Affordable low latency cab IR pedals?

JohnnyCrash

Doctor of Teleocity
I’ve been searching and searching and it seems like there aren’t a whole lot of options available.

Any recommendations? Especially with a balanced out XLR.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have a CAB M, and I've thought about trying one of these to compare just the IR capabilities. The CAB M/M+ does a lot more than just IR of course.

Edit: I meant to add that this is the cheapest one I could find with an XLR out.

JohnnyCrash

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a CAB M, and I've thought about trying one of these to compare just the IR capabilities. The CAB M/M+ does a lot more than just IR of course.

Edit: I meant to add that this is the cheapest one I could find with an XLR out.

I have that exact SoniCake unit.

I like how it has bass cab IRs too (though, only two), since I’m also recording bass. The stock IRs sound decent and it conveniently runs off of a 9 volt supply, too.

My only problem with it is the high latency. It feels/sounds a little laggy.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
It depends on your usage. You can't get ( opinion ) much better than the H&K Red Box. Zero latency. Is zero low enough?
It isn't an IR pedal in the same way IR pedals are thought of though.
http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/redbox-5/red-box-5/
If one fits your usage, they're the bog's dollocks.
A super inexpensive option for FOH is a unit along the lines of the Behringer Ultra-G DI. Other manufacturers produce similar. Think 'Red Box' without as many options. Very good for lobbing in a gig bag.
Again, zero latency.

What's your intended usage?

JohnnyCrash

Doctor of Teleocity
It depends on your usage. You can't get ( opinion ) much better than the H&K Red Box. Zero latency. Is zero low enough?
It isn't an IR pedal in the same way IR pedals are thought of though.
http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/redbox-5/red-box-5/
If one fits your usage, they're the bog's dollocks.
A super inexpensive option for FOH is a unit along the lines of the Behringer Ultra-G DI. Other manufacturers produce similar. Think 'Red Box' without as many options. Very good for lobbing in a gig bag.
Again, zero latency.

What's your intended usage?

I saw the H&K Redbox and the Behringer…

I ruled them out since I’m mostly using it for recording, so I want more cab options. The more flavors, colors, and textures the better.

I’d like the DI out for recording, but also for the possibility that I’d gig again. I’ve been a tube amp snob forever, but technology has come a long way. I’m still not getting rid of all of the tube amps I built, though ;)

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
That’s probably what I’ll do.

I don’t like the 12 volt power supply, and they have more features than I’d probably use, but the headphone jack and balanced DI are nice to have.

The CAB M+ has features that I don't use, but it's a great unit IMO. I find it very easy to use. You can adjust any parameter right on the unit, no need to fire up the software. The custom EQ is a Godsend to me. It's basically a parametric EQ with high and low shelving. Very powerful.

It took some time to dial in my presets initially, but now I have a few nice ones that I use and I'm very pleased.

Thin white duke

Friend of Leo's
I’ve been searching and searching and it seems like there aren’t a whole lot of options available.

Any recommendations? Especially with a balanced out XLR.
I've got the Nux Mini Studio and it works great, no DI out i'm afraid, i use a Palmer DI, you can try with the bigger model, the Solid Studio, another affordable with the DI is the Hotone Omni IR.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I’d like the DI out for recording, but also for the possibility that I’d gig again. I’ve been a tube amp snob forever, but technology has come a long way. I’m still not getting rid of all of the tube amps I built, though ;)

I use the CAB M at home with a Suhr Reactive Load for silent practice and recording with my tube amps. I also use the CAB M at gigs, without the reactive load, to the PA instead of miking. There's a -24dB switch on the side, so the input can handle speaker level input. All I do is run a speaker cable from my ext. speaker jack to the CAB M.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
The Mower Radar is a neat little cab sim pedal. Their IRs blow, but you have 30 slots to easily load up quality IRs from OwnHammer, York Audio, ML Sound Labs, Celestion Plus, etc. Great little piece of gear. You can use a TRS-XLR plug to use it on a mixer channel.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Holic
I just got the foolowing:
NUX NSS-4 Mini Core Series Pulse IR Loader Guitar Effects Pedal

Again no XLR.... but it sounds good and is tiny.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I like this one a lot
1679342367616.png

I just keep it on the setting displayed
(yes we have no XLR)

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Look again at the Red Box. I love mine. True, it doesn’t have an infinite array of IRs to load, but it has zero latency and the little flippy switches give you 8 different speaker sounds. If none of them are quite right, you can always tweak with EQ and reverb them after the fact, when latency doesn’t matter.

I run my tube amps through mine (with a dummy load). I’ve also used it with dirt boxes and no amp, and always been happy with the sounds I get.

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
I have the TwoNotes CabM+.. its outstanding.. I use it with external preamps.. so I turn the on-board preamp off, and just use the power amp simulation and speaker sim IR's..

I use it live and I do dual mono (1/4 TRS and XLR outs) to go L and R direct to PA. In my opinion, its a very good piece of gear.. and because TwoNotes have been able to separate the preamp and the power amp, it's become a very flexible piece of rig for me..

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

I also use it for acoustic loaded with acoustic IR's! and it transformed the entry level piezo pickups in my acoustic to something else without ever needing an acoustic preamp.. plus my signal is loud and hot so I dont need anything else to get my signal thundering through the PA.

here's a demo of my Dumble ODS preamp into CabM+ with 6L6GC Power Amp emulation (Pentode more, Push Pull), and Mesa Boogie California Tweed 2x12 loaded with Jensen Blackbird DynIR.. I'm the one with the ES-330

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I have the TwoNotes CabM+.. its outstanding.. I use it with external preamps.. so I turn the on-board preamp off, and just use the power amp simulation and speaker sim IR's..

I use it live and I do dual mono (1/4 TRS and XLR outs) to go L and R direct to PA. In my opinion, its a very good piece of gear.. and because TwoNotes have been able to separate the preamp and the power amp, it's become a very flexible piece of rig for me..

I also use it for acoustic loaded with acoustic IR's! and it transformed the entry level piezo pickups in my acoustic to something else without ever needing an acoustic preamp.. plus my signal is loud and hot so I dont need anything else to get my signal thundering through the PA.

here's a demo of my Dumble ODS preamp into CabM+ with 6L6GC Power Amp emulation (Pentode more, Push Pull), and Mesa Boogie California Tweed 2x12 loaded with Jensen Blackbird DynIR.. I'm the one with the ES-330

That sounds great!

Recently, I’ve been using the CAB M+ and ToneX pedal for recording at home. The ToneX stores amp captures, so they’re not directly comparable, but the ToneX takes a lot of tweaking to get it to sound as natural as the CAB M+ with pedals in my experience.

There’s a bit of a learning curve with both, but I still think the CAB M+ is a fine unit, and it’s easier to use IMO.

JohnnyCrash

Doctor of Teleocity
That sounds great!

Recently, I’ve been using the CAB M+ and ToneX pedal for recording at home. The ToneX stores amp captures, so they’re not directly comparable, but the ToneX takes a lot of tweaking to get it to sound as natural as the CAB M+ with pedals in my experience.

There’s a bit of a learning curve with both, but I still think the CAB M+ is a fine unit, and it’s easier to use IMO.

I’m definitely going to pick up the CAB M+.

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
That sounds great!

Thanks my man! my only gripe is that they didnt make it fully featured! I guess they were testing the market, but the first Torpedo CAB did have a few features I would've liked to see in the modern version..

I wish it had MIDI and stereo I/O's.. When I have multiple amp tones at your disposal, I'd want to be able to switch the presets and match the amp with the speaker IR I set for it.. I'd have to bend down, which isnt really a problem and have been doing it, but if it had MIDI, I wouldve been able to automate everything in one press of a button along with my delays, reverbs, etc.. oh well..

Stereo is just a matter of putting the CabM+ before the stereo pedals as it only does mono and dual mono.. but I like to run the CabM+ at the end of my rig before the PA to do the heavy lifting.. but then again, nobody in the audience really notices the stereo effect in the PA House speakers LOL, so dual mono is still just as good to me. LOL