1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Affordable Tele rail pickup that sounds close to a Chopper T?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by 11 Gauge, Oct 19, 2020.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Hey all -

I'd love to find a used Chopper T, because IMO $90 for one new just seems a bit steep, for the parts build I tend to install it in. Not much luck (as of right now) finding a used Chopper T (and been scanning for one for a few weeks, to no avail).

As far as anything that might sound similar, I'm really only aware of the GFS 'Modern' Lil Puncher, but don't know how close it actually comes to the Chopper T.

...And I'm guessing there's probably other rail-type stuff, manufactured in Asia, that might also be similar.

So, has anyone done any comparison between the Chopper T and other rail-type Tele bridge pickups, and can you report on what might be similar?

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I haven't ever used a Chopper, I did have one of the GFS dual rail Tele bridge pickups years ago and I thought it sounded good, clean and with gain.
    I believe the Artec pickups are the same thing, GFS doesn't make pickups, or other parts for that matter.

3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Not sure if it sounds like the Chopper T, but I really liked the Artec XL rails with A5 on my ex tele.

4. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

I use the Chopper T (check my avatar) as i must have a humbucker in the bridge position. It's a medium gain HB, but lovely tone, so totally worth the $90, but I'm positive I pay more than that for a new one.

Either way still worth it.
    GDR

swervinbob likes this.
  5. Praxis

Praxis Tele-Meister

I thought the Chopper T was a bit pricey, too. Now that I have one, I'm convinced it's well worth it.

It's a great pickup.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Joe Barden?

7. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I’ve used the lil punchers in a strat and didn’t care for them. GFS pickups are good but I don’t like their twin rails. The chopper is a unique pickup and you won’t find something that sounds like it. Don’t skimp and get something that’s similar to what you want that you end up removing later and end up buying the chopper anyways. It’s only 45 bucks more. That’s the cost of a used boss pedal.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  8. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Edit: ...and neither sound like the Chopper T at all. Nevermind!

I’m not sure how the Wilde L48tl compares as I don’t have it in a guitar yet but found the similar HB sized 2H L90 in the neck to be more than a match for a Shaller PAF in the bridge.

It’s not that it’s that much more output it just seems to have more of everything else. When volume matched by pickup height separately with both pickups in parallel you hear the full sound of the L90 with just peaks the hot Shaller bridge coming through.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  9. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I haven't heard the Chopper but I love the GFS rails in my Tele. I got the highest output versions and they are absolute screamers but still have a ton of Tele-ish high end. In fact they might be a bit too bright, but that can be controlled. Killer pickups. I got them on a whim and hadn't planned on leaving them in the guitar, but after a few months I have no desire to pull them.

10. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

I tried one of the GFS LiL Puncher sets about 18-20 years ago. The neck model was, hands down, the worst pickup I have ever tried. The bridge model, however, was a great rock tone. Fat and juicy. Sounded nothing like a traditional Tele pup, and it was fatter and stronger than the Chopper.

11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Another plus for the GFS Lil Puncher bridge pickup. I have a Chopper T in one Tele and a Lil Puncher (medium out put - 10k version) and they are VERY similar. I have a/b’d the guitars with the same rig on numerous occasions and use them interchangeably when gigging. The 10k version has about the same output as the Chopper T and tonally they are very close. They both respond the same way across various levels of gain and to my picking dynamics. Not a fan of them in the neck position, though.

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

That's what I was curious to know - if the 'Modern' (10K) Lil Puncher sounds similar to the Chopper T.

13. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I redid it cheap Tele copy into a sort of Richie kotzen clone. I bought two or three cheap Tele rail pickups trying to get Chopper T tone on a budget. They all sucked.

I found a Chopper T on eBay for fifty bucks and bought it. Night and day Duffy, it sounds massive. Just get one and don’t look back.

Also, I put a Tele Super Distortion in another Tele of mine, it sounds great too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.