Affordable options for getting into the sports car thing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Jun 12, 2021.

1. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

Miata, Integra, WRX, Mazda 3 Speed, older Nissan Z. Lots of fun, bang-for-the-buck cars available. No reason to drive boring :)

Chuckster and naveed211 like this.
  2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Mine is soooo much funnnnn....
    1623566551114.jpg

These were actually conceived and design to actually be fun to drive.

dlaroe, SRHmusic, RobRiggs and 4 others like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I accidentally light up the tires on my Volvo wagon regularly, handles good too, pretty much kills old MGB grade "sports cars".
    Might even kill an old Z car but I'm not sure on that.
    The 2.5L five cylinder 20 valve turbo motor is around 200hp.
    Excellent handling too but of course longer wheelbase and not as nimble as a miyata.
    I love performance but I guess I put capability above sports, not much capability in a miyata.
    Volvo made a couple of smaller models that are now older and under $10k, some with the high pressure turbo AKA T5.
    Those are little screamers but don't really say mid life crisis or check out my sports car.

mexicanyella and Greggorios like this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Miata. Buy the right one, care for it and it'll be worth more when you sell it.

Like a vintage English sports car, except it starts every time, doesn't leak its vital fluids on your driveway, and doesn't have Joe Lucas Prince of Darkness electrics.....

drlucky, Chuckster, dlaroe and 5 others like this.
  5. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It is possible to find first generation Porsche Boxsters for less than $10K. But be aware that maintenance and repairs will be much more expensive than a Miata.

Greggorios, dented and naveed211 like this.
  6. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

Yeah here's my 2 bits (if that wasn't a joke) saw one of those cut completely in half trying to make a left across a 2 lane road. The woman inside was in several pieces, sports cars are extremely dangerous, not because they go fast, because everyone else drive an Escalade SUV.

Get a jeep or older toyota tacoma TRD pro and go 4 wheeling instead.

Telekarster and Slip Kid like this.
  7. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Definitely Miata. Having owned one of the above (MG) I can tell you that if you buy a British roadster you will spend as much time working on it as you will driving it.

8. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

^^This^^...done right, one can have sports car handling, old school-ish rumble, and a daily driver...

mustang gt 1.PNG

on Tail of the Dragon...

mustang gt tailodragon.PNG

9. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

My friend had one for a few years.

Here in PA we have hundreds of miles of twisty two lane roads that are made for sports cars and motorcycles. But they are usually fairly bumpy, to say the least. That corvette was fun to drive on the back back roads, but it rode like a buckboard. And it was not easy to get in and out of.

After a few years he sold it and bought a 2011 mustang fastback with a non turbo 300 h.p. V-6.
    It handles and moves out about the same as the vette did, but its easy to get in and out of, and it rides much smoother.

Just MHO.

dented, naveed211 and stormsedge like this.
  10. filtersweep

filtersweep Tele-Meister

Under $10K?! I’d say forget about it.

You need to buy used. Maybe look at a two door Mini with a 6-speed and the biggest engine you can find.

But a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche… even a Miata?! You would be lucky to find something that isn’t a money pit. Corvette?! At that price range?!?

The recommendations are not realistic at this price range. Maybe an old Miata…. But even these retain their value remarkably well.

Chuckster, Slip Kid and bgmacaw like this.
  11. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

If you have any concerns about a Miata being too small, you can actually fit quite a bit in one if you pack it smartly. I use mine daily, and it's how I haul my gear to gigs. I can fit a guitar, keyboard, pedalboard, monitor, stands, and a backpack in it with (some) room to spare. Somewhere I have a picture of the it fully loaded.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Saturn sky or Pontiac soltice 2007

My neighbor does love his miata though.

13. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Porsche Boxter S, mid engine with excellent handling and great power. I'd recommend 2005 on up. any Pre 2009 should have the intermediate shaft bearing upgrade performed which many already have had done.

Unionjack515 likes this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I inherited a ‘98 Z3. It has been absolutely reliable, only needing battery and tires and normal tuneups in ten years. Plus I replaced the convertible top. Bluebook is only around $4k. I would have liked a Miata just as much or more, but it’s hard to argue with free. I live in So Cal so the top is down except when it rarely rains. Even if I have to wear a jacket and crank the heat the top is down- that’s the whole fun of it, really.

JL_LI, Boreas and naveed211 like this.
  15. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

Mazda Miata. They're handling is superb and they're designed to let you run the engine hard without going too fast. Because it's limited on power, it forces you to work the gear box which is one of the most fun aspects of a sports car. Miatas are also inexpensive to purchase and cheap to maintain. I had one of a few years and had to let it go because we were moving. I still miss that car...

16. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 2013 Infiniti G37 coupe they handle really well lot of fun to drive. You can find them in your price range the manuals seem to be desired more. Mine is a 6 speed manual almost 34K on it, most the time I drive the nice vehicle the 96 Tacoma sport truck
    IMG_2656 copy.JPG

dented and Telekarster like this.
  17. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Does a first generation Ford Bronco with a gun rack in the rear window qualify as a Texan Sports Car ?

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The practicality of these sports cars is suspect to me. I learned this when I watched a "too cool" guy I had just sold some gear to try to fit it and his girlfriend into a two seater. It was hilarious to watch but he did make it work, maybe at the cost of his relationship. A Miata would probably be a good choice though, if you can find one (a) being sold and (b) at a good price.

I did briefly consider a used 2006 Chevy SSR, a small sports truck that would sort of solve the cargo issue. But the used price was high, especially since the one I looked at needed work (aka a typical GM product) and my wife wasn't in favor of the purchase.

chevyssr.JPG

Greggorios and naveed211 like this.
  19. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A Miata money pit? I don't think so. I wouldn't touch a sub-$10,000 Porsche, BMW, or Mercedes (does Mercedes actually sell a sports car in the US?), but I could buy a Miata blindfolded and not worry too much about it.

The two best answers have already been posted several times. Miata or C4 Corvette. If you are buying a C4 Corvette, buy the newest one you can within the budget range. It is very interesting to track the annual improvements that GM put into the Corvette from 1984 to 1996. I'd look for a 1993 to 1996 to get the LT1 engine.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    runstendt, LocoTex, Boreas and 2 others like this.
  20. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

:lol::lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.