1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Affinity Tele - Thinking of modding it

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by mamoru, Sep 30, 2016.

1. mamoru

mamoru TDPRI Member

Hi guys,

been a long time reader and today I've decided to post a question I've had some hard time to find out.

So, I have a 2-tone sunburst Affinity Tele and I'm planning on putting two p-90's on it.
    At first, I was planning on getting standard sized p-90's but here in Brazil it is actually really hard to find a P-90 fit Pickguard for a tele.

Now, I'm thinking of putting two humbucker sized P-90's but I don't really know if I should go for a Humbucker slot bridge or a hardtail piece with a humbucker cover for the pup.

If I'm getting a Humbucker slot bridge, is there any cheap top-loader around?
    Or if I'm to get a hardtail piece + humbucker cover, will any screw hole from the stock bridge will show?

I don't really mind to have some drilling on the body, but I'm really concerned about screw holes showing.
    or even further, is there any concern or tips on installing any of those options?

Thank you so much guys!

2. BigJerm

BigJerm TDPRI Member

This is an ambitious idea you have, lol. I empathize entirely, as I want a tele with a humbucker in the bridge as well. I'm planning on getting the same exact guitar actually. Personally, I'm going to try it with a Hot Rails in the bridge first (I'm getting rid of the neck p/u altogether and doing a custom control plate for one knob). The body will 100% need routing for the humbuckers.

As for the bridge, yes. I forgot where I saw them. eBay, StewMac and AllParts all have options I'm pretty sure. As well as Amazon.

Check this screengrab from this dude on YouTube who routed his. Very little work, and I'm pretty sure a decent drill and a very course sanding bit will do the trick.)

Good luck man! Post pics when you're done with whatever you settle on!

Attached Files:

3. mamoru

mamoru TDPRI Member

@BigJerm Thanks for the reply!

So, one thing I find curious is that recently I removed the pickguard from my affinity and the Neck pup cavity is fairly different from that image. Mine looks pretty similar to standard neck pup cavity (triangle-ish shaped) so I might have to do some routing on the neck as well, lol.

4. BigJerm

BigJerm TDPRI Member

Oh, yeah. The tele in the pic is different. I forget which, but yeah. Routing varies (among other things) across Fender/Squier stuff, whether or not in the same line (Affinity, MIM Standards, etc).

I'm really picky and OCD about what I want in a guitar, so I understand that feeling like you need to go above and beyond to get what you want. My first guitar was a Tom Delonge Strat and it was amazing and a unique beast. I need several guitars just like it, lol. For budget projects, I've realized there's only so much I'm going to be able to have, so I'm kind of forcing myself to try some new stuff and not be a brat :p

Moral of the story is, maybe try something different! I hate giving up, so if you don't want to, I totallyyyy get it.

5. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

You can eliminate unwanted screw holes just by sticking screws in them! Looks fine, and no one will notice anything. You can even use nail polish on the screw heads to match your finish.

But more important:

Every man on earth should visit Rio before he dies:

I did in 1987, and I'm still talking about it three decades later.

BigJerm likes this.
  6. mamoru

mamoru TDPRI Member

@Ira7 I did thing about putting the screws back onto the holes but I really don't like the aesthetics of it, that's why I'm trying to look for a really clean install

And now that I'm thinking of it, I've never been to Rio. Neither during the Olympics lol

7. mamoru

mamoru TDPRI Member

Yeah, I still can just put a P-90 into the neck as the pickguard would cover any mess lol

8. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

I bought a Tele because that is what I wanted---not P-90s, not humbuckers, but 2 singles---if I feel the need for P-90s I will buy a guitar that has them in it.

Zesty feline and xafinity like this.
  9. mamoru

mamoru TDPRI Member

Thank you for replying!

Well, I do get your point. But I feel there's nothing wrong on trying different things on a tele or any other kind of guitar.

As an additional point, here in Brazil guitars are extremely overpriced. So having a cheap guitar and mod it is a way to experiment different tones without busting the bank.

Just so you can have an idea, a Fender Tele MIM can be bought new for around 500~600 dollars (or at least google told me that lol) while here you will easily find them starting at around 1400 dollars.

See, I'm a bedroom player as I mainly play to have fun and get rid of my daily stress. I'm not really thinking of getting a better quality guitar in a near future as I do like my affinity tele as it is what I was looking for in terms of wood and comfort.

5ofeight and xafinity like this.
  10. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

You could also consider putting a single coil size humbucker in the neck, getting as close to a P90 as possible. This way, you don't have to route/expand the neck cavity, and it's reversible. (You can go back to a single in the future--and don't underestimate the possibilities of a buck bridge and high output single neck.)

And why are the MIMs so expensive there? Is it the import duties, or just crazy mark-ups by retailers?

11. sosay

sosay Tele-Afflicted

do it

12. mamoru

mamoru TDPRI Member

I'll think about it, I'm not really fond of Single coil sized humbuckers, but maybe I should check some options around.

And there are, in fact, some import duties but it's more like a dumb idea of "protecting the national market" by buffing up the prices with ghost taxes.

The dumb thing is, by making imported brands really expensive we are only denying good prices for people on a budget. "Rich" people can still buy a ticket to the States, go to a Samash or a GC, buy it and come back to brazil and still pay less than 1400 dollars.

13. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I live a few miles from The Sawgrass Mills shopping complex, a huge mall in South Florida. (Which means I hate it.)

The place is loaded with tourists from all nationalities, particularly Brazilian. My wife is Venezuelan, met her in Caracas in 1988, so I also see something else going on there:

People go there to shop to also resell in their home countries, and they make more than enough money to cover their airfare and a few nights in a cheap hotel, as well as getting bargains for themselves.

And want to know the busiest store in the entire place?

The one that sells luggage, which people buy to bring their booty home.

14. mamoru

mamoru TDPRI Member

Yeah, that's pretty much the hype when going over to the States. Get as many cool things on reasonable price as possible, lol!

15. greybox

greybox Tele-Meister

I have had 2 teles with p90s (one neck only, 1 that had both). The neck cavity is easy to cover up should you ever want to go back and it sounds amazing (a real p90 is a single coil - but with crazy balls) - the bridge pickup has a few issues though.

When you route the body for it the p90 size bridge pickup on top of the already existing tele bridge hole you end up with a rather gaping hole that is hard to cover. They make a bridge plate that works to mount a p90 (they are wide and kind of ugly IMO) but if you just get a half bridge than you have a strange hole around the p90 pickup. If you try to go back to a traditional tele bridge the plate won't cover the hole either. p90 bridge custom pickguard.jpg p90 bridge hole.jpg p90 bridge.jpg

16. mamoru

mamoru TDPRI Member

Hi, thank you for such a kind reply!

Well, looking at the results on the bridge I might stick to a P-90 on the neck and keep the single coil on the bridge.

Are you happy with how the p-90 sounds on the neck?

17. greybox

greybox Tele-Meister

p90s are amazing in general and a well build modern p90 in the neck sounds really good. There is a benefit to running a ceramic one too in that it doesn't get too lost with bass tones.

The best p90s I have used are the artec brand alnico 5 ones, the mighty mite had no character, the wilkinson was decent too but nothing special. The guitar madness ones on ebay are great for the price (their ceramic is the one I was referring too)

The duncan phat cat was very unimpressive though

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.