Affordable Pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Sep 3, 2018.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

This is my demo for Guitar Madness' Dirty Digits bridge humbucker and P94 neck pickup:

The same above pickups in a full production environment:

This is my Demo of D&D Research' Damask Metal bridge humbucker, they are a US based custom winder:

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Q pickups on reverb seem to be gaining popularity. Lots of options, great price point generally. Rose pickups are another great choice for sub $150 for a set of 3. I hadn’t heard about Kens dad. He’s had a couple setbacks lately. Too bad.

parademe and Geo like this.
  3. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I didn't necessarily mean I don't like American pickups. It just wouldn't be a deal breaker to have them made overseas.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  4. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Along with Rose and Q you could get the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster set for $110 new then
    find a suitable used strat pickup.

Mincer likes this.
  5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar Madness. Or be a big spender and check out GFS.

Geo likes this.
  6. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Seymour Duncan doesn't offer Alnico 3 (without going CS). I'm not particularly fond of the broadcaster sound. I love the Alnico 3/5 set found on early Nocaster era pickups, and want to loosely replicate that tone.

Geo likes this.
  7. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

There's not practical difference between AlNiCo 2, 3 and 4 in the application of guitar pickups. Maybe that's why, of the three, Seymour Duncan only ever uses AlNiCo 2. There's marketing value in touting AlNiCo 3 or 4 for historical accuracy, or just to be different, but as Seymour Duncan was one of the first major pickups makers, they tended to play it straight until competition heated up in the new century.

8. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for Guitar Madness.

3-Chord-Genius and littlebadboy like this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For the bridge I'd go for a Fender OV Tele bridge pickup, which is/ was alnico 3 as requested, and IIRC around 7k for a not ice picky nice Tele sound.
    They may be out of production or renamed by Fender, but the OV should be new in box all over ebay for around or under $50.

The bridge pup is most important IMO because so many are either ice pick or mud, or just kinda mediocre. The OV is high quality for a good price.

10. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

uh has no one seriously recommended cavalier pickups?

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Highly recommended, but they don't meet the OP's cost criteria.

El Tele Lobo, nojazzhere and Bruxist like this.
  12. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

A fellow chicagoan! Those pickups sound great. The 57 alnico II's you recommended sold out before I got a chance to buy them.

littlebadboy likes this.
  13. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

One more vote for: Q-Pickups.
    Excellent craftsmanship within the given price range. Custom wound upon request.

14. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! I ran the GM Dirty Digits bridge into the no-load position of a 1 Meg no-load pot and the GM P-94 into a 500k pot with no tone circuit. I thought it would shrill like heck! But, it turned out fine.

You can seller to recommend something closer to it or ask when a new batch is coming! I grabbed the last GM Hot Alnico bridge (similar to an SD JB) before it runs out. Problem is, I don't have a guitar to put it in.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  15. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jess Lourero, my winder, seldom over 60 American.
    Makes me side by side double coil single slot tele bridge pickups, filtertrons, mini buckers ect.
    Goggle the name, best value out there for real hand wounds.

16. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

That's not true - I DO!!

Musicians Friends' website clearly states:

Sales Tax Policy.

We are required to collect sales tax on all orders shipped to California, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Utah, and Vermont. You will be charged the state and local sales tax rate for any orders shipped to these states.

Colorado, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Louisiana, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, and Washington Residents: Musician's Friend is not obligated to, and does not, collect sales tax in your state. Your purchase is subject to sales/use tax in these states unless it is specifically exempt from taxation. The purchase is not exempt merely because it is made over the Internet or by other remote means. These states require that you file a sales/use tax return at the end of the year reporting all of the purchases that were not taxed on those purchases. Retailers that do not collect sales tax in these states are obligated to provide purchasers an end-of-year summary of purchases in order to assist them in filing their tax report. Retailers that do not collect sales tax in these states may be required by law to provide the Department of Revenue with an annual report of the total amount of all of your purchases above certain thresholds. Details on how to file this return may be found at your applicable Department of Revenue website.

If you are purchasing on behalf of a tax exempt organization, please fax your tax exemption information to 800-421-5174.

Contact Us

For more information on shipping call us at 800-449-9128 .

17. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I am very happy with Tonerider pickups in both a Tele and a Strat. Check them out. A bargain for the sound and quality.

Tony474 likes this.
  18. Doug B

Doug B Tele-Meister

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. BryanLB

BryanLB Tele-Meister

https://www.ebay.ca/usr/q_pickups I just ordered a set of monster high output neck and bridge for a tele. Can't wait to receive them. They should completely change this guitar's sound. See old pickups in bottom photo. Dimarzio super distortion, GFS rails.

6BC44F03-7272-46FC-926C-9CBF9780DAE3-406-00000034D4A85FE3.jpeg 5F88468D-A9E1-4CC6-B54E-7211FC58A868-406-00000034CFFB24CB.jpeg
    IMG_0133.JPG

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. Slowisfast

Slowisfast Tele-Meister

Check Buddha Pickups on Reverb. Tim wound me a set to my specs with mixed mags. They sound phenomenal. It was 75 shipped.

Wait time was 8 weeks though, which for me, wasn't a big deal.

Edit to add: It was for a set of strat pickups. Not tele. So I would imagine that what you're looking for would fall into the same range.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.