Affordaboard

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Binx, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

So I came across a series the guy from 60 Cycle Hum does called affordaboard. I dont usually watch that channel or listen to the podcast, tried, but something about it didnt work for me, but I thought this little series idea was cool.
    He does different affordable pedal boards for a specific genre usually. He uses a lot of the cheap Chinese pedal brands. The guys from Andertons did a similar thing I think.
    So, just for fun, let's say you have $125 give or take, what's going on your board?
    Optional: what genre you using it for mostly?

2. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

8A28BC6A-594D-40B9-B762-07BB26719DD0.jpeg Honestly my board only cost a little more than that. Leon Drive was $30. Delay was $20 on eBay. Tuner was $20. And the Arrows was bought used for $70. The power source was like $80 though.

Genres: blues-rock, indie rock, and grunge.

artdecade likes this.
  3. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

These are all pedals i dont have, but my affordaboard would consist of (from most to least expensive):
    The Ammoon Pockverb, at about $48. It is a reverb echo combo, a few cool demos on YouTube
    20200807_172442.jpg
    The next most expensive would be the Ammoon looper, at about $33
    20200807_172537.jpg
    Next pedal would be the Joyo Voodoo Octave, an octave, big muff type fuzz combo at about $23
    20200807_172520.jpg
    And lastly the Mosky Golden Horse, a klon type clone, at about $18
    20200807_172459.jpg

Brings the total board to about $122. So if I feel like splurging and buying a tuner I could just get a Rowin tuner for about $15
    20200807_172553.jpg

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I would probably be ok with just a used way huge aquapuss and the cheapest trem pedal around. Rather than worry about a whole new board I'd just take the core pedal I currently use. This assumes I still get to use a fancy amp though?

Fretting out likes this.
  5. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

If I had to spend 125€ my afordaboard would be a tuner and a Tubescreamer

Actually is What I use... well, TWO tubescreamers

Here it is....

Nylon chopping board-2€
    Velcro-1,5€
    Korg tunner-25€
    Ibanez TS9 (switchreplaced as you see) -70€
    Tubescreamer clone made by a friend-20€ in beer
    Daisy chain-2€
    Patch cable- Taken from the "forgotten broken cables drawer" and fixed

[​IMG]

KW1977, AAT65 and Binx like this.
  6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I only play at home with modeling amps, and I get all my Modulation, Delay, and Reverb effects from the amps, so the only outboard effects I use are overdrive pedals. I have a couple of favorite Klon types, a couple TS types, a couple Timmy types, and a couple of Dumble types. My current favorites are the Caline Medusa Klon clone, the NUX OD3 TS clone, the shameless Chinese Timmy clone, which doesn't claim to be a Timmy, it's honest about being a copy, but looks a lot like a real Timmy, and I believe it's made by Mosky, and the Tone City Durple, which sounds kind of Dumbley to me (it sounds a lot like the Wampler Euphoria I had), and is an Anderton's exclusive, as it's Danish Pete's tweaked version of the Tone City Mandragora.
    medusa.jpg NUX-OD-3-Overdrive-Electric-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-True-Bypass-Warm-tube-natural-overdrive-sound.jpg 24767.f.jpg s-l225.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Brett Valentine likes this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Big muff and a MXR univibe

Or big muff and a delay

Would depend how much money was left over after the muff

RhythmFender likes this.
  8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

My affordaboard

tu-3.png

9. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I honestly don’t know why there aren’t more nylon boards out there. Cheapest, lightest, most durable material you can get.

10. greenhornet

greenhornet Tele-Meister

I see a kitty!

tidalcast likes this.
  11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

My board is in this category...Mosky B Box (my fav) or Klone, Sonicake multi (comp od rev dly, really good box) and Boost Killer. Almost an all Amazon board, I really like it! I do cheat occasionally by adding Phase 95 and Fuzz...

12. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Like the cutting board idea...

I would start here:

E2CBC2F8-6C8D-4CAE-A77E-059A4A2E01A7.jpeg

Or buy a Zoom G3n, which is the G1 Four’s big brother. Either one will do everything; I paired with that particular fuzz pedal because the Carcosa is inexpensive and versatile.

Another usable configuration:

image.jpg

Most of your budget in this one is going for the Echosex Baby, which emulates a Binson drum delay and can substitute for reverb if you need it to.

Each of these boards would cost around US$150 if you purchased everything new.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  13. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

How do you like the American Sound? What do you use it to do mostly?

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

It seems I am going to start a new tendency in the guitar world... Nylon chopping boards!!!

I am an Influencer at least!!!

Thanks TDPRI!!!! :cool:

Advice: A good idea is to stick some small rubber feet below so it doesn't slips in shiny floors!!!

dswo likes this.
  15. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I'm still learning its sound, which is one reason I picked it. The following, I can tell you, sounded great live. It was plugged straight into the PA and the resulting sound gave me a lot of confidence every time. The usual criticism of the AC Tone is that it’s noisy at high gain. With the SL Driver (bought used around US$100) I was using the Joyo for tone shaping, not gain. I had the Joyo British (=Marshall) pedal too, but didn’t care for it in isolation, and had no use for another Marshall in a Box after I got the SL Drive.

CF612B93-B70A-4747-9FD1-E49762D5DEC8.jpeg

16. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

That's Beau! He likes to hang out when I'm writing riffs; he adds fuzz to the tone.

greenhornet and Binx like this.
  17. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

This had definitely been on my list for years but I’m a pretty handy woodworker so I ended up building some pedaltrain-ish ones out of premium pine so I never had a reason to switch. But if I didn’t have those skills nor access to tools I’d go that route in a heartbeat. Throw it in an old suitcase from the thrift store and you’re good!

Binx likes this.
  18. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I use an old Lap top gig bag for that

My point was. I need a second pedalboard for another band... I am going the cheap way in this band. Home made pedal board, home made pedal, home made Princeton clone, home made partscaster...

Is a cover band and I don't want to spend much money, this band is for making money!!
    Now, after two years of gigging I bought a Gibson Les Paul P90s and a Marshall Origin 50 with my earns. I cannot complain at all...

Sold the clone but still keep the pedalboard and the Partscaster

KW1977 likes this.
  19. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

Regarding the nylon cutting board, I have also used one but my small cheap board moved to a bamboo one from Ikea, cut down to fit an old clarinet case. :)

We are in good company though, Mark Lettieri (from "Snarky Puppy" and "Fearless Flyers") used a big nylon cutting board for years, haha.

I could probably put together a board for under 125 from what I have on the shelf:

Od/Boost: Mosky Silver Horse ~20$£
    Mooer Flex Boost (bought used) ~30$£
    Mosky Spring Reverb ~23€$
    Mod: Donner Jet Convolution ~20, or Mooer 90 Orange(bought used) ~30

That could get me through a gig with my Americana project.

Binx likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.