Carle Place Guitar Center and saw one of the new American Vintage Strat reissues. I was surprised and delighted to see that after more than 40 years, Fender has FINALLY issued a correct-looking pickguard with the nice wide bevel and thick black center layer you only see on circa 1965-66 and earlier three-ply pickguards. It's amazing how much more "correct" this subtle but important detail makes the entire guitar look.

Every reissue I've ever seen up until now has NEVER looked 100 percent right, even if the pickguard was convincingly aged, because the bevel thickness and black center layer thickness (not sure about the overall pickguard thickness) has been too thin. Kudos to Fender for finally getting this detail right.

Now the question is...when will these new pickguards be available as a separate item?

2. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

gee I guess that justifies the price increase.

3. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Heh heh...I just want to know why it took more than 40 years to get a detail like a pickguard right in this age of advanced manufacturing technology! Wonder what else they got right on the new reissues...or wrong. And yeah, the price increase seems a little excessive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.