Affordable booster or overdrive for (really) clean boost.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Tornado, Jan 23, 2019.

1. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

BOSS LS-2.... It's a line selector, but in the right mode works as a boost (or cut) with two separate level controls.

I'm not sure about Amsterdam, but here on the other side of the pond people buy these then don't know what to do with them and sell them off for next to nothing... (locally they sell for less than $50 CAD). They are a great utility pedal.... and using it as a single or double boost pedal is just one of those utilities.

jddub440 likes this.
  2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, Tornado! Have you made any progress? Bought anything? Leaning toward anything?

3. Tornado

Tornado TDPRI Member

Not yet. I have planned to take my time for this. At the moment I am thinkin about a Timmy. There is a online store in Holland that sells one new for 83 euros. They sell it on an Ebay like Dutch site. Before I make a decision I think I am gonna try a few pedals at a local store. For example the Boss Bluesdriver that is recommended here.
    With high gain settings it is not my pedal, but never tested it with the gain low.

4. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

go on and try mxr cae booster line driver.just but just clean boost even at the highest setting

5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

A Bluesbreaker style pedal is about as clean as you can get from an overdrive. I bought the Tomsline/Aroma Bluesy. It was $30, and sounds great. You can't get more affordable than that.

kevsonic likes this.
  6. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

VFE Rocket or Dragon can do it.

7. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

:lol:

I love pedal threads:D

GGardner likes this.
  8. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal (booster side), BOSS Ge-7, T-Rex Tonbug Booster

9. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

RC Booster - I also use it to reach things on the top shelf

10. Tornado

Tornado TDPRI Member

I won't rush it but I really think a Timmy overdrive comes closest to what I have in mind. On youtube I have seen a video where the guy boosted his clean signal a bit with a Timmy an it sounds good. Apart from the boost it gives the sound also a bit of an overdrive character without a dirty edge.

I also saw a good demo of the Danelectro Coolcat transparent overdrive V1 which is in the Timmy categorie and I liked it even a bit better (thanks for the hint Shuster). Sounds a bit smoother to me. So the coming time I think I am gonna figure out whether I am going for a second hand Danelectro or an ''original'' Timmy.

11. Tornado

Tornado TDPRI Member

I have finally made a choice. It is not a Timmy (clone) but a Mooer Bluescrab. With the drive at 10 o'clock you get a nice clean boost and with a little subtle edge when you hit the strings hard.

kevsonic likes this.
  12. Grady3006

Grady3006 TDPRI Member

I just added the Exotic EP Booster. I run it on 18v and I love it!!!

13. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

For whatever it's worth, my vote is now irrevocably changed to the Lovepedal Elephant Man. Clean, it slices and dices its way through a mix, but if you want to give another dirt pedal some fire, place the Elephant before it and make sure your fireproof attire is up to snuff. Because, hot-damn!

Mine was $50 at a Lovepedal flash-sale a few months back.

14. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I've had an original Fulltone Fat Boost (discontinued) for close to a decade and I love the push it puts on my Blues Jr and my Hot Rod DeVille. I see them on craigs andfleebay from time to time. Well worth the $. It's called a Fat Boost but the clarity is where it's at.

15. Singles Forever

Singles Forever TDPRI Member

Do a search on my posts on the fender engager boost.

16. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I'm really curious about this pedal. A lot of people really seem to like it. I'm wondering how it compares to using a TS style pedal as a boost.

17. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

I picked one of these up back in 2009, and its been on my pedal board (usually left ON) pretty much ever since.
    Adds a good "sparkle," somewhere I had read why it does that...but cannot find it now.
    BBE gets some hate on these forums for their quality, but I say this one is a winner. Especially now that they have reduced the pedal size to one which is more standard.

18. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I didn't realize they had quality issues. I've had a number of them over the years without a problem.

19. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

Spark mini is one knob boost and does not color one iota if that's what you want -- I've used that. I'm in the EQ camp for boost. I really like my Earthquaker Devices Tonejob for clean boost -- set flat it is transparent -- then dial in with the 3 band eq -- it is the best I have ever tried for a "clean" boost. The Boss GE7 will do the same thing but I prefer the Tonejob for simplicity and true bypass -- if you need the buffer the GE7 might be perfect. The Timmy is outstanding for a little dirt and tone shaping but adds its own color, though not nearly as much as other overdrives and not necessarily bad. For me, most overdrives color the tone with too much midrange to serve this function -- but for many that's just what they are looking for. I like to control the eq --on a boost or even an overdrive.

20. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

As best I can tell, it increases output and also applies some EQ. A pure boost into a guitar amp increases treble and often sounds harsh. The Boosta Grande rolls back the treble slightly so it sounds neutral but louder.

I didn't have much use for it until I started setting up my amp with the preamp just below clipping. The Boosta Grande lets me push it into slight clipping but the treble roll-off makes it sound and feel natural. It's been great for when I want to stomp something that just gives me "more".

umasstele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.