1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Afraid to do it

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by stonetone7, Jul 21, 2020.

1. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

So about three months ago I got a new 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60s.

I’m loving it. I had it set up by Sweetwater for 9s. I don’t know why, really, I’ve always played 10s on Fenders. I guess I wanted to see something different.

It has some very minor buzz here and there, but totally acceptable for an electric, nothing gets through to the amp. It’s great. I’ve never had anything but Fenders in 35 years, and it is breaking me out of the plateau I’ve been on for time out of mind. Awesome.

I’ve been playing the snot out of it for months. Those 9s are now officially suspect, and I’m realizing suddenly that I’ve never set up or even changed strings on a guitar like this.

I’m not clueless. I have the tools and have set up all my Fender guitars and basses, including some nut filing here and there. But the idea is working on a guitar where the bridge will up and fall off is something that’s totally alien to me.

I have many sets of fresh 10s and I want to get them onto this very fine playing guitar. I’m willing to just dive in there. But I thought I’d seek any tips and forewarnings before I did.

Thanks for reading. It’ll all work out.

2. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

If the bridge falls off, put it back on again.

Some people say use masking tape to keep it in place.

I don't bother.

I wouldn't have any concern for the nut going from 9s to 10s.

Jakedog and Fretting out like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

If it shipped with tens it’s probably fine

All it should need is the bridge raised and maybe a truss rod tweak

It may have some high frets causing the buzz that changing strings/raising the bridge won’t change

These newer epiphones are known to be hit or miss with the fretwork with a majority having high frets

All the same setup principles apply except obviously there is no individual height adjustment

Jakedog likes this.
  4. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Yep, I would just do it, should be ok as others have said.
    I'm a bit of a wuss with strings, but even I find 9s too light on Gibson's and the like. I prefer hybrids on Fenders (9-46) and 10s on Gibson's and equivalent scale lengths

The other guys in my band are into 11s on Teles... But they're too much for my delicate constitution [emoji38]

cravenmonket likes this.
  5. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Just be ready for the tailpiece to slip off when you remove the strings, to prevent it from dinging the finish.

Going from 9's to 10's shouldn't be a problem, buzz-wise, although you might want to tweak things here and there afterward.

Also a little lube in the nut slots might help if it develops binding there.

Obsessed likes this.
  6. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Also be ready for "backwards" turning keys, posts and windings on the treble side of the headstock :)

It always makes me pause for a moment.

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Do the thing you fear.

Consider changing the strings one at a time if you don't trust yourself to control unsecured hardware.

stormsedge likes this.
  8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

one thing to try in the nut slots... put a small bit of fine paper/tissue under each string one at a time... re tune..and see if the buzz is still there. usually the smaller strings..

if it stops the buzzing, the nut slots may be the issue.... if it still buzzes, it's not the nut....

harms nothing to try that before doing anything major...... :)

MrGibbly, teletimetx and stormsedge like this.
  9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I've been changing one string at a time for 50 years. When I want to oil and clean the fret board I remove the inside four and loosen the Es, oil, dry and restring.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I just got a 2018 Epi SG ( Wonderful!),

Previous owner had 9-42 strings on it, but original spec and what I use are 10's on all electrics..No setup adjustments needed and intonation was fine.too.

Very low action, but a little more string energy coming from going to 10's.

FWI: I change one string at a time, but the new Epis ( for a few years now).have the Tone-Lock bridge and tailpiece which prevent them from coming off, if taking all strings off

11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Just buy a new guitar ...

Strings are expensive... l

kohoutec and cravenmonket like this.
  12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Just leave one string on, change the other five, then change the last one. No big. If you like the way it plays with 9s, it shouldn't need much if any work to move to 10s, unless you are real particular.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I change one string at a time too, just to make sure the bridge doesn't pop out and ding your guitar. +1 on the reverse winding on the other three strings. 10s should fit fine without anything else required. Just do it as a new experience.

14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

After you get your bridge height set then adjust the tail stop height to Max break angle without the strings hitting the back of the bridge

15. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.