1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Affinity Tele - Newbie to modifications/upgrades

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by BackwaterJunction, Sep 28, 2020.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You are welcome! It's a good feeling to actually be able to pay it forward to someone on here, given all the good advice and technical help I've found here over the years.

BackwaterJunction and mkdaws32 like this.
  2. BackwaterJunction

BackwaterJunction TDPRI Member

Ah, I wish I had mates that gave me quality tuners for free. I need better friends! I made a sort of pilgrimage to Denmark Street last year. Spent an afternoon gawping at guitars just sat in the window for over £15,000. It was insane. I'll be off to Andertons shortly and they've always had a good stock so I'll try a few. Got my eye on the FSR Natural Finish of the Squier Affinity; looks a beauty and hoping to try a couple out.

I'll definitely take a look at a steel ruler and gauges; some day I'm gonna know how to do all this myself. Some day...

3. BackwaterJunction

This is such an incredibly detailed response, thank you for taking the time. I'm amazed by how willing people have been to offer advice to a newbie to the forum, and so free of judgement. I'm honestly flattered at how helpful you (and everyone else here) is!

Shielding tape is something that slipped my mind, I'll add that to the list. I've seen I can grab a CRL Switch, CTS Pots, Switchcraft Jack, Orange Drop Cap and possibly Treble Bleed Kit for under £30 total which is a lot less than I imagined I'd have to spend on electronics. Maybe indicative of how weak my electronic knowledge is!

Bubba mod could be one for down the line, though my other Tele has 6 saddles so it's just what I'm used to. Much to consider!

4. BackwaterJunction

As I've put in my reply to jvin248 above, I'm genuinely astounded at how willing people here have been to help a forum newbie such as myself. I've received more advice and discussion than I thought and it's honestly great to have so many additional perspectives. I know far more of what I should be looking for from here; thank you to all who have contributed.

I'll of course pay back through pictures when all is completed!

gregulator450 likes this.
  5. Mark-spark86

Mark-spark86 TDPRI Member

Its definitely worth doing your own work, plus it’s really satisfying when it’s done. I use Northwestguitars.com for most of the parts I’ve used, they have great products at really good prices plus if you need any info they usually reply quickly with loads of help.

00ADA2FE-3258-4CCE-88BA-033125C616A0.jpeg
    finished wiring up the guitar yesterday. Though I forgot I wanted to shield the cavities so will have to take it apart again, not too much of a problem as I need to put a new nut in and new strings as the ones it came with are so bad!

BackwaterJunction likes this.
  6. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

The fun thing about modding a Not-So-Expensive instrument is that you can learn a lot, have a lot of fun, and (usually) not ruin the value of your instrument. Make you a couple of clips on how she sounds before you start the mods and take a lot of pictures....just in case. Enjoy!

BackwaterJunction likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.