1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Affordable classic Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TellyJelly74, Jul 3, 2015.

1. TellyJelly74

TellyJelly74 TDPRI Member

Hi everyone,

i was wondering what tele series is the one that is closest to an orginal 50s tele but still is somewhat affordable. I play a 50s classic series which is fine but the ash body is a little on the heavy side and i was wondering what series is comparable but even closer to the original. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

The Classic 50's is probably closest in an affordable model - and certainly not all of them are heavy. Just a little more expensive, and authentic, is the version with the lacquer finish.

But to get really close you have to step up to the American Vintage '52 or '58.

http://www.fender.com/telecaster/vintage/

3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Look at the other offerings in the Vintage Series. There are quite a few in the same price range as your Classic Series '50s.

4. robinn

robinn TDPRI Member

No Fenders: but Squier has a classic vibe 50s telecaster. Wood is pine I believe, so not that heavy. (Much) thinner necks than your Fender 50s classic. Still a very nice guitar, many rave about them, especially on this forum.

5. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

What price range is "affordable" for you?

6. TellyJelly74

TellyJelly74 TDPRI Member

I didn´t get precise on this, i know. A new classic 50s is about 850 $ (760 EUR) in Germany. An American Vintage 58 is 1640 EUR (1.840 $). I was thinking about somethin below 1.000 EUR (1.100 $). Just to give you a direction.

7. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For that money, if the Classic 50's doesn't float your boat, try a Roadworn 50s Tele, or else you would need to put together a partscaster to vintage specs.

Nothing in between them and the AVRI 52.

8. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

The Classic 50's Lacquer's MSRP is $900, the same as the Roadworn.

The Roadworn is a good guitar but it has (narrow) jumbo frets and overwound Tex-Mex pickups. I'd say it's not as close to a true 50's model as the Classic Lacquer.

9. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Find a body online and order a new one?

10. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Try the Mex FSR. I grabbed one of these light BSB Teles and set it up to vintage specs, added a set of Texas Specials and it's a great Tele. Light, resonant and it has a nice, not too skinny neck profile, too. A good, light, vintage model, with great tone. Nice 6105 frets. I'm not a big fan of the ceramic pickups, but lots of folks here like them. And, the price shouldn't set you back nearly what the Classic model will. That said, I do like my 50s Classic tons.

11. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

Probably slightly more $ but say a '90s '52 RI (not the current AV) would be
    close as it goes near your price range. I've played quite a number of real
    vintage blackguards over the years so at least have a real sample. The thing
    with the '52 RI ones is they varied a lot in characteristics and weight over
    years of production ones. I have a '96 that is swamp ash weighing 6.4 Lbs
    (2.9 kg) but have also played much heavier ones with odd finish coloring.

12. mg426

mg426 Tele-Holic

Get a classic vibe tele..they are very nice pieces..5 screw pick guard..split tuners..3 saddle bridge..Nice guitars..!

13. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

The Classic Player Baja is nice - soft V neck, better pickups (Broadcaster & Twisted Tele) than a 50s Classic.

Otherwise the Road Worn 50s Tele if it must have a nitro finish, or the Classic 50s Lacquer is fine.

What I've found with Mexican Ash-bodied Teles is they vary a lot in weight, so try as many as you can and find a light (7lbs say) one.

Thanks,

14. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yup. What he said.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Classic 50s MIM in Lacquer.

Look for another Classic 50s MIM in the poly, with a lighter ash body. The ash body on my Classic 50s Esquire (same guitar) is no heavier than a couple of my AV52s.

I've seen AV52s used and kind beat up for as little as $ 600 in the USA, but I'd be supremely surprised if you could accomplish that in your market over there - or even close, but.

It stands to Reason that as the Dollar ascends and the Euro sags, that Store Prices in Europe will adjust quickly and no bargains will be found. And thus, finding a seller who bought his AV52 back when the Euro was strong, and a seller who doesn't really expect to capitalize on the shift in the currencies - he may be willing to pass along the advantage once bestowed on him when he bought it.

I'm saying a new Classic 50s MIM Lacquer may end up costing more than a pre 2012 AV52 used from a private seller, in Germany 2015.

16. Bmoflaz

Bmoflaz TDPRI Member

I have a 94-95 MIJ 50's reissue telecaster that is a really great guitar... if you can find one. I paid $620 for it then, and they are going for between $800-1000 now depending on where you find it and the condition. It's got a Basswood body which is really light, a single-ply 5 screw pickguard, vintage tuners & domed knobs.

Might be worth a look.

17. PickMaker

PickMaker TDPRI Member

You're not alone in your quest. A buddy of mine decided the Baja did it for him. I've decided to assemble one with a used Warmoth boat neck and Fralin pickups.

18. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I wonder if Reverb would sell and then ship it to Berlin?

Might not matter. Somebody else here near Quincy, MA is bound to be on this deal.

20. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

Approx $600 for the following:

Guitar mill unfinished swamp ash body ~ $150
    Fender genuine replacement 50s telecaster neck~ $150
    Fender original vintage telecaster pickup set ~ $100 or even less
    Pickguard- 20 to 40 $
    Tuners, 3 saddle bridge, pots, switch and other hardware ~ 150

Tusq xl nut - $20

I've made 3 to these exact specs and all are amazing with tons of vintage feel. Just be prepared to do body finishing easiest is oil, shielding, wiring, assembly, and setup- it is an adventure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.