Affordable options for getting into the sports car thing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Jun 12, 2021.

1. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Miatas are gateway drugs to Boxsters. Just so you know:)

To keep it under $10K, and a true sports car, an old Miata is the obvious choice.

I am fortunate to own an M2 and a Boxster. The Boxster is the essence of a sports car. But it’s a Porsche, so you pay along the way. Value is going up though. I caught my 987 at the bottom of its depreciation cycle two years ago. There are now very few of those $10K 986s, they are going up as well.

SacDAve, naveed211 and CharlieO like this.
  2. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

His budget is $10,000 or less. If you are selling that in this price range, I'll take it. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/all-cars?zip=34238&makeCodeList=INFIN&modelCodeList=G37

naveed211 likes this.
  3. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

If it were me, I'd save up a few more coins and consider something like a used BMW M3 convt. or M5. I had a friend who had an M3 and that thing was all sorts of fun, it was expensive to maintain though... but... for me it would be worth it to have the extra room and tons of fun too.

4. filtersweep

filtersweep Tele-Meister

Not saying a Miata is a money pit, but loads of 30 year old Miatas have asking prices north of $10K. It is just silly.

Chuckster and bgmacaw like this.
  5. dkmw

I think the op wants a sports car. I love my M2, but it’s a sports sedan.

CharlieO likes this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Honestly, I’m leaning toward a Miata or a Vette, with a Mustang GT getting at least some consideration.

Not a money pit would be a plus. I’m not expecting it to be a Camry, and it won’t be a daily driver, but I’d like to drive it without constantly putting money into it ideally. I’m not handy, but my brother in law is a mechanic in town, so I’m not going to get hosed in that regard at least.

Chuckster and LocoTex like this.
  7. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Chuckster and naveed211 like this.
  8. dkmw

Have you driven both? They are kinda opposite interpretations of a sports car. The Miata is very light and small, with a high revving small 4 cylinder. The Corvette is a ponderous beast in comparison, but it’s got a big honkin’ V8 that’ll step the tail out in an instant.

Boreas and dented like this.
  9. naveed211

Haven’t driven anything yet. I have loved Vettes at least aesthetically since being a kid so there’s that. I just hear a lot of good things about Miatas.

If one is a money pit and one isn’t, I’d go for more reliability if it’s one obvious over another and both are equally fun in different ways. But I would like to drive both and other options too if possible.

Unionjack515, dkmw and dented like this.
  10. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

11. naveed211

dented likes this.
  12. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I smile ear to ear whenever I see an old Pontiac Solstice convertible. Probably a huge money pit. But so frickin’ cool looking.

naveed211 likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Whenever I hear the word "Miata", I think of bubble headed blondes in convertibles.... :lol:

You can get a number of vintage British types for that. have good tools!
    A friend in the sports car club had a Lancia for quite a while.. Like a poor man's Ferrari! I had a Supra T top Turbo. Super quality car. Smooth as ice at 110 MPH. :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Any corvette prior to C5 has a truck motor in front, being cast iron, and a truck solid diff. A lead tipped Scud with 17th century rear suspension. Coupled with so-so brakes, ovrassisted steering. Fast, but a bit lethal. The more common auto makes it not an easy car to push.

A lot of fun on a perfectly smooth skid pad but not really what you want to be hustling down a bumpy backroad.

Ditto older Mustangs. Cheap, but pretty nasty. Yes, you can drop them into stiff Springs and shocks, big swaybars (Track Pack) and sticky tyres that wear quickly and you still have a nosey, tail-y car that looks for an excuse to lose the front or the back. And rattles your fillings and belts your butt over every pavement join.

Miata. Independent rear suspension, softer and compliant but hugs undulating surfaces. Light steering but with feel. 50:50 weight distribution and low mass with low CoG.

What all that means is while the guy with the C4 or Mustang is wrestling the car, understeering on the brakes on the way into corners and then threatening to go into sudden snap oversteer in the transition between brakes and gas over bumps or uneven or even just damp surfaces, the miata will have danced through without the driver sawing at the wheel, and been off the brakes sooner,, higher corner speed through the middle and sooner on the gas. You'll be slowed down by the Vette or 'stang in the corners then unable to pass them in the straight.

Old skool muscle cars are fun because they're unruly. But their limits aren't that high, and when they bite it's a lot of weight, momentum and energy to get to change direction.They don't handle line changes or big midcorner bumps well at the limit and you need to be confident to rotate them on the gas.

All that's much easier on a small light car with perfect weight distribution.carried low, enough brakes, manual trans, not too much HP.

drlucky, dlaroe, RomanS and 4 others like this.
  15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Nothing goes as fast as a hire car.

SRHmusic and Ed Driscoll like this.
  16. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

As P.J. O'Rourke wrote in his classic article, "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink:"

Remember kids, this was the 1970s, and we've learned much since then. Don't try this at home. ;)

17. naveed211

That’s a really helpful comparison. Thanks!

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Is this a bad time to say I can't stand Miyata's?
    They look like an old man idea of a sensible sports car.
    Yells at clouds!
    Go big $$ or go home!

I was shopping for a 52yo man toy ten years ago and saw a couple of cool vintage road burners, one was a Mercedes convertible two seater with 5L V8 and the other was a BMW 6 series. The Benz was $5k and looked great, really just needed spendy maintenance.
    Both well under $10k and working but the sort of car that requires some actual sporting nature in the man.
    The BMW 6 series though, damn those are nice.

Where would a Miyata vs all the cool cars we lust over, fit in the range of Telecasters?
    Right about Squier Affinity grade?
    Affordable, reliable, won't upset the wife or muss up our lifestyle?

Go scary or go home!

bgmacaw likes this.
  19. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I don't think it's a bad time to say what you did, but I think you might see some disagreement. :)

I don't own a Miata, though I did have an MG at one point and I've scoped out a few other cars in that ballpark. In my experience, a Miata is the American Standard Telecaster of the sports car world. Nothing scary, nothing flashy, but the definition of a sports car. Front engine, RWD, good balance, convertible. Exactly what you need and nothing more.

I think in today's market the original poster's budget makes things harder. Prices on a lot of items are crazy.

drlucky, RomanS and LocoTex like this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

That comparison is urging you to make a sensible sedate choice for you midlife crisis buy!

Don't get anything that will tax your composure!
    Not too much power old man!
    Stay away from the scary stuff!
    You can't handle too much now dear, don't bite off more than you can chew, here let me cut your meat for you and get your slippers!

naveed211 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.