Affordable Dumble ODS clone from VHT is about to drop

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by scout2112, Jan 9, 2020.

1. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

cleans sound good... thanks. I just went on vacation the day after I got mine so I won’t even get a chance to play it until next week. I’m curious about the natural overdrive and how loud the amp gets at the edge of breakup?

if anyone is on the fence about getting one... Guitar Center has $100 off with code: Savebig

TeleTex82 likes this.
  2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Yeah I've been I've been super busy this week so have maybe an hour total of play time. I havent cranked it yet, but it seems to have plenty of headroom. Will try today. One thing it does really well is respond to dynamics and variety in picking attack. You can go from crisp clear clean to some really nice bite and growl just by changing your attack. It reacts really well to the guitar's pickups, volume, and tone controls without coloring things too much.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    jimtlin likes this.
  3. jimtlin

jimtlin TDPRI Member

I did a search for the "VHT D-50H 50W Tube Guitar Amp" and this thread came up... very interested in your findings! I actually tried to buy a new Fuchs 50 watt last year, but after two defective amps were sent to me by an online vender, I gave up and bought a Dr Z. I'm fairly sure I'll pick up one of these in a few months -- the price is right and if user reviews are positive, I'm sure I won't be able to resist.

CC Tele, scout2112 and TeleTex82 like this.
  4. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I picked up a Sovtek 12AX7LPS to replace the presubably JJ tube that’s in the PI slot.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  5. TeleTex82

Please let us know what you find when you open it up!

PS I started a VHT D Fifty owners club!

6. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

A good new video has popped up:

7. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Right out of the box, SG w/HB, mid setting, pots open. sealed 1x12 w/Weber Cali, amp dry.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    TeleTex82 and Jlwctn like this.
  8. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

i think Larry Carlton when you mention that touch with a Dumble..tend to agree..the 4 holer analogy..fully on board..everything dimed & use that guitar like a weapon & extract tone .. i must be from the neanderthal side of playing...lol

9. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Pre-amp tubes were all Chinese 12AX7Bs. Power tubes are JJs..
    I now have a Sovtek LPS in the PI, and short plate GEs in V1 and V2. Also have a set of JAN Phillips 6L6WGBs on the way.
    Bias was a bit cold on mine...28-29mAs.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  10. TeleTex82

Did you see any major changes?

11. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

I think so. The OD seems smoother and I had some harshness and sterile treble I couldn't dial out of the clean channel which seems to be much better. I adjusted the bias so some of this change might be from that as well. Still experimenting and dialing things in. Haven't changed the power tubes yet but have some NOS 5881s on the way.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  12. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I noticed that VHT finally put out a demo of the amp and their newer FET clean boost pedal last month:

and with the D-Boost:

13. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

This is by no means scientific polling methodology but I'm only hearing good things about this amp.

14. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for reminding me this exists, last time I looked it was before it hit retailers.

15. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I just had my D-50 converted from 6L6 to EL34 tubes. My amp tech said it's an easy mod; he dropped the bias pot resistor from 21k to 15k to be able to accommodate either tube type. I have also upgraded the preamp tubes to Sovtek 12AX7LPS in all of the slots. Here's a sample of the amp with JJ EL34's played through a Marshall 1960 B JMP cab.
    The humbucker is in bridge position. First 30 seconds is with the built in OD from amp engaged, then clean (OD disengaged).

One word of warning to anyone who is thinking about removing the chassis from the amp. The top handle must be removed from the amp BEFORE you attempt to remove the chassis. The screws are too long and could otherwise damage the electrolytics as the chassis is being removed.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    TeleTex82, BlueCajun and Jlwctn like this.
  16. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

Here's a quick clip to demo the boost (lead) mode. This time I'm using a Thiele cabinet with EV12L speaker.

BlueCajun and aeyeq like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.