After 20 years!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Wrighty, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

So, may have posted pics before but this really is now the finished article. Sometime in 1999 I went to a local industrial timber supplier and begged a huge off cut of sapele for the price of a pint. The intention was to make a guitar. I eventually found places and people who could help, and, having cut out the shape, set to on getting it taken down to the right thickness, routed out for some or other pickups and sanded smooth. At this point I had no idea what I was aiming to build but knew I’d never manage a neck. I therefore headed to Denmark Street and spent 1/2 a day trying out anything cheap with a bolt on neck. Eventually I found a Tele shaped thing with a really nice neck, £35 if I remember correctly.

By Jan 2000 I had a complete guitar and, having used it at a couple of rehearsals, I reckoned it warranted some upgrades. The pickups were scrounged for pennies from my then local music shop, machine heads were those in the original neck and the pick guard hacked from a piece of 1/8” thick grey plastic cadged from the company that did the display stands for my then employer.

And, so began Wrighty’s guitar build Part ll, the upgrade.

Stripped the horrible black lacquer off the board, which seemed an endless task but revealed half decent (something) timber underneath, bought a couple of deMarzio pups, and generally went for it. Scratch plate needed to be thick to get the pups set up properly, as they were with the thick plastic originally used. I doubt you’ll guess what I used but I’m particularly pleased with the outcome.

So, why is it today finished? Well, I just replaced the tuners with a set of chrome lockers. They were £15 from Musiclily in China and, in all honesty, I can’t fault the product or the service. Prior to fitting them it had silver / grey ones which were bugging me more and more. As I’d changed out the screws from brass to chrome they really looked wrong.

Here it is then, affectionately referred to as ‘the door’, from the size of the chunk of wood initially bought for the body, it sounds pretty damn good, plays well and, whilst it’s no PRS or LP, it’s no embarrassment to be seen with and, as I’ve not got on with a couple or three Gibsons I’ve had and outed, gives me the ‘bucker sounds with a Fender feel.

if nowt else, it may give you guys a laugh! 617E3D80-F3B3-401F-9C40-C786454929EA.jpeg E807694C-7898-42DA-A596-8200A3E3173B.jpeg 6895F3DF-9531-46C0-8F42-D812410521D9.jpeg B01E802F-A887-4DAD-93AF-B2E53B3AA5E4.jpeg 617E3D80-F3B3-401F-9C40-C786454929EA.jpeg E807694C-7898-42DA-A596-8200A3E3173B.jpeg 6895F3DF-9531-46C0-8F42-D812410521D9.jpeg B01E802F-A887-4DAD-93AF-B2E53B3AA5E4.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  2. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

It does not give me a laugh. To the contrary, you have my utmost respect. Anyone who finishes a project that has been languishing for 20 years deserves a medal! Well done!

Hiker likes this.
  3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

yes, nothing to laugh it all, but it did make me smile. and approve highly of your scrounging techniques.

To the unpracticed and non-expert eye of a non-brit, it looks like the kind of guitar that should have been hanging around the pub for hundreds of years, as though hundreds of years ago, pubs had electric guitars. Might need to have a few pints spilled on it and otherwise, I think the only thing missing is some chain mail.

good on ya, well done - and thanks for the photos.

4. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, never thought of it like that! Antique shop maybe......... beside the Jacobean TV, or ye olde worlde Hard Rock Cafe!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Just thought, it’s like most major projects in the UK, overruns by years. Only difference is that I didn’t finish it late and massively over budget!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.