After 20 years ...

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by hotraman, Jul 29, 2019.

1. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

I finished being a worship pastor / music director, etc.
    This past Sunday was my last time on staff. It's a great church ( about 350+)
    And I'm not too sad about it. Ok.. maybe just a little.
    I am fortunate to get paid for what I was able to offer.
    I finished a 8 month interim position at my friend's church ( where he is the lead pastor) I was offered / encouraged to apply for the full time position. But I would have had to move / sell my home.
    And my daughter / son in law just moved into our town.

It's a strange feeling, but I'm ready to take a break for a season.
    I've been a vocational worship pastor for 20 years.
    I will still be playing lead guitar at another church where I live.
    I may get an occasional request to sub as the Sunday worship leader / singer.
    But I'm looking forward to taking a "Sabbath" without the pressure of having to schedule the musicians / songs.

Anyone else gone through the same?

TheGoodTexan, mRtINY and CapnCrunch like this.
  2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

There are definitely seasons in life. The trick is to recognize when the seasons are a changing and to accept and move into the new one with grace. I have not experienced the specific change of seasons you are in the midst of, but have experienced similar ones. It helps me to meditate on where my identity actually comes from. When you do something for as long as you have, it is actually hard to avoid mixing what you do into who you are. Maybe you don't suffer from this, but in my experience, almost all men do. It sounds like you have things pretty well sorted out in your head. But if you're experiencing "strange feelings" then your emotions may have to play some catch up. That's normal too, at least in my experience.

I just noticed you're relatively local. I have a pretty good friend who leads worship in the Vancouver area. I'd love to hear the pedal steel in a Sunday service sometime when we're down that way:).

black_doug and hotraman like this.
  3. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

PM your friend's name. Good chance I may know him. I've been here in the "Couve" for 20 years.

4. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Actually, I think there is reason not to separate these. Who you are is partly because of what you do in the world. That's one thing that makes these transitions hard - you have to reinvent yourself in some way.

If you ever figure out how to be someone relevant in the world without doing anything in the world, let me know....

JuneauMike likes this.
  5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Our worship pastor didn't work out and so one of our Session members with oversight of W&M has taken on his duties. That's meant he's generally been unavailable for music on Sundays. Just the logistics of that job is a lot of work and this experience has probably made it abundantly clear to other musicians how much goes into the things nobody sees. There's decisions he's made that I disagree with that I've chosen to go along with and not fight, just because I don't want to add to the headaches.

I do worry about his spiritual hygiene in this regard, that the schedules and demands and obligations overwhelm him and blind him to the real reason for our church to exist in the first place. I'm looking forward to us hiring someone soon.

6. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

I had the wisdom to start teaching private music lessons on the side, when my full time pastors position ended. This was 10 years ago, starting off with six students. Now I'm up to 45 students a semester, and I teach part time at a music academy here in Vancouver Wa. I'm ready to take a break form leading Sunday morning worship ( singer / acoustic guitarist). I'm on the schedule 2x this month at my home church. Its a little strange not to be playing more, but I think the Lord wants me to have a season of rest. I'm 62+,and I am blessed to be able to mentor some younger worship leaders here. I'm not in a position to retire. I enjoy playing music way too much.
    Thanks for all of your perspectives. I would appreciate prayer as I adjust to this new season of music ministry.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  7. CapnCrunch

It's cool, and encouraging, that you still have the joy and the passion. I hope mine returns, but it is absent right now.:(

hotraman likes this.
  8. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

It will for you.
    Music has always been a big part of my life, in addition to be married for 37 years, with two wonder daughters and granddaughters. One day at a time.

9. CapnCrunch

Thanks, I've been playing one musical instrument or another for 49 years (started when I was 5). It's encouraging when I hear of other guys near my age who still have a real passion for music and specifically for serving in a worship setting. You put it right in there with the most important relationships that we can have in life, i.e. with wife and children. I think that is apt, and I can honestly say that I'm feeling real grief at the changing of the relationship that I have with it.

hotraman likes this.
  10. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

I don’t blame you feeling some grief. As I type this between lessons, I’m at a church where I was asked to fill in for the worship pastor. He does a great job here. But I grew up in the So Cal Jesus Movement, where the music was a connection point with us long hair hippies. So, I’m sure I will be given opportunities to lead as a substitute. But God has other plans: I just picked up a new lap steel student. So He is providing

CapnCrunch and mRtINY like this.
  11. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, I love that. So insightful of the reality of pastoralship/ministry no matter what level or position.
    It can be and usually is, the laborious work that nobody ever sees.
    How do you thank somebody for a job well done when doing it well
    becomes seamless, transparent, and invisible.

"Thanks for playing" just doesn't seem well enough.
    A true function of humility.

12. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. Having been audio guy for years at a Los Angeles based church
    that happen to have both radio and television broadcasts, I had to
    take a well deserved break.

It's been years since that scenario, but then I got involved witha smaller
    congregation and became their audio man for a couple of years.
    Now, my family's new church has a awesome audio crew and i made myself
    available to them if they ever needed consultation but I made it clear
    my hands on everyday gig is not on the table.

I love my semi-quasi-half baked retirement schedule!

mRtINY and hotraman like this.
  13. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I quit the Church band every other week. They fire me repeatedly on the off weeks. WE have a functional relationship. I think Moses had the same problems...

ravindave_3600, mRtINY and JuneauMike like this.
  14. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I took a break a few years ago from being a Pastor and Worship Leader / Guitarist. The time away really was an eye opener of what I had missed. I found out I could NOT "sit on the bench"....I had to be in the game whether it was good or bad. BTW I'm about the same age as you and spent 19 years at my previous church. Now, a few years later, I'm back at a different church as Pastor/Worship Leader/Guitarist...who would have believed that!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  15. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Not Habakkuk....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.